1. Brian (bsc)
    Brian (bsc) April 2, 2013 at 4:54 am | | Reply

Having recently switched to the Verio IQ, I was both concerned and intrigued by this issue. I found it interesting that the meter had problems at the specific number 1024 mg/dl. For those that don’t reside in a fully digital world, in a base 2 numbering system, 10 binary digits can encode any number from 0 to 1023. So a single mistake in using 10 binary digits instead of more could cause a round off problem.

Then, when I looked, I found that a death was reported to the FDA (overseas) reportedly because a VerioIQ malfunctioned by reporting wrong readings for blood sugars over 1024 (see http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/cdrh/cfdocs/cfMAUDE/detail.cfm?mdrfoi__id=2923284). Apparently readings over 1024 are reported as the reading “minus” 1024, and hence a blood sugar that was actually 1050 mg/dl would reported as a “low” of 26 mg/dl.

I wonder if this is the real story behind this recall. If the meter turns off that is not as dangerous as a hugely wrong reading. Feeling poorly, testing, seeing a hypo and treating the hypo when your blood sugar is over 1000 mg/dl is really, really bad.

I have called and ordered my meter replacement, there is a huge backlog. I’m not particularly concerned, I would have to be tied up and forced to mistreat myself to have a reading over 600 mg/dl, but still.

2. Scott E
    Scott E April 2, 2013 at 5:26 am | | Reply

I read about that one overseas incident and found it peculiar, particularly because hardly anyone outside the US uses mg/dl (by the way, 1026 mg/dl = 54 mmol/l, which could clearly cause a misundersanding between lows and highs, if the symptoms didn’t clarify it first).

This does reveal, though, that the Verio does all its internal calculations in mg/dl, and converts it to mmol/l at the end…for whatever that’s worth. Like Brian said in the above comment, 1024 is a ‘special’ number in computing. 53-point-something is not.

3. Denise
    Denise April 2, 2013 at 7:35 am | | Reply

Oooh, I know when this would be a real problem. . . when you aren’t sure if your soda is regular or diet and you go to test it and it’s regular but instead of saying HI it just turns off. That would cause some confusion. :)

4. mcityrk
    mcityrk April 2, 2013 at 10:44 am | | Reply

1024 implies that the measurement device is probably limited to counting in binary through 10 bits. If the amount of signal present is so large as to count through 1024 before it reaches the normal complete measurement time of the device you sould get a software error that is probably reflected in the device shutting down to avoid giving erroneous info; thus an. out of range overload shutdown. Additionally, most strips are not set up to give quality info much above 600 as the amount of strip reagents present will be reaction limiting not the glucose concentration that you are trying to measure.

5. Janice Longobardi
    Janice Longobardi April 2, 2013 at 7:22 pm | | Reply

Thank you Mike H for shsring such valuable information regarding the glucose meters. This information need to be made public.I am sure some lives have been affected by the malfunction of these meters.Many thanks for the information.
    I will pass the information on to my diabetic sisters, I don’t think they know and they use meters.

6. Jennifer Gibbons
    Jennifer Gibbons April 3, 2013 at 6:05 am | | Reply

I didn’t know about this issue. Good thing I am searching about glucose meter because I am planning to buy one for my grandparents. It would really become a big problem if it can’t tell you the exact level of your sugar. Any good brands out there that you know?

7. Jessica Miller
    Jessica Miller April 4, 2013 at 1:25 am | | Reply

No machine or device is perfect. I don’t know how we can trust our lives to robots. Thank you for sharing this information.

8. rabiatul
    rabiatul May 12, 2013 at 1:16 am | | Reply

can someone help me how to record our data (i mean in numerical) if the blood glucose meter show ‘high’….
    please help me……
    i need to analyze my data