1. Brian (bsc)
    Brian (bsc) April 25, 2013 at 5:33 am | | Reply

I have to tell you, I am not so quick to judge Halle Berry. We criticize her for saying she was T1 and then cured, but it is likely that is what the doctors told her. Despite all the recent uproar about there being just two clearly defined types of diabetes, that is just not true. Diabetes is a diverse and complex spectrum of conditions. Michael Barker, an advocate for a form of diabetes called Type 2 Ketosis Prone Diabetes KPD) argues in his blog that Halle Berry is likely KPD.

Look, she collapsed in 1989 at the age of 24 in DKA. Is it any surprise she got a diagnosis of T1? I blame her medical team for the confusion, I don’t blame her.

And she clearly has taken good care of herself. In her own words “That little disease has kept me cautious about what I eat, what I do, if I work out or not. It’s really been a good thing in my life.” I’m sorry, we all look up to Mary Tyler Moore as a model spokesperson. After reading her book, I have to ask whether she lived her life as a model of how to successful manage diabetes?

I would be proud to have Halle Berry as a spokesperson for diabetes, if for anything to show with vivid and personal detail the difficulties many of us have in getting a proper diagnosis.

1. Allison
      Allison April 25, 2013 at 9:10 am | | Reply

I can’t let her off the hook that easily. You can’t blame this entirely on physicians – if she was truly misdiagnosed, she should have come clean. And “that little disease”? Ick. I would do just about anything to NOT have it in my life! But what can I say… I’m 25 and a grad student… I can’t afford for someone else to take care of the “little” details in my life…

So, I’m on board with “IMHO, no.” She should not be a spokesperson for us diabetics. So many people don’t even know anything about her and diabetes…

2. Mary Dexter
    Mary Dexter April 25, 2013 at 6:06 am | | Reply

Is it possible she has a monogenetic form of diabetes? Perhaps her claim that she “cured” herself merely means she finally received the correct diagnosis and treatment. From those of us who were initially misdiagnosed, this is a major accomplishment. We need her.

And what good does it do the cause to have us divided into 2 types of diabetes: those who are righteous and those we should hate?

3. Scott E
    Scott E April 25, 2013 at 6:12 am | | Reply

I agree, Mike, that she may not be the best spokesperson for diabetes. Even if she ‘fessed up to her mistake (or her doctor’s error) in the past, that seemed, in my own opinion, to be done more out of PR necessity than a true desire to right a wrong. The motivation was to make the controversy go away.

Perhaps, as Brian mentions above, she is now fully aware and actively taking care of her own health, but that is done in private (which, in most cases, is fine, but not as a public figure). Compare her to Nicole Johnson who has willingly brought her diabetes out in public in a very big way. Even Paula Deen, whose diagnosis was a shocking reality-check into how she should live her life, has inspired changes in the way she handles diabetes in public.

While I recognize that some of what I wrote above might be inaccurate, these are the perceptions I’ve gained from various forms of publicity, and if you are going to be a public spokesperson, your public image had better be impeccable – hers is not. I’ll hold back on the rotten-tomato attacks, but I just don’t see her face as the right one to promote proper diabetes management.

But this whole story does seem to be an argument in favor of the whole renaming-Type-1 thing.

4. Comedic1
    Comedic1 April 25, 2013 at 6:23 am | | Reply

I’m more inclined to believe she said she’s off insulin so she won’t lose movie roles. Halle has shown herself to be rather shallow at times and IMO as a woman of color in Hollywood, I wouldn’t put it past her to stretch the truth for the sake of her career. Would she make a good spokesperson? Meh. We all know that the main thing most companies want is a spokesperson is face recognition. Wasn’t Dwayne Johnson a diabetes ambassador a few years ago? Does he even have diabetes? Plus we have “celebrity chefs” playing advocate but never opened a restaurant. Years ago having a celeb be an advocate kinda meant something. Today it seems to be a way to promote a movie or make an extra buck. I support grassroots advocacy.

1. Mary Dexter
      Mary Dexter April 25, 2013 at 3:20 pm | | Reply

What exactly do you mean? “as a woman of color in Hollywood, I wouldn’t put it past her to stretch the truth for the sake of her career”

Plus exemplary health care for celebrities? Just ask Heath Ledger, Michael Jackson, Marilyn Monroe or Judy Garland, the list goes on.

