1. Sarah
    Sarah April 10, 2013 at 6:47 am | | Reply

I never realized that people with diabetes over produced insulin. It makes sense I just never really thought about it. It sounds like SOGA will help out for people with diabetes.

1. Amy Halvorson Miller
      Amy Halvorson Miller April 10, 2013 at 8:52 am | | Reply

That’s over-producing glucose, not insulin.

1. Terry Combs
        Terry Combs April 15, 2013 at 1:54 pm | | Reply

The body overproduces glucose in people with Type 1 Diabetes and people with Type 2 Diabetes.

The body in people with Type 2 Diabetes overproduces insulin.

2. David
    David April 10, 2013 at 7:40 am | | Reply

Cool, no more dawn phenomenon and lower meal-time spikes.

3. Hannah McD
    Hannah McD April 10, 2013 at 9:37 am | | Reply

As someone who has to take “a lot” of insulin [according to some people], this is ridiculously cool news. I hope they can secure funding and find success.

4. Roger
    Roger April 10, 2013 at 1:51 pm | | Reply

Interesting. But this drug sounds a lot like what Metformin does anyway (reduces hepatic glucose production).

5. Insulin’s Little Helper: A New Pill for Type 1 Diabetes? | Diabeticos Arriba!!

[...] post Insulin’s Little Helper: A New Pill for Type 1 Diabetes? appeared first on DiabetesMine: the all things diabetes [...]

6. Samantha Handley
    Samantha Handley April 12, 2013 at 2:10 am | | Reply

In response to your first sentence, I’d say they’d be crazy but having read this article I think SOGA could be the way forward.

7. John
    John April 13, 2013 at 8:13 pm | | Reply

For over 30 years all I have heard about is research after research breakthrough. At what point does it get bedside? Enough is enough! The JDRF will brag about all they have funded but where’s the bedside results? Is this more smoke and mirrors? I think so! Rather than regurgitate a sales pitch or plead for donations, ask the tough questions and get answers as to when this gets bedside. Stop being everyone’s best friend and co-advertiser for donations.

Is everyone afraid to admit that a cure or non-Sub Q insulin delivery is decades or more away.

The DRI with their Bio Hub press party couldn’t have been more irrisponsible and Riccordi needs to think before he speaks.

1. Terry Combs
      Terry Combs April 15, 2013 at 1:51 pm | | Reply

2-3 years and $2.5 MM will enable human testing.

Can you help?

1. Jennifer Ratliff
        Jennifer Ratliff April 26, 2013 at 8:55 am | | Reply

This truly made me laugh out loud! GREAT COMEBACK! Though I have been hoping for results such as this (1 pill), after 43 years on insulin, it’s difficult to keep it up (HOPE)!

1. Terry Combs
          Terry Combs April 29, 2013 at 9:55 am |

Please see the 2 minute slide presentation posted on http://www.combslab.com for an overview of the science and our strategy to translate the science into an noninsulin oral drug for T1D.

The public organizations that generously funded the research which led to the discovery of SOGA are waiting to see if there is any interest from the private sector.

We NEED your thoughts on how to get the resources to develop the world’s first noninsulin oral drug fro T1D.

Please make this message go viral.

8. David
    David April 13, 2013 at 8:43 pm | | Reply

This sounds quite promising. It has been a while but I seem to recall reading something once before about SOGA. As one who has been taking insulin shots now for 30 years, having been afflicted with diabetes at the age of 27, it would be a magnificent discovery. Since I have no intention of checking out anytime in the near future, God willing, perhaps I will see this come to pass.

9. Lynnette
    Lynnette April 29, 2013 at 3:17 pm | | Reply

Would glucagon still work if a person was taking SOGA along with insulin?

1. Terry
      Terry April 30, 2013 at 6:04 am | | Reply

SOGA is a protein like insulin but, the body is capable of producing SOGA.

The oral medication we are developing will stimulate the body to produce more SOGA to raise SOGA levels in a person with T1D up to normal.

AN ORAL DRUG WILL STIMULATE THE BODY TO PRODUCE MORE SOGA

Would glucagon still work if a person was taking an oral drug to stimulate the body to produce SOGA along with insulin?

Of course it would.

1. Lynnette
        Lynnette April 30, 2013 at 3:04 pm | | Reply

Thank you for the reply. Sorry for calling the drug SOGA — I get that it stimulates the production thereof. My question was based on my understanding that SOGA stops the body’s production of glucose, while glucagon (specifically that which is injected during an emergency) triggers release of glucose. You’re saying, then, that the drug will only raise SOGA to normal levels, so the additional glucagon would still have its desired effect? Much (huge!) appreciation for your work.

10. Taylor Ward
    Taylor Ward May 1, 2013 at 2:51 pm | | Reply

Put this on Kikstarter!

11. sander @ bloedsuikerspiegel
    sander @ bloedsuikerspiegel May 29, 2013 at 4:29 am | | Reply

It sounds promising and I hope they can provide more research details about it.

12. sweetness
    sweetness June 12, 2013 at 7:03 am | | Reply

I been a diabetic for some 30years i take 3-8 shots a day. I would like to try that insulin pill! Really interested to try it!!!

13. Peter
    Peter June 12, 2013 at 8:29 pm | | Reply

This would be just a fantastic plus for everyone but for me my mind goes back to when my 7 year old nephew was diagnosed some years ago. It was such a huge blow to the family and this boy. He was so scared of needles. We had REAL issues with him in the beginning but once he started to feel better he accepted it was going to make his life a whole lot better. It is a walk in the park for him now but I always remember how hard it was and how difficult it can be for kids that young in particular.

14. Patricia
    Patricia June 28, 2013 at 2:08 pm | | Reply

This really is great hope for someone like me, who has been taking insulin for nearly 20 years, But really, need donations? I think you should ask ALL the other beggars ,to JOIN in for this wonderful cure, there are so many organizations that collect millions of dollars every year, ! so where are these donations going?????

1. Terry Combs
      Terry Combs July 11, 2013 at 2:14 pm | | Reply

There are over 6 million people with T1D in the US. If everyone gave $1, there would be enough to develop an oral drug for T1D all the way up to human testing.

The science is solid and there is a competent law firm in place to make sure donations are not wasted.

HELP US GET THERE!

ALL the other beggars that we contacted are not interested in supporting the development of a noninsulin oral drug for T1D.

15. neeru
    neeru July 9, 2013 at 12:44 am | | Reply

PLZ DO THIS RESEARCH FAST AND HELP US TO CURE TYPE 1 DIABETES WITHOU THE HELP OF INSULINE SHOTS

16. Heather
    Heather July 10, 2013 at 9:50 am | | Reply

Would this affect your protein levels? This would be great strides to making it more manageable for type 1 diabetics. My loved ones could benefit from this when it is officially introduced safely, and effectively.

1. Terry Combs
      Terry Combs July 11, 2013 at 2:21 pm | | Reply

The drug we are developing will work by raising the body’s production of a protein called SOGA.

17. Tracie
    Tracie April 12, 2014 at 12:05 pm | | Reply

Terry how can I help to promote your research. I don’t have any money to give but I would like to post things online to see if I can’t get some people to help. I have had type 1 diabetes for 36 almost 37 years.