1. Terry
    Terry April 5, 2013 at 8:45 am | | Reply

I love the fact that this initiative recognizes the reality that young adult T1s face regarding alcohol. The parental “just-say-no” fantasy is not only not viable but can be outright dangerous.

2. John
    John April 5, 2013 at 9:09 am | | Reply

When pumping I lowered basals 50% one hour for each ounce of alcohol I consumed plus one hour, so if I drank six glasses of wine, I set the temp basal for seven hours.

3. Chuck
    Chuck April 5, 2013 at 3:30 pm | | Reply

Great post and info graphic to go along with it. I love when I read an article that I can actually go apply to my everyday life. Thanks for sharing.

4. Alicia
    Alicia April 5, 2013 at 7:08 pm | | Reply

It is great to know that there are a lot of people that share information on how to live life while taking care of their health. I’ll forward this link to some of my friends (who have diabetes) that will surely benefit from this information.

5. Tricia
    Tricia April 6, 2013 at 5:01 pm | | Reply

Before going away to college, I was dead set on not drinking – ever! I soon realized that while I may not have that plan NOW, it’s not super realistic to have that mindset for my whole life. My parents were GREAT about my wanting to educate myself about diabetes and alcohol. What we did was this: A couple times the summer before going away to college, we did dinner at the house (something I was CERTAIN of the carb count of) and I drank 1 – 2 beers or glasses of wine. We then tested my blood sugar every 1 – 2 hours ALL NIGHT to see what the effects were. This way, I would know at least somewhat how alcohol would affect MY diabetes.

We also set forth some guidelines for me for if I were to ever choose to drink while away at school. I set a 2 drink per night limit for myself, and said I would ALWAYS wear my medic alert, go with someone I trusted who promised to not drink at all, I would eat a full, fatty, protein-rich meal before drinking, balance every bit of alcohol with water, eat a snack before going to bed, check every couple hours, and actually my RA in the dorm was also great and knowing about my diabetes, she asked me to please let her know if I was ever planning to drink so the could make sure I was home safe, healthy, and in control of the situation – and she also wanted to know where I was going, when, and whom with. She was like a big sister for me there.

This is definitely not something that would work for everyone, for every family, and many parents may freak out reading this, but I felt that if I had at least some inkling of what I was getting into before the moment came, I would be prepared and feel more responsible and not so lost entering into the crazy big 10 university environment.

I think when it comes to diabetes and alcohol, open honest communication is a HUGE part of staying safe and healthy.

6. Tim R
    Tim R April 8, 2013 at 10:14 am | | Reply

I have always limited my alcohol intake to red wine, as I’ve always thought it didn’t spike the blood sugar like beer would. Not to mention, you keep reading and hearing that there are other health benefits to drinking it (heart). Of course, maybe I’m being a little preachy here, but as a diabetic, I’ve always tried to keep the drinking quantity in moderation too. I just didn’t want to take the unnecessary chance that I would do damage to myself, even as a college kid!

7. Karl Fenn
    Karl Fenn April 10, 2013 at 3:05 am | | Reply

I don’t drink anymore, I did my own tests on the effects of drinking with diabetes, drinking a large amount of beer can
    effect and upset the sugar levels in the body, taking a few
    day’s to revover to previous levels, I do drink the odd glass
    of spirit, or wine, this has less effect and it better than
    drinking large amounts of beer, or larger.

8. Did You Hear? | War On Diabetes
    Did You Hear? | War On Diabetes April 13, 2013 at 3:02 am |

[...] Drinking With Diabetes.  Okay, taking a drink now and then is reality for a lot of Diabetics.  Well, lo and behold, there is a website called…Drinking With Diabetes.  This is a great article about that website and what caused it to come into existence. [...]

9. Mollie
    Mollie May 15, 2013 at 7:46 pm | | Reply

I’m pretty pleased to discover this web site. I want to to thank you for your time for this wonderful read!! I definitely savored every little bit of it and I have you book-marked to look at new things on your blog.