1. Sarah
    Sarah May 7, 2013 at 6:01 am | | Reply

I love this idea as a parent. The receiver doesn’t go all the way from one side of our house to the other. It would be great to be able to dock the cgm at school (although a bit cumbersome and just one more thing to remember to for our elementary age child). That way you and the school nurse could monitor blood sugars from a distance. Thank you for the post!

2. Bernard Farrell
    Bernard Farrell May 7, 2013 at 6:22 am | | Reply

I just love Dexcom. I visited with some folks from Dexcom and it’s clear how committed they are to better products and great user experience.

The G4 has been a life saver that’s improved my A1C over the Dexcom 7+. I cannot wait for the G6.

Thanks DM for keeping us updated.

3. Sarah Howard
    Sarah Howard May 7, 2013 at 6:44 am | | Reply

This would be amazing. Being able to view numbers from afar while your child is at school, overnights, playdates, birthday parties, even while you are on your first post-D date with your husband!

4. Scott E
    Scott E May 7, 2013 at 6:45 am | | Reply

Call me a skeptic. I like the idea, but with each passing day I have less and less faith in our Food and Drug Administration.

Politics aside – I wonder about this. You mention a “nearby” cell phone. Does this mean it works via Bluetooth (or, perhaps is it a sort of Wi-Fi hotspot?). I imagine it doesn’t work over a a cellular network; or if it does, it either (a) requires a degree of cell-phone guts inside the device, as well as a service plan and approval by the service providers, or (b) uses WiFi to connect to a home wireless network, and then through some service (either cloud-based on Dexcom’s servers, or the user’s email client) sends a message over the wireless network to the targeted cell phones.

I’d love to learn more — there’s a lot of potential here. But that sticking point that I mentioned above — well — that sure is sticky.

5. StephenS
    StephenS May 7, 2013 at 6:48 am | | Reply

Interesting information Mike. I saw a talk recently at a JDRF summit where similar technology was discussed and believe me, parents are very passionate about wanting this like… yesterday. So it’s great to hear that this is in the works. On the other hand, I’ll believe it when I see it. And it’s approved. So I’m not too excited yet. Please keep us informed!

6. Bill Woods
    Bill Woods May 7, 2013 at 7:07 am | | Reply

This looks/is awesome! Great update!

7. Amy O.
    Amy O. May 7, 2013 at 7:14 am | | Reply

I have been waiting for something like this to keep my kids safe. Apps are ok but more like glorified blood sugar logs and the problem has always been trying to get one of the girls to add one extra step of logging numbers. But this, especially since we already are using the G4, could be the answer! I would love to see this approved quickly too. With two about to enter teen years, we need things that we can utilize now to keep them safe!

8. Anna Booth
    Anna Booth May 7, 2013 at 8:17 am | | Reply

Yes! A lithium battery for mobile use! Thank you. (My 12yr old T1 and I were in on the focus group for this at Dexcom). We are now working to get a CGM as we MUST have this product! -but want the “everywhere” option…not just plugged in stationary to a room setting. But we’ll take that for now. Thank you Dexcom!

9. Bennet
    Bennet May 7, 2013 at 8:18 am | | Reply

There are a fee other pieces of the puzzle that hopefully make this magic work for families.

Foremost is that the G4 is in for pediatric approval. For Share to be a relevant tool for families it needs to have a ped. label. In all fairness to the FDA they can’t review stuff that isn’t in for consideration. Dexcom had demonstrated a good working relationship with the FDA and hopefully the G4 for pediatric use will be another example of a mutually respectful relationship. Share then may become a second tool after that ped. application.

The significance of Share as a step (maybe the first) to a class III device device approved by FDA to put information into a smart phone is difficult to overstate.

… and you know me I am fairly good at overstatements. LOL

10. Racheal
    Racheal May 7, 2013 at 8:39 am | | Reply

My daughter will be starting school next year and I’m pretty sure the sleepovers wont be far behind. She has already wanted to have sleepovers at her cousins house. I would love to have the Dexcom Share. It would definitely make a difference in our lives! =)

11. Kirsten
    Kirsten May 7, 2013 at 8:59 am | | Reply

I feel like I’m the only person underwhelmed by news of the Dexcom Share. It’s just so… bulky. The whole point of us loving the G4 is its portability and range. My daughter hands the receiver to her volleyball coach during tournaments, I hang on to it during practice or she pops it in a SPIbelt. Would I love, unconditionally, the ability to leave practice and go sit at a nearby coffeeshop? Absolutely! But, where the heck is she going to put that behemoth? Sure, it isn’t nearly as big as the MySentry footprint, but with all the tech available, couldn’t we gravitate toward a small attachment to the receiver that accomplishes the same end. My old bluetooth dongle wasn’t the size of most USB thumb drives, and it worked fantastic at connecting all my bluetooth devices throughout the house. If we think our kids are resistant to carrying two devices, just wait until you try to sell them on this. It’s going to require moving the Share unit every time they want to switch activities – going from a friend’s bedroom to basement or outside; traveling from class to PE, to music, lunch or recess. And that’s the elementary student – this simply isn’t a solution for the middle, high school, or college age student. And, let’s face it, most of us D parents – we really do want to cover all those ages. The G6 on the other hand, that sounds fantastic!!

