1. Joe
    Joe May 25, 2013 at 5:26 am | | Reply

Personally the Bayer Contour and the Contour next have been the most accurate meters that I have used. My A1C’s bear that out.
    The OneTouch and the iBG Star were wildly inaccurate on my numbers.
    Again, my own personal use the Contour Next wins out.

Joe, 50, T2, last A1C 6.0

2. Vicki Baker
    Vicki Baker May 25, 2013 at 8:15 am | | Reply

The One Touch meters have 20% margin of error. The Contour Next is supposed to have a 5% margin of error. If anyone has and/or finds more information on this please post. Thanks!

3. Mary Dexter
    Mary Dexter May 25, 2013 at 3:50 pm | | Reply

Very happy with my G4 and my Nano. However, I’m back on pens because the Medtronic Revel did not always deliver the amount of insulin it said it was delivering. Bubbles, bubbles, toil and troubles.

4. Scott E
    Scott E May 25, 2013 at 6:24 pm | | Reply

I found your findings to be a bit peculiar as well. Since I switched from the OneTouch UltraLink to the Bayer Contour NextLink, I noticed my CGM’s trending more closely to my meter (I’d just finished reading your “Beyond Fingersticks” book, so interpreting the correlation was forefront in my mind at the time). That led me to believe the Bayer has more accuracy, or at least more consistency from one test to the next.

Despite the mouthful of a name, I like the Bayer meter a lot more.

But I also found it peculiar that, just when Medtronic made the announcement that they were switching to the Bayer meter, Bayer announced that they were getting out of the diabetes biz altogether (they’ve since reversed track on that decision,, by the way).

5. Rene
    Rene May 26, 2013 at 11:14 am | | Reply

I too use the Bayer meter and really like it. Scott E. – Did you notice what prompted Bayer to waffle on the diabetes market? I would hate to see them leave.

6. Toby
    Toby May 27, 2013 at 8:22 am | | Reply

My 10 year-old uses the Contour Next and G4. We have found the Contour Next to be amazingly accurate and consistent with the G4. There are too many variables that could throw off your patients results. Perhaps the pharmacy, transporter or regional distributer is storing the strips outside of its specified environmental conditions? Perhaps the one patient got a bad batch? On and on we could go with what could have accounted for their results. Another poster mentioned that the Next is 5% accurate, but I didn’t find that. When we switched to the Next last December I had to call Bayer up to locate the numbers and I recall it is within 15 points accurate under 100 mg/dl and within 15% over 200. We have our son’s meter checked for accuracy at the endo’s and his readings have been within 5% of theirs–even at 200. Bayer’s studies are controlled enough to get FDA approval and its what they publish, so individual variance’s are not likely attributable to the manufacturing process or differences from strip to strip, but a post-manufacturing process (like how their strips are being stored or transported to a particular region). That being said, we have found the Next strips/meter to be amazingly accurate and further confirmed by our endo’s equipment (which I have no idea on how reliable or unreliable that is, just that our son’s Next matches it).

7. Jim F
    Jim F May 28, 2013 at 8:42 am | | Reply

I’m surprised by your problems with the new Bayer meter and Contour Next strips. When I switched, I did about ten comparisons with my old One Touch meter and the readings were consistently about 10% higher on the Bayer meter. I think the Bayer is more accurate because my One Touch was usually lower than comparisons I’ve done with other meters at my endo.

I really like the auto link feature and my Medtronic pump. As for CGM, I gave up on it after two years of wildly inaccurate results and false alarms that messed up the quality of my life. I now test 6-10 times a day and my control and life is better.

Love your column and books, Will. Not many other places to find honest and funny information about Type 1 diabetes!

8. J Andrew
    J Andrew May 28, 2013 at 6:14 pm | | Reply

I haven’t switched to the Next meter yet, but for completely different reasons. 1) I don’t like the fact that I have to charge it, I know it is not very PC or environmentally friendly of me to say, but what happens if we go camping or if the power goes out and it isn’t charged, I want to know I can count on my daughter’s meter to work. 2) I don’t like that you have to push so many buttons, the old meter you put the strip in and it sends results to the pump. “No, I don’t want to comment,” and “yes, send the results to the pump,” are not always going to fly when you have an 8-year-old who doesn’t want to take the time to check herself, let alone answer questions. Am I the only neurotic mom with these issues?

For the 25 test strips I did use, I compared the results with the One Touch and didn’t see much of a difference in numbers. I do like (love!) the smaller size, but then they made the canister for the strips bigger.

Thanks for the info!

9. Siri
    Siri June 4, 2013 at 1:09 am | | Reply

I live in Norway and all the meters tested before being approved by our equivalent to FDA is on this website: http://www.skup.nu. You´ll find the tests in english too, and the new meter from Bayer discussed here is the “Contour XT”. It gets more accurate results than most meters.

SKUP is a Scandinavian co-operation for evaluation of near patient laboratory equipment.

10. Bill
    Bill June 4, 2013 at 11:14 am | | Reply

“It was a small study, but it was good science.” No, it was NOT good science. It is merely anecdotal evidence.

A slightly better study would have had numerous patients test simultaneously with two meters, record both results, then figure out whether one or the other meter was off-kilter.

And you never describe what you meant by the numbers “settled down”.

Sorry, this doesn’t cut it.

11. Ana J. Cox
    Ana J. Cox July 1, 2013 at 8:39 pm | | Reply

I agree with using whichever is closest to your previous meter. My uncle is diabetic and he has been using the same brand for almost three years now, i don’t remember the brand name but i never heard him complain about it’s accuracy.