How many of you are actors? How many have something besides Type 1 or 2?

I thought I’d get better care at the local med-school affiliated clinic. They couldn’t get me a doc, laughed at my chances of getting an endo, and cancelled my insulin prescription.
      We all have problems in Casablanca…

1. Robin
        Robin September 23, 2013 at 6:09 am | | Reply

@ Mary Dexter – SHAME ON YOU for comparing people who lost the genetic lottery to diabetes (ALWAYS a Type 1, diagnosed in 1974) with people who are/were drug addicts?

An addiction ILLNESS in no way compares to a DISEASE that has to be medically managed. Addicts in treatment are “RECOVERING.” I, and hundreds of thousands like me, will NEVER RECOVER and will NEVER get a break from this disease.
        Daily use of anti-hypertensives, cholesterol lowering medication, baby aspirin, and 6 injections a day of two types of insulin will NEVER qualify me as a drug addict. Michael Jackson, Marilyn Monroe, and Judy Garland were substance abusers and all died of drug and/or alcohol overdoses.

5. Gretchen
    Gretchen April 25, 2013 at 6:25 am | | Reply

I also wondered if she had ketosis-prone diabetes, also known as type 1b. Here’s a link to Michael’s blog:

People with this type of diabetes seem to be very sensitive to high BG levels, and bringing BG down to normal can make it appear as if they’ve been cured. Some see the opposite effect, becoming essentially the same as T1. Many are Dx’d as type 2.

This form of diabetes isn’t well understood, like MODY.

6. SaraMyers
    SaraMyers April 25, 2013 at 6:53 am | | Reply

To be a spokesperson for anything you should know what you are talking about. Halle fails miserably in that department. With her resources, and her platform, she has no excuse. Her misrepresentation cannot be laid at her doctor’s possible misdiagnosis – before you start spouting off about curing yourself you have a responsibilty as a human being to friggin know what you are talking about. She did damage & she has never really taken responsibility for it. Spokesperson? Please! Save us from this beautiful twit.

1. Mary Dexter
      Mary Dexter April 25, 2013 at 7:12 am | | Reply

and yet we accept the expertise of Type 1s who lump the rest of us as the “other” and know little beyond their own experiences.
      The bile pouring forth is upsetting. If she has something that’s neither Type 1 or Type 2, that may be why she doesn’t spend her time explaining.
      Elle est une dame d’une certain age. To quote Barry, “She’s had a long 29.” Male actors are allowed to get craggy and grey as they continue to pursue their art and livelihood. Those of you who won’t even test in public, would you like to lose your job because you just aren’t hot anymore? No, you don’t understand.

7. David
    David April 25, 2013 at 7:52 am | | Reply

Halle is not a credible spokesperson. She has access to top medical care and should know exactly what type of diabetes she has and can correct the record anytime. Like politics, the world of entertainment media is its own unreal universe where integrity in what you say is “flexible.” I do give her credit for hard work to get her diabetes (of whatever type) under control. These efforts are likely to redouble with pregnancy.

8. AmyT
    AmyT April 25, 2013 at 8:22 am | | Reply

What David said! My feeling is that she has access to the world’s top experts, who should have been able to clarify the type of diabetes long ago. It was up to her to tell the truth.

9. Brian (bsc)
    Brian (bsc) April 25, 2013 at 9:36 am | | Reply

Amy,

I’m not really clear that we can call someone a liar unless we know that they aren’t telling the truth. Nobody has ever really asked her. Perhaps DiabetesMine should ask her. Would you be willing to contact her and ask her some questions? How was she diagnosed as T1? Is she really “cured” or did she never have T1. What role did her doctors play in the story line that she was “cured?”

If she is really interested in being a spokesperson and an advocate for diabetes, she should be willing to answer some of these questions.