1. Craig
      Craig October 10, 2013 at 1:23 pm | | Reply

That was my first thought, too. Hopefully, it’s only a prototype. And as you can see with the Seven Plus versus the G4, Dexcom knows that size is an issue. Even if the first one is big, we can hope that Dexcom will put out a smaller second generation unit.

2. M. Stricklin
      M. Stricklin October 10, 2013 at 2:59 pm | | Reply

Your bluetooth dongle uses your laptop battery (or desktop supply) for its power. This device likely includes a battery the size of a laptop battery for the range it needs. A better comparison is therefore the dongle plus the laptop.

Looking here:
      a bluetooth device with a 100 meter range uses 100 mW, which’ll chew through a cellphone battery in a couple of hours.

ZigBee is a better choice power-wise, but I don’t know of any cellphones that support it.

Really, the block here is the FDA. There’s no reason the sensor couldn’t talk to a cellphone directly, which then forwards the data to the cell network…except the FDA isn’t going to approve medical software running on an iPhone.

12. Tim Brand
    Tim Brand May 7, 2013 at 9:15 am | | Reply

Nice reporting Mike. I’ll be checking out Dexcom at ADA. As a parent with 2 young T1′s this infomation is very important. Also, we have the MySentry/Revel for one dkid and Pod/G4 for the other, having the dock would greatly improve our abilities to watch BG’s. Thanks for the great coverage on this story.

13. Christel
    Christel May 7, 2013 at 11:24 am | | Reply

Thank you for sharing this information, Mike, and delving a little deeper into this technology. I’m looking forward to seeing what Dexcom has coming down the pike, as they’re currently making a huge and positive difference in my life. For T1s who travel, I know this “Share” device will be a way to help alleviate the concern spouses have when we’re alone.

14. Wendy
    Wendy May 7, 2013 at 2:00 pm | | Reply

Now.
    Now. Now. Now.

!!!!!!!!!!!

While I can think of a few scenarios in which the cradle wouldn’t be feasible to use — for example, when she’s running cross-country, or riding bikes around the neighborhood — I can absolutely see our family integrating this device into our life with open arms.

Sweet, sweet Share.

Welcome Home.

Welcome to my purse.

Welcome to my back pocket.

Welcome to everywhere I go, because my phone is with me all. of. the. time when my daughter isn’t.

Come on in, and make yourself comfortable.

We’re going to be great friends…I’m pretty sure of it :)

15. Catrina
    Catrina May 7, 2013 at 2:37 pm | | Reply

I am so excited about this! I’m 15 and have to sleep with a baby monitor so that my parents can hear when my sensor goes off. Also, it would be great for when I’m at friends houses. How far away would it be able to reach? I go out of town for different things, and I know my mom would love being able to see all my numbers when I’m gone!

16. Jenny Sutherland
    Jenny Sutherland May 7, 2013 at 9:06 pm | | Reply

I hope that as Gregg is an Apple user, the Dexcom software will become compatible for Macs as well! I love the forward thinking of Dexcom and only hope insurance will be just as forward thinking as Dexcom seems to be.

17. Paul
    Paul May 7, 2013 at 9:21 pm | | Reply

Wow this would be awesome! I just got a g4 and it would be great if my parents could be updated on my blood sugar levels. I look forward to see what other innovations Dexcom can produce in the future!

18. Dan
    Dan May 8, 2013 at 10:22 pm | | Reply

Well, Dexcom is the best company we have. It is good to see they are working on a better sensor. Let us all hope it is more accurate. I have been using the G4 for 4 months now. It is fair in the accuracy range. However, it can be off by a lot. For example, it is always inaccurate when I exercise. It will tell me that I am 50 when I am 90, or 45 when I am 75. These are large discrepancies. Another problem is if you blood sugar rises at a fast rate. I will be 90 and then rising to 140 over 30 minutes. This G4 will keep going up telling me I am 180 when I am 140. Then I calibrate it and it eventually comes closer to the truth. And on the sixth day of wear of this sensor, be aware!!! This G4 sensor will give you all sorts of inaccurate readings.
    Then here is the real funny part. All this money being used to test closed in loop systems are using the dexcom system. Why? It is the best we have. But it is not reliable in the least in regards to stable accuracy! How is any closed in system going to work with the data coming from G4 sensor? If someone stated they were going to connect me to a closed in system using this dexcom sensor, I would tell them to get lost.
    I appreciate everything dexcom has done. Do not get me wrong. But we have a long ways to go Dexcom.
    In fact, we probably will not get a sensor technology accurate enough for a closed in loop system until the sensor is somehow designed to connect with our blood. That is a fact. I would bet money on this point. That is, all this closed in loop nonsense going on right now is worthless without a blood connected sensor.
    So, instead of wasting money on closed end loop research at this point, we should be putting money to work in first developing a reliable sensor.
    In fact, until we have a reliable sensor developed, closed end loop systems are dead in the water. No one will tell you that because so many people are making money off researching this stuff.
    Intestinal fluid sensors cannot be the gold standard needed for an actual working closed in loop system. That is why it is not accurate. For example, when I exercise, no doubt the blood sugar from my blood is not being dumped into the intestinal fluid. That is why it is always inaccurate and giving me a low reading. It is just common sense. Intestinal fluid cannot be reliable enough to do the job.

