1. Meghan
    Meghan April 22, 2013 at 3:32 am | | Reply

I think that anyone who thinks the management of type 1 diabetes is completely different than the management of type two diabetes has never known anyone pregnant with type 2 diabetes. However, I’m lucky I only had to do it for nine months. I have another nine months coming. Something else people don’t seem to realize is that many type 2s have their pancreas shit down on them later in life (as this is a progressive disease) and start using pumps and insulin then. There’s a lot if ingnorance within our community about what people with different types have to deal with. Education, not a name change, will help fix this.

1. Meghan
      Meghan April 22, 2013 at 3:33 am | | Reply

Shoot!! Really bad typo in here! I don’t know how to fix it!!! I did not mean to offend anyone!!

1. Mary Dexter
        Mary Dexter April 22, 2013 at 6:49 am | | Reply

“Shit down” I like the expression. Conveys how I feel about my pancreas.

1. Meghan
          Meghan April 22, 2013 at 7:29 am |

Hahaha :D

2. Deanne
          Deanne April 26, 2013 at 12:49 am |

hehe I thought your typo was very relevant!

2. Andrea
        Andrea April 22, 2013 at 9:54 am | | Reply

Wish my typos were as accurate a description as yours :)

2. Hollie
      Hollie April 22, 2013 at 6:03 am | | Reply

What I suggest is that each ‘type’ have their own name and be treated as two different diseases that have similar qualities. Yes, once you get type 2, it is down hill. Even if you take care of yourself and it ‘goes away’, it will come back eventually.

Someone argued that there are more than two types, once you start counting in things like gestational diabetes. I agree, and that is where a lot of confusion comes in.

However, I think if they were both treated as different diseases rather than different types of the same disease, there wouldn’t be any more fighting between the groups and the education and care would be better.

That’s just my 2 cents.

3. Jerry Nairn
      Jerry Nairn April 22, 2013 at 9:50 am | | Reply

Seriously. I have never had a baby and never will. I don’t pretend to know what it’s like.
      When I say my diabetes is not the same as yours, I mean it’s different, not that one is easier than another.
      I started to write about the differences, but they could fill a book, and have filled many books.

1. Meghan
        Meghan April 22, 2013 at 11:04 am | | Reply

I agree there are a lot of differences. There are a lot of differences between individuals within each type too.

2. Stacey
    Stacey April 22, 2013 at 4:49 am | | Reply

IMO if there was an easy name change and it made sense to use it, we already would be. The fact that no one has come up with two easy to remember, media-friendly self-explanatory names for the different types of diabetes is an indicator of how difficult this is (of course, that doesn’t mean it’s impossible)). I’m with Amy and Scott here. I’m a d-mom and the ignorance bothers me, but I try to remember what I didn’t know before my son’s dx.

3. Pearlsa
    Pearlsa April 22, 2013 at 9:17 am | | Reply

Sure have different names but that is not going to help with ignorance. Years down the road little Emma grows up.

Emma is in the lunchroom checks her blood glucose and bolus for her meal.

Coworker – I did not know you have “eat yourself sick” illness.

Emma – I do not, I have “my body attached” illness

Coworker – Well my obese uncles has “eat yourself sick” and does the exact same thing every time he has to eat now. You are not obese but you could loss a few.

Emma – I do not have the same…..

Coworker – (cutting Emma off) His leg has been amputated; his eye sight is failing it is really sad. Good luck with whatever you call your illness.
    ****
    I am sure must type 1 adults can see that conversation happen.

Education and compassion is what is needed but that is just my humble opinion

1. Meghan
      Meghan April 22, 2013 at 11:06 am | | Reply

I wish there were a “like” button.

1. Khürt Williams
        Khürt Williams May 16, 2013 at 9:27 am | | Reply

Brilliant!

4. Meghan
    Meghan April 22, 2013 at 11:32 am | | Reply

I want to add that I as a T2 diabetic in no way think that my diabetes is as severe as a T1 diabetic. Nor do I wish to be considered the same as a T1 diabetic. I don’t think the name change will solve the problem that diabetics see on both sides of the issue. I wish it would solve the problem. I hate being lumped in with T1 diabetics almost as much as T1s hate being lumped in with T2s. There are times when the lumping together is helpful, but there are a lot of times when it’s unhelpful. However, I don’t see any T2s saying that they are ashamed of the stigma of being mistaken for a T1 diabetic, and it’s this stigma reason that infuriates me. It makes me feel like I’m on an airplane where T1s fly first class because they are victims whereas T2s fly coach because their diabetes is a character flaw.