10. k2
    k2 April 25, 2013 at 10:06 am | | Reply

Brian – I spoke with Halle’s publicist in 2007 re: the weening herself of insulin statement and the publicist blamed it on The Actor’s Studio & poor editing. I pressed the publicist and told her that if Halle wasmisdiagnosed she had a chance to really help thousands of others without access to the best doctors who also received the wrong diagnoses. Her publicist said Halle did not speak about her medical issues – When I pointed out she was a spokesperson for for type 1 and had won awards for being a spokesperson, her publicist stuck to her guns.
    Here’s my post on it: http://diabetesaliciousness.blogspot.com/2007/11/so-back-to-madness-that-is-and-was.html
    Diabetes has many branches and all of them aren’t text book. But if you are going to be a spokesperson than be honest, let us know if there was a misdiagnoses. Because if could happen to her it could happen to anyone. But don’t refer to diabetes as a “little disease.” There’s nothing little about diabetes – It’s enormous and complex regardless of the type – And the public needs to know and understand that.

11. Terry Keelan
    Terry Keelan April 25, 2013 at 10:06 am | | Reply

It was never my impression that Halle Berry had any interest in acting as an advocate for diabetes awareness. Any public statement she has made connected to diabetes seems to me to have been made only about herself and on her own behalf.

Has the ‘controversy’ over her past statements really reached beyond the diabetes community? I’ve never heard anything about it anywhere else and I get the impression we’re shouting inside a bell jar. She didn’t make the statement as an advocate for anyone or anything other than herself. So give her a break. Because she’s pretty. But mostly because all of us have said stupid things before. She’s not the first one to misunderstand their medical condition. Nor the first diabetic to be ignorant about their care or condition. And she’s pretty.

But if she were to show an interest in becoming a diabetes advocate, she’d better educate herself first.

Did I mention that she’s pretty?

1. AmyT
      AmyT April 25, 2013 at 11:06 am | | Reply

@Terry – I think you missed the mention of how Halle has been acting as spokesperson for the Entertainment Industry Foundation’s “Diabetes Aware” public service campaign:

So she IS voluntarily acting as a spokesperson. And yet her publicist states that she “does not speak about her medical issues” – huh? And at the same time, she DID speak out, by making the public comment that diabetes is a “little disease” that she can easily brush off.

Lots of mixed messages there!

And yes, she is VERY pretty. I’m not sure if you were implying that we’re all just jealous, or that we should “give her a break” because of her beauty??

2. SaraMyers
      SaraMyers April 25, 2013 at 11:41 am | | Reply

She is pretty, and she is still a twit! And now she apparently claims she has T2D, is a spokesperson for the cause, but can’t or won’t correct her very loud & public statement about curing herself of T1D. I wonder how much she is being paid. She is a good actress but a terrible spokesperson.

1. Terry Keelan
        Terry Keelan April 25, 2013 at 11:52 am | | Reply

I only mention that she’s pretty because she is! Just wanted to make that clear in case anyone missed it. And I was suggesting that we should give her a break, but only in a tongue-in-cheek way. If she’s presuming to be a spokesperson she should absolutely know what she’s talking about even if she is pretty.

Like you. :)

12. Terry Keelan
    Terry Keelan April 25, 2013 at 10:16 am | | Reply

I’ve known friends with cancer to refer to “my little friend” in regard to their disease. It’s not meant to diminish the seriousness of their cancer or of anyone else’s cancer. It’s a way to cope and a way of speaking ironically about a serious and scary issue. Irony doesn’t always come across and isn’t always well received.

13. Vicki Baker
    Vicki Baker April 25, 2013 at 2:07 pm | | Reply

Definitely not a role model. No diabetes expert would advise or allow a 46 yo T1 or T2 diabetic to get pregnant.

14. Brian (bsc)
    Brian (bsc) April 26, 2013 at 3:09 am | | Reply

Sigh. I feel like we have applied a double standard to Halle Berry. You may object to her statement about T1, but we never ask other celebrity spokespeople to advocate with clarity about the differences. You may not like Halle Berry as a model for T1, but think about the space of diabetes. She stands alone as a someone who can speak for people with T2, people who got T2 young, for people who got T2 despite being slim and fit and providing a model that you can make yourself into a model of health and fitness through your own hard work.
    Frankly, we don’t need another Wilford Brimley. We need someone like Halle Berry to show people a model of how complicated and diverse diabetes really is.