1. Doug
      Doug August 12, 2013 at 6:12 am | | Reply

First it is Interstitial fluid not intestinal – maybe due to auto correct –
      Second the G4 Platinum is VERY accurate for me. ANY sensor is going to be reading what happened a few minutes ago, unless the sensor is in the blood stream in the gut. Thats due to the lag time it takes for the Interstitial to gain or lose glucose ….
      The current closed loop ish systems use the lag time in their calculations so the issues you mention are compensated for … If you are having specific issues with the 6th day then you need to work with Dexcom and your Dr and figure out what is going on. For me the First day is sometimes less accurate by the 6th day its pretty good and stays there all the way till I remove it on the 14th-21st day ….

Finally keep in mind you are calibrating your Sensor with a device that is only Accurate + or minus 20% – THAT issue needs to be fixed before ANY meaningful increase in sensor accuracy can be made… thats up to the FDA and the test strip companies …

19. Lisa
    Lisa May 9, 2013 at 2:58 am | | Reply

Not sure why we should be excited by this, ManageBGL.com already does this and more, including PREDICTING Hypos and automated coaching, When is DexCom going to buy THEM out?

1. Lori
      Lori October 10, 2013 at 8:29 am | | Reply

This is not “logbook” info that is sent to your phone or to a doctor this is real time blood sugar level readings when you are wearing a CGM. ManageBGL is a great tool, but it is not sending the same type of info that a CGM is displaying. ** While my son is sleeping his CGM updates every 5 min. and the “Dexcom Share” would allow me to SEE that on my phone instead of waking up at 2 a.m. (and usually again at 4 a.m.) and having to walk through the house to read his CGM receiver. For parents with T1 kids with levels all over (puberty + hormones) this is beyond wonderful!

20. Marlene
    Marlene May 10, 2013 at 9:36 am | | Reply

I noticed that there was no mention of DEX’s partnership with Animas and other pump Co’s for a combined receiver/pump. I thought that was going to be available soon–which is why I chose Animas when my Medtronic wore out. Perhaps that would have been off the topic of remote transmission–but I expected at least a brief reverence. That development would make it SO much easier to log information in order to make sense out of the sensor results, not to mention keeping track of where the **** I left my dex receiver. I am about to go on a house-wide search for mine right now.

Marlene

21. Cherise Shockley
    Cherise Shockley May 11, 2013 at 9:04 pm | | Reply

Mike, Thank you for the update. I want it. I want it, now! *wink*

22. Majorie
    Majorie October 4, 2013 at 5:19 pm | | Reply

The system sounds great and will be a definite asset in diabetes monitoring. However, some of us parents in Canada would love to have that “glorified alarm clock” that Medtronic has. The tones are so low with the pump that even with a baby monitor it is difficult to hear. Any type of device that makes alarms easier to hear is a great device in my books!

23. Dexcom files for patent for smartphone-connected continuous glucose monitoring | mobihealthnews

[...] Dexcom doesn’t have any smartphone connected device, DiabetesMine reported back in May on the Dexcom Share, a cradle that would transmit data via Bluetooth from a [...]

24. kevinlmcmahon
    kevinlmcmahon March 5, 2014 at 2:44 pm | | Reply

Let me suggest another barrier… people’s willingness to pay out of pocket for this tool is not to be taken for granted. I’m pretty sure this won’t be covered by insurance and if history is any predictor of the future very few of the 1 to 2 million type 1s in the USA will actually hand over their cash for an accessory or a non-reimbursed device.

25. Janet
    Janet March 10, 2014 at 3:52 pm | | Reply

A watch (on your arm) that displayed this glucose info would be great not necessarily for young children). That way I don’t have to look at an insulin pump (currently using medtronics enlite pump/CGM) or a receiver or even a phone while I’m in a business meeting (thus not drawing attention to the diabetic in the room that costs the company high insurance costs- this is my own personal feeling but we all know it really does happy in the real world of company’s human resources & finance depts). Thx

26. Julie
    Julie May 24, 2014 at 12:51 pm | | Reply

Any word or updates on the progress of the Dexcom Share? That device would dramatically change my ability to monitor my daughter. I would pay OOP for it!