1. Terry
    Terry May 14, 2013 at 7:26 am | | Reply

This is not funny. The petition that inspired this column was a serious one offered by D-moms who love and want the best for their children with diabetes. I’m not interested in arguing again the merits of their proposal. It was discussed far and wide and I believe it was a painful yet healthy discourse for our community.

One of the primary arguments against the D-moms petition was that it was divisive. This column reminds me of the derisive spite that the “kool-kidz” in grade school would use to marginalize and bully one of the less socially connected students. It totally undermines the earnest charge that the D-mom petition was divisive.

While I love parody, snark, and clever writing, the intention of this column is to hurt. I’m sad to see D’Mine and the DOC adopt this.

I do have a sense of humor but I also have to label this column for what it is: hurtful and divisive.

1. Khürt Williams
      Khürt Williams May 15, 2013 at 3:27 am | | Reply

Terry, chill out!

I have no clue what child related diabetes petition you are referring to, but certainly enjoyed Mike’s humorous piece.

I think I’ll write an article about a petition to save the ADULT D-community from over sensitive parents.

1. Jamie Perez
        Jamie Perez May 15, 2013 at 7:15 pm | | Reply

How dare you?! You are a disgrace to the entire DOC. To the entire D community for that matter. There are plenty of adult T1′s that I have met during our journey that are true inspirations to our T1 children- they are inspirations regardless of whether they disagree or agree with our cause. You are an inspiration to no one- D or nonD. Whether you call your disease Type 1 or Juvenile, you are without a doubt the most juvenile person I have ever encountered.

2. Jamie Perez
        Jamie Perez May 15, 2013 at 8:14 pm | | Reply

I want it to be clear that my previous comment was directed at Khurt only. I don’t think I remembered to put that. The link I included should go to his “petition” blog. Thank you.

1. Jamie Perez
          Jamie Perez May 16, 2013 at 7:47 am |

Khurt, In response to your link to the TuD conversation re: JDRF above: I’m confused. Is it a cure, treatment, or prevention that doesn’t benefit you? Or breakthrough innovations that don’t interest you? Or a world without T1D in which you wouldn’t want to live? I will leave you to your issues as I’m done with this thread now. Its is beneath me.

JDRF Mission:
          JDRF is the leader of the type 1 diabetes (T1D) community—unifying global efforts to cure, treat, and prevent T1D. Through a transformative vision, breakthrough innovations, and effective operations, JDRF is working to remove the impact of T1D from people’s lives until we achieve a world without T1D.

3. Terry
        Terry May 16, 2013 at 8:10 am | | Reply

@ Khurt – You come here on May 15 stating that you have “no clue what child related diabetes petition” that I referred to. Yet on May 14 you posted a blog on your website about that exact topic.

@AmyT, @MikeH – Both of you have done a lot of good for a long time. None of us are perfect but mistakes are hard to admit, especially public mistakes. I wish you both well.

1. Khürt Williams
          Khürt Williams May 16, 2013 at 9:11 am |

I found that petition later while searching for an example petition. I used Google keywords “example diabetes petition” and the found one on the second link. I had no clue if it was related to MikeT’s post or not.

My experience with Type 1 diabetes and the JDRF is that the even though T1 affects more adults than children ( T1 doesn’t go away at 18 ) the JDRF is very focused on the “Juvenile” and not the adult.

Even the JDRF had to admit this themselves.

I started fund raising for the JDRF for several years soon after I was diagnosed with Type 1 as and adult ( 2006 ). I would reach out to the local chapter about networking event or meetings for adults. Nothing. But the chapter had no problem asking me to volunteer at child related events of which there were many. When I asked directly about if they were serious about outreach to the adult community I was told about the “Outreach Kit”: h-kit-to-support-adults-newly-diagnosed-with-type-1-diabetes/

After a few years I started to feel used. Bitter? Yes. I got fed up with parents walking up to me at JDRF events — which we did as a family — and asking which one of my kids had diabetes. Once they found out I was the T1, there was no more interest in talking to me.

The JDRF may have changed their focus to be more inclusive of the large community of adults living with Type 1 but it feels to me that parents have hijacked the conversation around T1.

I don’t think I’m the only one:

2. Andrea
      Andrea May 15, 2013 at 5:31 pm | | Reply

Terry,
      While I don’t think that this particular post was hurtful, I have read a few blogs inspired by the prompt that are particularly snarky and hurtful.

I am in complete agreement that the topic submission and/or selection was directly related to the petition linked in the introduction. If it wasn’t, why not link to the TSA Petition instead? Malicious intentions or not it is quite clear the Name Revision petition was the inspiration.

But, I will say, that I have read some great posts that have found me nodding in agreement wishing it were a possibility to actually petition for their ideas.