1. Scott E
      Scott E April 26, 2013 at 5:32 am | | Reply

Brian brings up a very good point here. It would be helpful to have a T2D spokesperson who doesn’t fit the sterotypical prototype of “fat and lazy”… there are many people who think the two go hand-in-hand. Someone who is thin, active, and attractive, can sure shatter that perception.

But, again, I’m not sure that she is the person to do that – though she can “redeem” herself (again, we’re talking public perception, which is all that matters as a PR spokesperson. She may be perfectly honest with herself in private) as the general public is usually quite forgiving with a short attention-span.

Something else that I’m having a hard time getting past is her decision to have a child at age 46. Surely, I shouldn’t judge, but in the back of my mind I keep wondering if this is a good idea – both with regards health and the child’s future. It’s not a choice I would make in my own family, and this core difference in values makes me want to distance myself from some of her other choices as well.

1. Mary Dexter
        Mary Dexter April 26, 2013 at 2:45 pm | | Reply

I’m glad you’ve decided not to get pregnant, sir. My sister-in-law had her first at 46. Women do. Ms Berry does probably have access to really good prenatal care.

[I misspelled Barrie in my previous quote, mea culpa, JM Barrie, who wrote Peter Pan. We should wish Halle Berry good luck and good wishes and that she, as is said in Barrie's Rosalind, may continue to have "a long twenty-nine."]

15. Tom
    Tom April 26, 2013 at 5:16 am | | Reply

Perhaps the issue is we expect celebs to actually know what they are talking about. The last 30 years is filled with dopey celebs expressing dopey opinions on just about everything including medical issues. They are not special nor more intelligent than the rest of us. They happen to have a soapbox and talent to become someone else temporality, or have a beautiful voice or are a terrific songwriter. They are not medical geniuses or expert in politics, they’re just people. We need to stop paying attention to everything they say and becoming upset by it, heck most people (including sadly some PWD) have no idea what diabetes actual is. Our lives would be better if we stopped expecting them to know and offer education to those who wish to know more or in the case of a PWD take time out to explain it to them

16. k2
    k2 April 26, 2013 at 10:14 am | | Reply

I wish Halle a healthy and happy pregnancy – Regardless of the type of diabetes or her age, I’m all for it!
    Brian – I don’t feel like we hold her to a double standard, but I do feel that we as a community are frustrated w/ her word choice and her lack clarity re: her diabetes dx. If Halle B can be misdiagnosed, than anyone can – So speak up and be clear because it might just help someone.
    Also, Halle B was always held up by parents to their daughters w/type 1. And with diabulimia running rampant, especially with teenage type 1 girls, “weening herself off insulin,” isn’t the best choice of phrase.

17. Erika S
    Erika S April 26, 2013 at 10:33 am | | Reply

Halle Berry. When it comes to Diabetes, she is an interesting topic to discuss. Some people will stick up for her, saying she was misinformed, misdiagnosed and we all say dumb things. When newly diagnosed we all go through a hard time and may be she just didn’t know what she was saying. But on the other side of things I feel there are only so many excuses we can make for Halle Berry. It’s been YEARS since her diagnoses and her statements that made such a big ruckus. I feel she should have corrected her statement by now. If she still doesn’t know what type she has that’s fine, but correct the statement about being CURED! Personally I have never heard of PKD (type1b) but I have heard that she could potentially have LADA. Another type of diabetes that is constantly misdiagnosed. Well regardless of what type of diabetes she has, she could serve as a big example about how there are SEVERAL types of diabetes and how misdiagnosis is common.

When it comes to Halle Berry being a SPOKESPERSON, I can’t help but scoff at the idea. How can she be a spokesperson when she has a huge Misinformation attached to her? Something she refuses to address.

When it comes to being an ADVOCATE, I literally did scoff and hang my head in shame when I saw her commercial for the Children’s Diabetes Foundation. Don’t get me wrong, the commercial was fine, but just knowing about Halle Berry’s connection with diabetes, I just couldn’t stand the fact that she was used for the commercial. How can someone be an advocate (a person meant to spread awareness and information) when that person has spread misinformation and apparently refuses to be aware and address the issue of her misdiagnosis?

If Halle Berry refuses to address her personal life with diabetes, then she has no place as a spokesperson or advocate. She goes against what advocates and spokespersons stand for.

