1. Scott E
    Scott E March 6, 2013 at 5:11 am | | Reply

Combining the many disposable parts into one is a nice touch- hopefully it translates to less waste overall. I love the simplicity – it seems geared toward people who want to move beyond insulin pens but are intimidated by the fancy-schmancy full-featured pumps with complicated set changes and bolus wizards (does it have a bolus wizard even?). It’s not for me, but I believe there is a real market for it.

Love the name, too. The Pearl is the name of, and reminds me of an old Motorola cell phone that was a flop. Snap is perfect.

2. ColleenAZ
    ColleenAZ March 6, 2013 at 6:52 am | | Reply

I like some aspects of this. Tell me that set changes are going to be less frequent and faster and you’ve got my attention! But all those disposable parts seem like a big waste; and I agree with Scott above, I want all the bells and whistles and bolus wizards and a modern feel. I’m frustrated that i have to choose between one or the other! I’m sick of people asking me in shock..is that a…. PAGER?! lol…

3. Bernard Farrell
    Bernard Farrell March 6, 2013 at 8:45 am | | Reply

I really like the open software idea, good for you Asante. This looks like a great alternate to pumping systems already on the market.

For me, 300 units is almost a week’s worth of insulin so I’m not sure I like the pre-filled cartridge idea.

Have you any idea what the minimum basal rates are? Also what the increments are for carb values, etc?

1. Melissa
      Melissa November 19, 2013 at 9:03 pm | | Reply

I’m trialing this pump right now, and since the insulin never leaves the glass cartridge, you just use the pump body until you’ve used up the insulin, meaning you change the site only. I’m on day 5 of my current cartridge. The viability of the insulin is never compromised the way it would be in a plastic cartridge.

4. David
    David March 6, 2013 at 9:39 am | | Reply

Oh Snap, more PWD’s may pump if the cost proves
    cheaper than other systems.

5. Judi
    Judi March 6, 2013 at 10:19 am | | Reply

I would try this pump and buy it if it had the features I needed and worked well. The only problem I see right off is my insurance has Novalog in a lower tier than Humalpg, so the insulin cartridges would cost me more. This is such a different philosophy than other companies with new pumps that won’t even let you trial them when you want to buy their product. A nice change.

6. Kristin
    Kristin March 6, 2013 at 12:59 pm | | Reply

Thanks for the review. Honestly I have never really been bothered by the amount of time that it takes me to fill my pump. So they probably aren’t marketing to me.

I wonder about the recurring costs of the insulin in special cartridges and the disposable parts. Sounds like a way to charge us more for insulin.

It also sounded like more waste to me at first (but maybe I am wrong). Hope that Scott is right that it could mean less!

7. John
    John March 6, 2013 at 7:21 pm | | Reply

As I said to someone, the cartridge limitation isn’t really an issue. They could get approval for glass cartridges in the humalog form factor and users could fill them. Its a quasi standard fir cartridge syringes like for novocaine. Diesetronic used to offer empty ones for Dtron+ if I recall

8. Lillian Papp
    Lillian Papp March 8, 2013 at 5:26 am | | Reply

This is an amazing device with such a light and smaller pump
    and the price will beat out your competitors.

Great article for Asante. Lillian Papp

9. Christina
    Christina March 10, 2013 at 9:01 pm | | Reply

I like the cost factor. Perhaps PWD with minimal insurance will be able to afford this. I’m not sure about the 300 unit reservoir- that would last me a week and a half or so. So would I be wasting all that insulin at the end of the week, or could I just replace the site that in me? And what happens if I get a kinked catheter- can I just replace the catheter at the insertion site or do I have to waste all the insulin in the cartridge? Are we talking 1 piece or 2? (reservoir and catheter or all in one?). I wouldn’t be a happy customer if I was paying for cartidges that I had to replace for reasons other than it was out of insulin and time for a new one.

10. Guilherme "Gil" de Paula
    Guilherme "Gil" de Paula March 23, 2013 at 10:06 am | | Reply

Is the “disposable pump body part” really disposable? You said it contains a battery and can store settings, which means it also contains an electronic memory chip, and that makes it costly. If it’s really disposable, that would make the system more expensive than just the $700, since the user wouldn’t only have to replace the insulin cartridge. They would also need to buy this “part” periodically. How often does that “body part” need to be replaced? How much does it cost?

Thanks, Gil.

P.S. I really like the open data exchange interface. I hope other companies follow suit. The ideal situation would be for all pump makers to get together and come up with a standard for that data interface.

11. Tim Jones
    Tim Jones May 7, 2013 at 11:38 am | | Reply

I wonder why a brand new insulin pump on the market would not have an integrated glucose monitor.
    I would not consider a pump that does not have it.
    Currently that limits me to Minimed or Animas.
    Dexcom has Married their sensors to a couple more pumps that are not out yet.
    It seems like this company has ignored the most important improvement in diabetes management- the continuous glucose sensor.
    Everyone else has one in the works if it is not already out.

1. Doug
      Doug May 20, 2013 at 5:45 am | | Reply

Tim

Animas doesnt yet have GGMS integrated and Minimeds is not accurate… So while I agree that its a nice to have feature … no one is doing it well now …

12. Ed
    Ed June 3, 2013 at 6:58 am | | Reply

I met with the Asante rep about a week ago and I’m waiting for my insurance company to approve the switch from my horrendous Omnipod system. Some things I like about the Snap:

Pre-filled cartridge
    Quick priming
    Controller attaches to body
    The connection between infusion set and cartridge is very secure
    Company-sponsored recycling program; send them the used bodies and they pay for shipping
    Very little insulin wasted—you can change the infusion set without tossing out the cartridge in the body
    Diabetes educators on call
    Currently made in the USA

About the only thing I’m iffy about is the display.
    I probably won’t be able to read the controller without my reading glasses, but once I get used to everything, programming should be a snap :-)

And an unrelated comment: I have had diabetes for about 38 years and have seen amazing changes throughout the years. One thing that hasn’t changed is that I still have diabetes, so I don’t care if you call me diabetic of a PWD. It doesn’t change how I treat my diabetes or how I feel about myself. Political correctness has no place for me in how I treat this chronic disease (along with a couple of others).