1. Andrea
    Andrea April 20, 2013 at 9:20 am | | Reply

If I may offer my advice to Leslie, as well. Do not be afraid to contact your endo. Anytime I’ve had to take my daughter into the ER (local and not a children’s hospital). and the one time they’ve tried to dismiss me. I called our Endo. This one particular time when she was fighting an awful virus and fever and they decided to keep her overnight on fluids, our Endo made it clear that all management decisions would come from us. Thankfully the medical staff (other than the jerky ER Doc) was ok with this and I worked with the nurses so that they could document the bg tests taken, insulin decisions I made and why. I think that some in the medical profession forget that they are partners in our care, not dictators.

1. MikeH
      MikeH April 20, 2013 at 10:15 am | | Reply

I’ve been to the hospital once in the past 12 years or so for an extended stay because of food poisoning, and that’s exactly what we did – no one made any D-decisions without my wife’s (then-girlfriend’s) prior knowledge and OK. If that was an issue, they were to call my endo first. One tried to take away my pump “for my own safety” and inject me with 25 units of Regular insulin when I needed my basal over a period of time. When I wouldn’t let her, she threatened to call security to hold me down… to which I threatened to sue and have her medical license revoked. I’m one of those people convinced that ERs and hospitals will result in my demise if I’m not careful, and so I always make sure that there’s someone with my well-being and D-expertise on hand.

1. Andrea
        Andrea April 21, 2013 at 5:46 am | | Reply

100% agree.

Even if I take her to our family doc when it’s not urgent enough for an ER but I need peace of mind to get her checked out. I will tell them, I am not bringing her here for help with her diabetes, but I am going to tell you what is what I am seeing and why it relates to her symptoms.

My dad is a DO and is the first to say that there is a reason it is called “practicing medicine.” There are many doctors out there in the mindset that they’re always right and unfortunately there are patients who do not advocate for themselves. I certainly agree to have someone with who can advocate for you if you are unable. Thank goodness for your other half. (It always makes me glad to read of those living with d to find such supporting relationships)

It reminds me of shortly after my daughter was dx’d and I made it clear to the school and her after school care that she is in charge and to never dismiss her just because she is a child. If she even whispered the words “call my mom” they were to stop everything and do it. I think I scared them a little but she felt safer knowing she had that in her back pocket :)

2. Brian Bosh
    Brian Bosh April 20, 2013 at 9:48 am | | Reply

Can’t speak for Mm, but Dexcom broadcasts on 5 separate frequencies in that neighborhood, sequentially, for 10ms per freq (to compensate for interference). So it spends a grand total 50ms (one twentieth of a second) every 5 minutes broadcasting and further, it’s a trivial amount of power (which is why the range is so short). Nothing to worry about.

3. Mary Dexter
    Mary Dexter April 20, 2013 at 11:25 am | | Reply

This is precisely why we need to advocate for better diabetes education for medical personnel. We tolerate their ignorance at our peril.
    Ignorance from its root ignore; to refuse to know; to disregard intentionally.
    Those who have not had access to the information but who are willing to learn differ from those who are rewarded for their education and training but who choose to cling to their ignorance. They should wear red coats, not white, emblazoned with the words: Caution! I refuse to learn about diabetes.

4. Leslie
    Leslie April 23, 2013 at 12:07 pm | | Reply

Thank you Wil and everyone! MikeH, what a horrible experience. I’ll be ready to whip out the Texas Patient’s Bill of Rights next time too. I really appreciate learning from you all!

5. A.D.Hopkins
    A.D.Hopkins April 26, 2013 at 8:53 pm | | Reply

I am an 80 year old retired R.N. (Occupational Health) and know exactly how ill prepared some nursing practitioners are. Just after Christmas, 2012 I was hospitalized for some cardiac problems and attempted a short stay at a hospital where my doctor is on staff. After 2 days of fighting verbally with my assigned nurse and the charge nurse about ALL my medications, I requested to be discharged. I had explained that the medications be given in a specific sequence on my first day on the ward. On the second day the assigned nurse brought the wrong meds first thing in the a.m. I reminded her of our previous conversation about medicine sequencing and she just looked at me and said,”Yeah, you told me that yesterday.”. When I attempted to speak with the charge nurse, about this, I received a long lecture about “Doctors order medications, not nurses or patients”, which didn’t even make sense. I called my attending M.D. and requested to be discharged. He agreed, wrote the discharge orders and I went home. I did a bunch of diagnostic tests as an outpatient over several days. It was safer that way. This experience and others comments in this discussion make me worry about the educational preparation of all current students and recent grads from nursing schools. Confrontational conversations and supercilious attitudes have no place in a health care setting.