2. Bernard Farrell
    Bernard Farrell May 14, 2013 at 8:08 am | | Reply

Wow Terry I can’t see how you connect the two. I think Karen made the suggestion after another suggestion from Briley. I understand the challenges of T1 versus T2 mixup, unfortunately solving that issue will never be easy.

On a related topic, I’ve complained in the past about challenges opening Dex4 tablet containers when low and did see some change. Sometimes HIPA is warranted!

1. Terry
      Terry May 14, 2013 at 8:39 am | | Reply

The connection is simple. Just put yourself in the shoes of the two D-moms that made the petition proposal and then read the column again. Especially with Mike’s explicit links that make it painfully clear which petition inspired this parody.

3. JAG
    JAG May 14, 2013 at 10:29 am | | Reply

Yow, Terry, lighten up. This in no way refers to whatever you think it does. It is plain and simple an attempt to draw attention in a humorous way to what the author sees as a real problem: namely that we are still waiting for Pump/CGM integration to suspend pumping insulin when BG is low.

I agree with the author that the integration of Pump and CGM is going much slower than it should. And I also find this to be clever and well written – looking at the issue from the point of view of a juice box is funny, not “hurtful”.

4. AmyT
    AmyT May 14, 2013 at 11:27 am | | Reply

Agreed – @Terry, no sense sniffing for evil when none is intended here. Mike was just having a little fun with the D-Blog Week assignment that everyone in the DOC should come up with their own petition of some sort.

5. Melissa Lee
    Melissa Lee May 14, 2013 at 12:07 pm | | Reply

I thought it was cute, Mike. Thanks for the laugh!

6. Richard Price
    Richard Price May 14, 2013 at 8:54 pm | | Reply

Lows at night are and have been a serious problem for many years. Insulin is what causes diabetic lows. As for the closed loop system with the shut off to prevent lows sounds like the answer, but, because of the many difficulties
    In matching up a machine with the human bodies unstable complexities, whatever they come up with will require much tender care to operate satisfactorily. There is nothing wrong with hoping for it’s development
    but until it is available every effort should be made to make best use of the current assets available for achieving control today. It hurts to hear of diabetics still being treated not much better now than they were 50 years ago.

7. Jessica Apple
    Jessica Apple May 15, 2013 at 12:24 am | | Reply

Yes, I think it’s clear humor is intended. Mike is a sensitive and wonderful diabetes advocate who is having a bit of fun.

I had fun with this Dblog week assignment as well. http://asweetlife.org/jessica-apple/blogs/personal-blogs/diabetes-petition-blue-mms-for-the-treatment-of-hypoglycemia/32797/

When I was a kid my dad used to buy Chinese candy with an edible wrapper. Like this: http://www.candyblog.net/blog/item/botan_rice_candy/

Perhaps there’s somewhere to go with edible wrappers!

8. Michael Aviad
    Michael Aviad May 15, 2013 at 2:59 am | | Reply

@Mike. Great to see you have a good sense of humour about diabetes – god knows we need it.

9. Jeanette Collier
    Jeanette Collier May 15, 2013 at 3:44 pm | | Reply

I’m one of the co-authors of the name revision petition which proposes to end type confusion by, not changing the name Diabetes, but refining the type classifications to more than just numbers. Don’t you deserve more than a number for crying out loud. You won’t find me posting much because I dislike the civil war that goes on within the DOC – it’s unproductive, disrespectful, and sometimes hurtful – you can call it humor or whatever you want, it’s still hurtful. It’s nice to see that the D-blog assignment of the week was to obviously poke fun at a well thought out, all inclusive & serious effort to repair damage that’s been done by the media to everyone affected by Diabetes. The disease has lost it’s tie to being serious and I don’t know about you but that’s a bad thing for whatever type of Diabetes you’re personally tied to – bad for awareness & bad for fundraising efforts. This blog example, and others like it, create more division within the Diabetic community than I would ever hope to see – the very thing you say you’re against. Type 1 sucks! Type 2 sucks! But I can’t educate, I can’t raise awareness, I can’t even fundraise effectively because no one can keep the 1 & 2 straight outside the D-community (and sometimes within) – so what’s the point in educating when the public isn’t given a real name to associate the different types with. In addition, the public now thinks all D is curable because of the media disservice – who’s going to donate to a curable disease? With some memorable names, perhaps I could start to make a dent in some of these issues but it’s impossible to make any headway with this big friggin’ wall called “confusion” in my way. What we have in place now is not working (we all know this) and I think the confusion is a big part of the reason for the escalation of the forum bashing – it’s worse than ever before. The cancer community is one to look up to because everyone within it has respect for each other, they unite together to fundraise for cancer on a whole yet they completely support each others need to raise awareness for their distinct form of the disease. They say their form (breast, colon, brain, lymphoma..) and even have individual colors signifying their form. John’s dying from his brain tumor but Jane will survive her stage 2 breast cancer – they’re not fighting with each other about “Who has it worse”, they wish neither one had it. John knows Jane’s mother and does not think she’s oversensitive – he can’t imagine having a child with this shitty disease. And if Jane needed something to help others with her form of the disease, John would surely support that. We do not have this in the Diabetes community and I think it’s a damn shame. I won’t be checking responses to my post because, like I said, the bashing is just not for me.

