1. Gretchen
    Gretchen May 4, 2013 at 1:02 pm | | Reply

I have a small Frio pack, and the first time I used it, I soaked it too long. It looked like the Michelin man, and it was difficult to get the insulin vial in it. But I did. And it worked.

Now I keep an eye on it when it’s soaking.

2. JennaGrant
    JennaGrant May 4, 2013 at 1:08 pm | | Reply

You are wise Will! Thanks for the info.

3. Lindsay Panczak
    Lindsay Panczak May 4, 2013 at 3:07 pm | | Reply

Animas USA definitely offers loaner pumps for people who travel internationally. Now that I think of it, Animas has never even asked where I am going, so maybe you can even pull off a loaner for a U.S. trip if you are paranoid about pump failure while traveling. Animas covers the shipping to and from, so the whole process is free (a rarity for anything diabetes related!).

Like you, I never bother bringing Lantus on trips because I always just pack a spare pump. I actually own a spare pump from back in the days when Animas didn’t “buy back” your old pump when you ordered a new pump. The technology is slightly outdated, but the pump still works perfectly fine for basic insulin delivery.

Thanks, Wil, for always offering practical, real-life advice along with some much needed humor! :D

Lindsay
    T1 since age 7….23 years with diabetes and counting!

4. Autumn
    Autumn May 4, 2013 at 4:32 pm | | Reply

Medtronic’s vacation pump will cost you $50 bucks. I used it last year on my trip to Alaska. They give you 3 weeks past your return date to mail the loaner back to them or you’ll get charged for the whole thing. The loaner comes with a battery so you can just preprogram all your pump settings into it before you board the plane.

5. Doug
    Doug May 5, 2013 at 9:46 am | | Reply

The Climapak sounds interesting BUT long ago I learned to stay away from things advertised on late night TV or that are described like this:

“How does it work? Utilizing advanced technology, the innovative ClimaPak transfers heat away from your insulin and regulates its temperature over an extended period, using power from the rechargeable battery.”

Advanced technology ? Wow thats great, but it doesnt answer the question of how it works…

That kind of non answer sales language SCREAMS scam to me …

6. Kate
    Kate May 5, 2013 at 8:40 pm | | Reply

I went on the Omnipod when I was going to Europe on vacation. Before I left, a rep (who shall remain nameless because I really don’t want to get her in trouble) lent me a backup PDM set up with all my info “just in case”. I didn’t need it, but I sure appreciated the extra love.

7. Amy A
    Amy A May 9, 2013 at 12:44 pm | | Reply

Cinnamon whiskey? I thought clear spirits were ‘better’ for your diabetes kit :)

Back up pump has always been my preferred option. I travel every other week. And the back up has come in handy. My doc tried to get me to switch to carrying a lantus pen yada yada. But I explained what WilD said above and he fully agreed.

8. Roger Curtis
    Roger Curtis May 9, 2013 at 10:18 pm | | Reply

Every 4 years my Medtronic Paradigm pump goes out of warranty and I get a new one. I pay the bit extra to keep the old one as a backup. On a trip to Austrailia two years ago my pump froze under a wet suit – turns out the buttons can’t be pressed for too long otherwise the pump locks up as a safety precaution with no remedy.

Fortunately I had my backup stashed in luggage at the mainland airport. It was a long night of shots every two hours until I got to my luggage, but the backup really paid off.

9. Emilio Day
    Emilio Day May 11, 2013 at 3:32 pm | | Reply

The best features of the new system center around Insulin on Board (IOB). In past iterations of the Omnipod, mealtime insulin was not considered in the IOB – only correction insulin. It now considers food insulin as onboard insulin, like many of its competitors’ pumps (with the exception of Medtronic). That change will take some getting used to for people for whom the pod has been their only system.