We all make mistakes but look at the fact that she refuses to even try to make up for her mistake. Just clear things up. If she doesn’t want to do that then I don’t understand why she would even want to be a spokesperson/advocate.

If anything she seems to want it all, not talk about her personal life but have the face time to spread awareness about Diabetes. I think the Diabetes Community deserves someone better to be an advocate/spokesperson. We don’t need someone who is basically trying to hide his/her diabetes.

18. Christina
    Christina April 26, 2013 at 11:58 am | | Reply

I don’t think that someone who is not sharing correct information, or not willing to publicly correct things that may have been said in error in the past, or know in-depth as far as all the different facets of a disease, should be a spokesperson. It doesn’t help when celebrities speak out on an issue and give misinformation….if someone who is totally ignorant on the subject decides to take what they say as true just because it’s their favorite celebrity, then they are misguided as well. On the flip side of that, it is up to individuals to take what they hear and research it out if it is truly important to their lives; not rely on one or two sources.

19. Terry Keelan
    Terry Keelan April 26, 2013 at 4:27 pm | | Reply

Looking forward, I think she’d be a great spokesperson and advocate, as long as she speaks with knowledge and clarity.

Most people who see or hear her in the future won’t have a clue nor will they care about the controversy over her past statements. They only reverberate in the active diabetes community. Her target audience would be the inactive and uninformed, so she doesn’t need to clarify, retract or revise anything, since they aren’t aware of it and don’t know its significance.

If it comes up in the future, she should explain herself, but why bring it up? The point is to bring attention to diabetes and create awareness and action, not to play ‘gotcha’ with the spokesperson.

20. Kay
    Kay April 27, 2013 at 5:53 pm | | Reply

Actually, DailyMail said she had Type II.

21. Michael Barker
    Michael Barker April 28, 2013 at 1:46 pm | | Reply

Here we go again. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, Halle Berry is a classic ketosis Prone Type 2 diabetic. Now that I’ve written that you should recognize that this type of diabetes isn’t classified by the ADA as type 2 but type 1, specifically T1b or idiopathic. Basically, this is a catch basin for all the type 1′s which don’t fit much of anything.

To this very day, researchers are still trying to get this classification changed and trying, as well, to get a better understanding of it. So I’m hardly surprised that she has never heard of it just like most people on this blog have never heard of it.

We are considered the chief reason for the mounting rise in DKA’s around the world. Since there is no way to distinguish us before this abrupt onset DKA has become a marker for us even though most of the people who I’ve come in contact with never went DKA.

The big paper on this was published in 1987. She was diagnosed in 89. She was young, slim and athletic and had gone into a diabetic coma. Pretty standard diagnosis of T1 here. So what if she didn’t show antibodies, frequently T1′s don’t.

Here’s the kicker. This type of diabetes is very sensitive to carbs. If the carbs are high insulin secretion will stay nearly none existent. We typically can’t do much more than 20g at any one meal. If her doctors followed ADA diet recommendations, she would have been on 10 times that in a day. No way would she show much insulin production. The net effect would be that she would remain on insulin as a T1. This is an old story with this type of diabetes. The young Black man in “Raw for 30 days” would be an example.

What would have happened if she had not received the best of care? It just so happens that at least in 50% of the cases, the people recover their insulin secretion in about 9 weeks and go into a type of long term remission and do so without any medications.

Thus we get the legend of T1′s getting weaned off insulin. This is a very short version of this weird type of diabetes. I go into it more here.

22. It's not just Halle Berry I'm worried about. Paula either | Diabetes is no Joke

[...] other day I read a post on Diabetes Mine about Halle Berry and her being a good role model/advocate for PWD.  I kinda’ have my own [...]

23. craig
    craig January 12, 2014 at 12:59 am | | Reply

Honestly, this Halle Berry nonsense has gone too far. I’m Type 1 and have been for 20 years, but everything I’ve read/heard about the Berry case since the beginning is a mess. I’ll be honest- I’ve come to believe that she used DM in order to simply build her name, as a publicity stunt of sorts back before information was readily available, and when her star ascended to the point that she became a A-List celebrity, she was then caught between a rock and a hard place… hence all this confusion/backtracking between Type 1 & 2 and maybecures and “I don’t wanna talk about it anymore” and all the rest. Which is Hollywood in a nutshell, basically.

