1. Wil
    Wil March 5, 2013 at 5:41 am | | Reply

I can’t imagine anywhere in the body that is immune from the immune system…. It seems to me that this is the fatal flaw for this concept. You need to fix the leak before you refill the bottle!

1. Kristin
      Kristin March 6, 2013 at 1:11 pm | | Reply

I was trying to find out how this hub is protected from our immune systems gone wild! They keep emphasizing the focus on not needing anti-rejection drugs, but I think that this is a pretty big piece of the puzzle. If that is still missing, then I am even more skeptical about any 5-7 year estimate.

2. P's Dad
    P's Dad March 5, 2013 at 5:43 am | | Reply

Great write-up. Thank you DM!
    One additional angle that seems to be missing is that the DRI may have been prompted into this by another announcement earlier this month – JDRF investing $3million in San Diego based ViaCyte, which is pursuing a very similar solution.
    A kind of diabetes-cure–race may be happening here, similar to the NASA v Russians space-race in the 60s. In that case huge breakthroughs came from the desire to ‘be first’ – I can only hope the same will happen here and a viable ‘cure’ will result sooner rather than later!

1. Scott E
      Scott E March 5, 2013 at 8:14 pm | | Reply

Of all the reactions I’ve read today on various blogs, twitters, and message boards, I really think P’s Dad is on to something and we should all think about what he said.

The timing of this announcement isn’t based on some recent medical breakthrough, but on competition.

Not that competition is a bad thing – it’s not. But “real” medical news, discoveries that are peer-reviewed and government-approved, don’t get released in this manner. This is the handiwork of a highly motivated PR machine.

3. amireally
    amireally March 5, 2013 at 6:08 am | | Reply

what i wonder is if this will just fix the insulin issue, or if it will fix the other hormones that are off in us diabetics too? though people don’t talk about it as much, research has shown that our amylin and glucagon secretion is diminished or paradoxical (we get it at the opposite of when we need it) and that’s a signficant part of why controlling blood sugars is hard and also part of why we’re at risk for dangerous lows.

can the islet cells make glucagon cells that act appropriately and amylin producing cells too? or just insulin producing cells?

4. donna
    donna March 5, 2013 at 6:42 am | | Reply

I don’t get excited about potential cures, inventions, or improved insulins. But I do like to keep abreast of it all. When the g4 came out we were the first in our endo office to get it. We don’t use it all the time but it is great to have it. I want to try degludec when and if that comes out here. We make sure we use the meter that utilizes the smallest sample for comforts sake. And I read in forums for care ideas. Its all part of trying to be a good d parent. I guess I am a realist. I hope there is a cure someday, but until that day, if it happens, I will continue to utilize the best the world has to offer in care. I want to walk that fine line of helping my child be healthy, but also happy, and therefore not have his life taken over by d.

5. Kathy
    Kathy March 5, 2013 at 6:57 am | | Reply

Tomorrow is my 30th diaversary. My parents were told a cure was 5-10 years off when I was diagnosed. I don’t believe I’ll see one in my lifetime. If there is a “cure”, I will put every kid under 21 in front of me in line. If there was a solution for the worry, the what-ifs, the highs and lows and the constant drain of monitoring – that would be a miracle. Not sure science is there yet. Sorry, I know it’s important work and I respect the DRI, but this is just another fictional mouse to me.

1. Becca
      Becca October 14, 2013 at 9:07 am | | Reply

On Christmas will be my 11 year diaversity… I was told diabetes would never be cured when i was diagnosed.
      You have to look at the bright side, Kathy. Even if this doesn’t work, that means that they are getting closer to a cure.

6. Chris Stocker
    Chris Stocker March 5, 2013 at 7:42 am | | Reply

Last year I was invited to take a tour of the DRI research facility with my family and the entire tour was based on everything that was in this video. Everything in this video was shown to us and the researchers explained how it all worked, so I’m just wondering why it took so long, over a year, for it to go public with a video?

Is it because of the 4 minute (and change) mark of the video where the request for more money comes in? Or where if we, as in the private funders, those living diabetes, don’t step up we won’t receive this BioHub?

I think this is great news, but I heard this stuff a year ago, without an e-mail teaser campaign, and countdowns and big PR hype, so it just seems too much like a commercial for me.

7. Don’t Believe the Hype
    Don’t Believe the Hype March 6, 2013 at 5:01 am |

[...] Mine New DRI Mini ‘BioHub’ Organ Would Mimic a Healthy Pancreas (a great explanation of the [...]

8. Florian
    Florian March 7, 2013 at 11:48 am | | Reply

LifeCell in New Zealand encapsulates insulin producing cells from pigs in a gelatin capsule. The capsule pores allows small insulin molecules to diffuse out and prevents the large host immune cells (white cells) from attacking and killing the foreign insulin producing beta cells. I would not call it a cure but an advanced biological treatment.

9. Beth
    Beth March 9, 2013 at 6:09 pm | | Reply

This absolutely blows me away. I wonder if this could be the beginning of some other insane medical advancements… or if the body will simply not interact well with it…

10. The BioHub Brouhaha of 2013: An Animated Retrospective | Typical Type 1

[...] It was the BioHub! A small sponge-y thing that goes in your body that makes insulin! You don’t have to take anti-rejection drugs! It gets all filled up with re-generated or transplanted islet cells, and the scientists can keep it healthy with “helper cells” and oxygen and things. (For a very well-written description of the BioHub, see Mike Hoskin’s DiabetesMine article.) [...]

11. Jessica Molina
    Jessica Molina March 24, 2013 at 7:15 pm | | Reply

I am 35 years old with, Type 1 diabetes,and would like to know more.

12. John
    John October 8, 2013 at 4:42 pm | | Reply

This is nothing but a headline for dollars. More irresponsible dribble.