10. Jim Abston
    Jim Abston May 15, 2013 at 7:10 pm | | Reply

Hello Mike,

I really like reading your post and I never thought you could be humorous sometimes. You have touched the lives of people who are having this problem. Keep on posting! :-)

11. Amy a
    Amy a May 15, 2013 at 7:14 pm | | Reply

Love the article. I thought i was the only one who ‘mangled’ juice boxes and the like in this manner. I am defintely sending this to my hubby who sees the aftermath in the morning, (if he is not witness in the middle of the night.)

It feels so welcome to be understood thank you for helping me feel ‘included’ and in on the joke :)

12. Ari
    Ari May 17, 2013 at 7:20 am | | Reply

Thanks for the amusing blog. Keep it up. We have to face our predicament with a bit of levity.

13. Candace
    Candace May 19, 2013 at 4:08 pm | | Reply

I am the wife of a T1 diabetic (diagnosed as an adult) and 2 kids with T1 diabetes, and I personally thought this was hilarious! I’ve personally assaulted juice boxes, applesauce, candy wrappers, you name it when one of my diabetics was low. :) I was also very shocked at how insulted some people got by article. I am aware of the petition to change the name of T1 diabetes, but haven’t signed it. Signing it won’t in any way better inform the fools that approach me in Walmart when I am checking one of my kids because they feel low. Medically speaking, diabetes is the proper term as both T1 and T2 diabetes deal with an insufficient amount of insulin for one reason or another. I also support calling Alzheimer’s T3 diabetes (GASP!!!) because it supports the medical reasoning. Personally, I wish someone would start a PSA drive that informed people of the differences between the many types of diabetes. That is exactly what I do when I’m approached by ignorant people in Walmart that fuss about my “poor children” and how it’s so hard that they “can’t have any sugar ever” and how they hope that they won’t “have to have their leg cut off like dear Aunt Peggy”. I take the time out of my day to kindly and politely inform them that their perception is actually off. Yes, diabetes is hard and it sucks. Yes, I wish my kids and husband didn’t have it. But my diabetics can eat and do anything. And dear “Aunt Peggy” was most likely a T2 that lived years ago and didn’t take care of her diabetes. I plan on changing the way people think about T1 diabetics one person at a time. Join me, won’t you?

1. Jamie Perez
      Jamie Perez May 21, 2013 at 10:10 am | | Reply

Absolutely, Candace, we will join you. It is what we (and likely everyone here) have done every day since diagnosis. We just want a descriptive name other than the numbers 1&2 upon which to educate. We, again, agree that they are all forms of Diabetes. That is not what we are trying to change- just the type classification names. Your example of Alzheimer’s D and supporting that name because it uses medical reasoning hits the nail in the head. That is exactly what we are petitioning about for T1&T2 both. The numbers 1&2 use no medical reasoning whatsoever. If anything, they suggest a progression of the disease which of course is not true. The points you make are great ones in support of our petition even though you, yourself do not support it.

Agreed that the content of this particular blog was not insulting. Neither were many that were written, however some were incredibly insulting.

1. Candace
        Candace May 22, 2013 at 1:55 am | | Reply

I understand your reasoning, but unfortunately, I don’t think it matters what you call T1 diabetes. The general population will still not “get it”. Ignorance, as well as people being content with their ignorance, is the true issue. People have no clue that families like mine with multiple T1s even exist. And honestly, even among T1s, we don’t fit in. My husband was diagnosed at the age of 25 and made it 9 months before he needed insulin. My daughter was 4 1/2 and went on insulin immediately as her blood glucose was 800. My oldest son was diagnosed 4 months ago at the age of 5 1/2, and is still holding his own. No one can tell me why. My husband has never made ketones that we know of (we have tested), and my daughter has only made trace amounts on a handful of occasions. They are all antibody negative, and our daughter came back negative on MODY testing. So, what should I call them? Juvenile diabetes doesn’t fit my husband. Autoimmune diabetes somewhat fits, except no one can figure out what kind of antibodies they make. Insulin dependent diabetes covers a large percent of T2s as well. Really, we don’t fit anywhere. I always tell people I have atypical T1s. It seems to be the best explanation. I tell them we simply replace the insulin that their bodies no longer make. It requires lots of math, and a bunch of sleepless nights. My job description? I’m a wife, mommy, homeschool teacher, and fill-in pancreas. I’m not even kidding you when I say that. It’s on my resume.