Any time I see her interviewed and the topic is broached, she just looks like a liar. I’m serious! Like an 8-year old caught with her hand in the cookie jar. Her response doesn’t make any sense and she immediately moves to change the subject. It makes me ashamed and I”m even embarrassed for her, since she probably didn’t even know what she was doing at the time.

Giving her the benefit of the doubt is patently impossible, though. Playing “devil’s advocate” on her behalf now would be pure comedy, “she didn’t know… or… she was misdiagnosed (for 10+ years?!?!)… or this that and the other”- lol, enough! A 22 year-old beauty queen was mistakenly diagnosed as Type 1 when in reality she was Type 2? “Disease” is something else entirely; this would fall in the category of MIRACLE instead. She slipped into a hyperglycemic coma and was only rescued by eating a chocolate bar?! Do I get points for hitting a home run at a basketball game?! It’s bizarro world, 10 stories wrapped together and hoping it’ll stick.

And if nothing else, let’s at least keep in mind that this all started in 1989- not last week. Whatever exceptions/research might have come to light in the interim needn’t apply. It doesn’t sound like Halle and her doctors were stumped for 10 years; it’s more like she was treating her condition with the help of her endocrinologist(-s) and had an epiphany one morning, “You know what, guys? I think I’m Type 2 and this insulin is pointless!” Absurd. You ain’t having that one on me. I mean, even if such a miracle had occurred, it would imply total negligence from all the physicians handling her care, not to mention record-setting ignorance and incompetence on her part as well… all while she’s on top of the world seamlessly managing her body, her beauty and the lifestyle befitting of an A-List movie star? Yeah. Right.

Truth be told, I don’t really care if Halle has our disease or not. If she chose to use it as a point of distinction way back as an emerging actress, I don’t really care about that either- that’s the industry we all love and hate. But if it’s true that she doesn’t know jack about Diabetes, it’s incumbent upon her to fess up… and sooner than later. She’s not helping herself and she’s spreading myths about DM at the same time. There are a ton of celebs out there who legitimately share our condition (whether T1 or T2). I’d much rather they publicize their stories than listen to Halle Berry contradict herself at every turn as she plays an endless game of “Whack-a-Mole” with 25 years of fibs.

24. T
    T February 19, 2014 at 5:42 am | | Reply

I’m not diabetic and I never have been but have family members and friends who are. I do however have mental health issues, and within the MH community if any celebrity tries to raise awareness of the cause or help push out a campaign WE ARE GRATEFUL. Most celebrities are told what to say by their agents and if they get asked a question they werent prepped for they say some ridiculous things. Celebrities are in and out of rehab for eating disorders and other MH issues and usually they are pretty bad role models for the whole thing but WE ARE GLAD THEY ARE RAISING AWARENESS. That the young and beautiful and slim “perfect” people of this world can also get an “illness”. They say a lot of crap that we dont always agree with and they never retract their statements but that also means they dont retract the awareness they have raised.
    Fine, Halle Berry got it wrong. For whatever reason – may be she’s not too smart, her medics were wrong, she is too embarrased to admit a mistake when she’s supposed to be someone who knows what she’s talking about.
    Either way- SHE RAISED AWARENESS. Her fainting on set showed that ANYONE could have diabetes, not just people who are “fat and lazy”. Even if she was diagnosed the next day as not diabetic, that fact that the news had got out that young/healthy people CAN be diabetic and it had been a possibility should have been enough.

A lot of people on this post seem very ungrateful and petty and jealous of someone who is diabetic and DOING WELL. What do you want to have happen to her? Her pregnancy to fail to PROVE a point? Do you want her to collapse in public again so you can PROVE she didnt “cure” herself? Will she then be worthy of representing you horrible, bitchy, jealous group of “Human Beings”?

I have never seen so much hate targetted towards someone who says they have/have had any type of illness.

25. Ike
    Ike March 11, 2014 at 6:44 am | | Reply

I hate Halle Berry with a burning passion. She is a terrible spokesperson who makes me sick. Diabetes, especially type one, is not a “little disease”.