1. Jerry Nairn
      Jerry Nairn April 22, 2013 at 1:14 pm | | Reply

I agree with the sentiments, Meghan. Whenever I explain to people about different kinds of diabetes, I try to make a few points clear:
      1) There isn’t a “bad” kind and a “not so bad” kind. There is no “easy” and “hard” diabetes.
      2) Diabetes can cripple, blind, and kill, no matter what the cause.
      3) No one gets diabetes because they deserve it.
      4) There is a genetic factor in almost every case.

I usually explain until people’s eyes glaze over and they doze off.

Having said that, we don’t, can’t, treat all diabetes the same way. We should not only have one name, with meaningless numerical identifiers.

I haven’t seen a petition for names like “self-inflicted diabetes”, “innocently victimized diabetes”, “lifestyle diabetes”, “genetic diabetes”, “easy to treat diabetes”, “hard to live with diabetes.”

The petition proposes some sensible names.

1. Meghan
        Meghan April 22, 2013 at 2:10 pm | | Reply

Nicely put Jerry! :)

5. Jerry Nairn
    Jerry Nairn April 27, 2013 at 1:51 pm | | Reply

I feel like it’s necessary to point out, for those concerned about the effort and energy and time going into this…

We are talking about signing a petition. The massive effort you’re talking about is clicking on a link and filling in some information. If you do it slowly, it could take two minutes. It takes a little longer to carefully read the petition.

If you were only going to spend ten minutes on diabetes issues this week, month, or year, then yes, this could have a significant impact on your focus. You might do better to spend that ten minutes on something you feel is more important.

For most people, signing the petition will not take so much effort that it will keep them from doing anything else.

Most of us have already spent more time reading about or discussing the petition than it would take to add a name.

6. David Bolt
    David Bolt May 1, 2013 at 9:51 pm | | Reply

I have been a diabetic since 1960 and as fas I know, at that time there wasonly diabetes.This type 1 andtype 2 classification system is just a confusing issue. A nurse I know asked when sheheard I was diabetic asked “do you havee the bad one”and I suppose maybe I do.My endocrinologist has me injecting 6or7 times a day.Stupid.

7. Tami
    Tami June 4, 2013 at 6:49 pm | | Reply

I am in favor of a name change, but not new names with saying diabetes with it. You mentioned T1, T2, juvenile, adult, gestational etc. They all were supposed to be said with the word diabetes after it. Why don’t we just let T2 keep diabetes, since that is what most people think anyway, and call T1 something new without adding diabetes to the end of it. Therefore, we clarify the disease and kids and their parents won’t be misjudged.
    Further, I feel that the research can’t possibly be useful for all types together either. The causes are different, the cures are different. Most T2 are adults, and I think that if I donate, I want my money to go to help out a cure for the babies and children who get T1. They have to deal with it while their bodies are still growing and developing. Not just physically, but emotionally.
    I know its hard for T2, my dad is, but my child and I have had our share of food police and being judged in social settings. They think we caused this with what we ate and that we shouldn’t eat white rice and oranges–silly!
    Most adults don’t tell anyone they know that they have diabetes. Who would want the attention, right?
    Children, on the other hand, have to tell all their friends and the friends parents, and teachers and summer camp coaches etc. No one thinks of this point. All these people know someone with T2 and think they know what they are looking at. The truth is, kids and their parents are treated differently after telling people. We must tell others for safety reasons. Consider what they go through socially when you are thinking if we should change the name.

8. Proud Parents
    Proud Parents July 30, 2013 at 11:09 am | | Reply

Interesting that many of you are so concerned about solidarity amongst the various types of diabetes yet you often patronize parents of CWD over an over again in your blogs and Facebook page.

9. Stupid Things Stupid People Say, Stupidly, to Type 1 Diabetics | Type 1 Philly

[...] getting too old to change the terminology, although there are people who want to refer to it as this. Or these. I’m not interested in any of that nonsense. I’m [...]

10. Julie
    Julie October 8, 2014 at 7:56 pm | | Reply

I really feel a name change is necessary. Type 1 Diabetes needs insulin and Type 2 does not for the most part. I have had Type 1 for the past 36 years and since Type II has become more prevelant there is a stigma attached to it that I don’t want any part of. I cannot exercise and eat right to correct my T1D. I get irritated with the stigma associated with T2D therefore really feel a name change would be better for all involved. I am tired of looking at magazines stating “cure diabetes forever” I’m sorry I CANNOT CURE MY DISEASE. So as soon as I get the opportunity to find a way to change it I will. Peace