1. Laddie
    Laddie March 1, 2013 at 6:08 pm | | Reply

You’d think that someone who went to MIT could figure out Type 1 because we know that God only gives Type 1 to math majors. But MIT can only address the numbers and meditation goes beyond that to help the mind. Stay strong and steady as you continue your journey and thanks for sharing your story.

1. Kevin
      Kevin March 21, 2013 at 9:10 am | | Reply

So true Laddie :)

2. Robin
    Robin March 1, 2013 at 10:52 pm | | Reply

I recently returned from a week-long silent meditation retreat where I also had the best numbers I’ve ever seen. The small meals I ate had an impact, but I even had to reduce my basal. It was wonderful, but did not last. I’m working on finding a middle ground for my eating plan.

1. Kevin
      Kevin March 21, 2013 at 9:11 am | | Reply

Robin – glad to hear someone’s positive experience besides my own with meditation and diabetes. Thanks for sharing and I agree, the challenge is finding the balance in everyday life.

3. Reed
    Reed March 10, 2013 at 1:30 pm | | Reply

I had not considered meditation until I was asked by a friend to be his “buddy system” in an 8 week Mindfulness course. As a friend, I participated but I didn’t even know what Mindfulness was. The benefits to my type 1 diabetes have been impressive. My reaction to the stresses of diabetes have moderated and very possibly the stresses themselves don’t trigger the same variation in blood sugars as they did before.

An important perspective is in the video posted at the bottom of the post: viewing ourselves as participating in a larger community versus society’s paradigm of us against others, including our diabetes. I’m now optimistic about the role that our mind plays in managing diabetes along with diet and exercise. (Interesting that Gary Scheiner’s new book discusses these three attributes!)

4. Kevin
    Kevin March 21, 2013 at 9:12 am | | Reply

Thanks Reed!

5. Harriet
    Harriet December 6, 2013 at 3:44 pm | | Reply

Thanks for your input on meditation, stress-reduction and BG’s. I try to meditate or do Centering Prayer nearly every day. I experienced the best most even BG’s ever while staying on a Food Plan that involves protein at each meal, whole grains (weighed, of course) and vegetables 3x a day. Reduced my daily insulin by nearly half; A1c was 6.2, a new “low.”
    My struggle is with ‘accepting,” after 49 years (!) the ups and downs, the low and high BG’s, the frustration of wanting to take a long hike or walk a Half Marathon when my BG is not where it needs to be. I found this web site while searching for some sort of spiritual retreat for people with Type 1. Even after all these years I want to fight the DM and eat what I want!! Any suggestions would be most welcome. Thank you! Harriet