1. David Downs
    David Downs April 22, 2013 at 7:05 am | | Reply

LOVE to read about this progress! I’m hoping it’s a couple short years until I’m wearing a new pump that will make these crucial corrections on the fly … CAN”T WAIT!!

Just imagine, no more surprises waking up at 250. Or mysteriously dropping to 60 for no good reason.

I also love the idea of “treating to a zone” instead of a number. Makes so much sense.

2. Andrea
    Andrea April 22, 2013 at 9:18 am | | Reply

This is super exciting stuff. Even though I still have my worries and hesitations about fully depending on technology, each time I read, I get a little more excited at the potential.

I especially am so glad for the insider peeks at the trials in action. Love this transparency.

3. Scott S
    Scott S April 22, 2013 at 9:39 am | | Reply

Its interesting that you mention Dr. Zisser talked about was dropping the notion of “treating to target” in favor of “treating to zone” because I’m hearing more of this from other researchers, including those at other University. Perhaps its because there has been a realization that “zone” may be more attainable than “targets” are and because the tools we have, including pumps AND insulin are simply not sophisticated enough to enable treating to targets, combined with the realization that targets work better for many different reasons.

4. Riva
    Riva April 22, 2013 at 1:10 pm | | Reply

Was only having men in the study done for a particular clinical reason?

5. Bennet
    Bennet April 22, 2013 at 1:49 pm | | Reply

“The FDA is pushing for products to be close to 100% safe, but diabetes is unsafe! Insulin on its own can cause serious harm, so we need to accelerate access to these tools that help people use it better.”

Yeah the discussion should be about better than the current reality of injecting insulin with less than clear peaking and all the other variables that make it so your diabetes may vary. (plug LOL)

Excellent piece thanks Amy ad mostly thanks for the tone of joy and optimism that is so often absent even the term, trials.

BD

6. Terry
    Terry April 22, 2013 at 3:23 pm | | Reply

Thanks for a peak behind the scenes, Amy. News of artificial pancreas project is often couched in jargon and dry statistics. It’s nice to get the view from a PWD.

I’d love to know what the data revealed but understand that the researchers must closely guard it. I only hope that this project moves along with reasonable speed and is not unduly held up by regulators until “completely safe.” Great coverage!

7. Wendy
    Wendy April 22, 2013 at 5:06 pm | | Reply

Party Study 1 had 5 women. We had a lot of fun in both Parties, and I can’t wait until Party Study 3!

8. Ed Yeo
    Ed Yeo April 23, 2013 at 3:01 am | | Reply

If this trial is successful, I am sure it will help a lot of people with diabetes. :)

9. The World's Funnest Clinical Trial (Artificial ...

[...]   [...]

10. HTTP://Www.Lindenchamber.net/
    HTTP://Www.Lindenchamber.net/ April 27, 2013 at 10:06 am | | Reply

Hello would you mind sharing which blog platform you’re working with? I’m going to start my
    own blog in the near future but I’m having a tough time making a decision between BlogEngine/Wordpress/B2evolution and Drupal. The reason I ask is because your design and style seems different then most blogs and I’m looking
    for something completely unique. P.S Sorry for getting off-topic but I had to
    ask!

11. JD
    JD April 28, 2013 at 3:24 pm | | Reply

HEllo, does any know when the AP will be available for purchase to the ordinary joe (with diabetes) ? Thanks for the background feed back. We are getting closer and closer.

12. Debby Tourville
    Debby Tourville June 7, 2013 at 8:55 pm | | Reply

wow, I wish I lived in a area where trials are being conducted. And would love to be in France :-) Extremely Brittle but Extremely hopeful! Keep it up!

13. Monica
    Monica June 11, 2013 at 9:58 pm | | Reply

New pump .waiting for it.