1. Karl Fenn
    Karl Fenn March 23, 2013 at 8:06 am | | Reply

Sorry to hear someone find’s themself in such a predicament, such a situation causes serious anxiety for anyone, of course Europe is not as it used to be, firstly it’s very hard to get to a foot clinic now, and I had to take dire steps on my own foot, to remove a ingrown toenail, we had good foot clinics about a decade a go, but they appear to have dissapared, Of course i have been reading some articles in relation to diabetics in UK prisons, it shows a sorry state of care standard, judging by some of the letters I have had access to from prisoners, I have to say only seen a few but that was a enough, of course as you point out, in some parts of the world, people simply die with diabetes due to simply no resources, howver I do not consider why this should be in a country like the USA, what has it become a third world state, I thought obama was doing something about health care there, obviously, not the case.

2. Lola
    Lola March 23, 2013 at 1:54 pm | | Reply

Another possibility for the rash is Dermetitis Herpetiformis, which is associated with celiac disease, another autoimmune disease. Many people with diabetes also have celiac disease, which may go undiagnosed for years. Just another possibility to add to the diabetes-related skin conditions.

3. pwd doc
    pwd doc March 23, 2013 at 5:38 pm | | Reply

People with diabetes can also have conditions not related to the diabetes. Have you switched laundry detergents or soaps recently? Taken any new medications? Sounds like maybe you should get an opinion from a second dermatologist.

4. karl Fenn
    karl Fenn March 24, 2013 at 12:02 pm | | Reply

I am not giving medical advice but can only say what I have witnessed in relation to diabetics in my own area, firstly diabetes does effect the legs, this seems to be one of the most common complaints, there is a diabetic problem that relates to blood flow in the legs, this can cause a red rash, in some cases I have seen the lower legs turn a red to purple type colour, I have seen a number of people with this condition, one the worst problems I have seen is ulcers in the leg, these can be serious, I saw one woman where a leg ulcer had become out of control, it had appeared to spread out of control from her foot to 4 inches below her knee area and effectively taken over the whole area of her shin, it was vey bad I don’t really know what the hell her GP was doing leaving it that way, leg ulcers can be a serious problem with diabetes, it is sensible to check you legs often,I use a mirror, the sooner leg and foot problems are discovered the easier they are to treat, if negleted they can take months to heal, some problems with disclouration of the legs can be due to bad circulation, where blood has difficulties in retuning up the leg, I now people have inproved the situation by wearing stockings or keeping their legs up when resting, it does appear to help, it is of course most important diabetics become aware of legs and feet, and examine them on a regular basis, any changes should be reorted to your doctor or health provider.

5. karl Fenn
    karl Fenn March 24, 2013 at 12:14 pm | | Reply

I might just offer some free advice from my own experience, you can buy a very cheap mirror about 10 x 12 inches for just
    a few pounds, after a bath or shower position the mirror on the
    floor and hold you foot about 10 inches above it, you will get a
    clear view of the sole of your foot, if you notice anything irregular or detect any problem, go to health care centre
    or doctor for advice. You can detect problems very early
    by using this method.

6. Hans
    Hans March 25, 2013 at 1:09 am | | Reply

True, test strips come for free for pwds on insulin here in Germany. But prediabetics and type2s on orals usually don’t get any unless they pay for them out of their own pockets. And pockets are shrinking. So to have a low cost solution to reccomend I tried [url=http://www.insuliner.de/insublog/wordpress/servicebestellung/betachek-teststreifen/]these visual strips[/url] we can order for 12 € per vial. But what makes them really cheap is you can cut them in halves, and they do still work properly thus delivering a test for just 12 Euro Cents.