1. Gretchen
    Gretchen April 27, 2013 at 5:14 am | | Reply

Instead of the confusing Type 3, why don’t you change DLife’s definition to Type F, for friends and family. That would be easier to remember.

2. Tim Steinert
    Tim Steinert April 27, 2013 at 8:43 am | | Reply

Ooh! Oooh! And Halle Berry should be Type ST#U!

3. Mary Dexter
    Mary Dexter April 27, 2013 at 9:36 am | | Reply

Another definition of Type 3 is that which is caused by famine. A Western doctor serving in sub-Saharan Africa proposed the idea when he noticed an upsurge in the number developing diabetes in countries where previously large portions of their populations had died of starvation. Just as Sickle Cell Anemia protects against Malaria, scientists are wondering if insulin resistance might be a genetic response to an unfulfilled need for sufficient food, not just in starving countries, but in pregnancy and some adolescents right before sudden extensive growth spurts ( some gain a foot of height in under a year).

I haven’t heard of much progress on the theory. To many, it probably smacks of heresy since it’s the antithesis of the Obesity Epidemic.. We’d need to get rid of the guilt and the blame and the shame and the stigma. The hatred. The idea that they deserve what they got. That enjoying food is not a sin. That no one deserves to suffer. That everyone deserves a pleasant life, not just us, but them.

1. Mary Dexter
      Mary Dexter April 27, 2013 at 9:38 am | | Reply

I meant we need to get rid of the idea that enjoying food is a sin.

1. Mary Dexter
        Mary Dexter April 27, 2013 at 9:42 am | | Reply

The last 3 sentences are ideas we should embrace. [sorry, rather inarticulate this morning.]

4. Carol11
    Carol11 April 27, 2013 at 10:38 am | | Reply

I second Gretchen. I was about to suggest that myself. Great minds think alike LOL

5. Jeremy
    Jeremy April 27, 2013 at 12:09 pm | | Reply

I had no idea that the smell/look of your urine could indicate a serious illness. Just goes to show if you notice anything out of the ordinary you should consult your doctor.

6. Brian (bsc)
    Brian (bsc) April 28, 2013 at 7:19 am | | Reply

I’d like to offer a counterpoint to Wil’s comment on ketones. I agree with Wil, in this case, after a “sugary dessert” and a blood sugar of 124 mg/dl ketones are unlikely. It is also true that many T2s (and T1s) follow low carb diets. These diets, when you eat very low carb and fast between meals can cause “ketosis,” a normal condition that simply reflects the fact that your body is burning fat. Usually this doesn’t cause enough ketones to make your breath smell, but it can, especially if you exercise or are very strict about low carb. There is no danger in “ketosis” as a normal metabolic state with a normal blood sugar, it is only a problem when you have a highly elevated blood sugar.

7. John
    John April 29, 2013 at 4:37 pm | | Reply

I also agree with you that for now, when I hear Type 3 Diabetes, it means friends and family of the person who has diabetes.

I have a friend who has diabetes and she agrees with you that Type 3 usually means her friends and family.

It’s really kinda of funny how you described the drama over the “Type 3″ because it sounds exactly like an internet flame war on reddit…

8. Penney
    Penney May 4, 2013 at 7:22 am | | Reply

Another comment on ketones…high protein, little or no carb diet can cause ketosis also. But that sounds unlikely considering his confession to a sugary dessert :)