1. Dawn Gardner
    Dawn Gardner May 3, 2013 at 5:19 am | | Reply

MikeH – Diagnosed at age 6, I’ve just “celebrated” my 40th year as a Type 1. While there have been a few bumps, I’ve led the most “normal” life I could have ever asked for. I’m married, have kids and luckily, tons of support. Hoping to read more of your story and hoping you continue to see the positives.

2. Laddie
    Laddie May 3, 2013 at 1:53 pm | | Reply

Mike, I read so much of what you write and think that you’re a super-hero. Maybe you’re making a bigger impact on the world now than if you were a professional athlete or a military pilot.

I have one complaint about your post. Did you know that the 80′s and 90′s seem just like yesterday to those of us who were born in the 50′s and 60′s?!

3. Kelly
    Kelly May 4, 2013 at 12:17 am | | Reply

I cant imagine having grown up being told that kind of non-sense!! My BFF was dx’d over 40years ago at the age of 9 after spending 3 weeks in a coma from DKA. She often tells me the stories of things her doctors would say to her as a kid, breaks my heart!

I was dx’d as an adult in 2006 and all my PCP had to say was stay fit, eat well and check often. My daughter who was diagnosed the same year as me (at age 6) never understands why people or kids would feel they CANT do things” just because we take insulin and count carbs with sugar for emergencies” which makes me SOOO grateful she has that perspective! Wow how times have changes! As if Diabetes isnt hard enough without someone/doctors telling you that you cant :(

4. Melany
    Melany May 4, 2013 at 11:32 pm | | Reply

I agree, some health conditions may limit our lives. We always dream to do things that we cannot afford. Thought it is all a matter of life perception and mind set up.

5. Lorraine
    Lorraine May 7, 2013 at 9:59 am | | Reply

We’ve been fortunate enough to have the opportunity to tell so many PWDs directly that they have made this difference in Caleb’s life. He has always had people he admires to look up and see them achieving…you name it. So, as I said that day, Caleb has never wondered if he can do anything because of diabetes. It’s never played into the equation. And that is because of people like Kris. I just can’t believe I still cannot say it without getting all teary-eyed. It is that meaningful of a gift, and something I cannot personally give Caleb, so I am so grateful to those than can and do.

6. Michael
    Michael May 10, 2013 at 5:16 am | | Reply

Thanks for this excellent article! I have been diagnosed with diabetes at the age of 22 and had quite the opposite experience. My doctor told right from the beginning not to let D dominate my life. That’d be the most important thing in diabetes therapy, he said. And it worked perfectly. I’ve never in my life had the thought I wouldn’t be able to do a certain job or achieve a particular job. I believe it matters very much how you start off with this disease. I was lucky to have a good doctor at my side.
    Best regards from Berlin!

7. Amy A
    Amy A May 10, 2013 at 6:32 am | | Reply

Mike, thanks for sharing. I think each of us has to walk that balance between acknowledging the ‘adversity’ (as Kris put it) that diabetes brings us and then moving on in our own best way.

The most significant change I see is within the D community. Most things I read in the early 80′s-90′s were about complications or they were stories of ‘perfect’ diabetics who somehow managed to achieve an A1C of 3 for four decades in a row, with some modest, ‘oh i just watch what i eat’ statement explaining their success.

However, with large thanks due to the online D community, ‘real’ voices are being heard. We have a better idea of the shared struggles and solutions.

This, to me, is a source of great relief, hope, and inspiration. Thanks to all who contribute to this new type of awareness and the success that it breeds!