1. k2
    k2 February 13, 2013 at 1:35 pm | | Reply

Thanks Mike –
    And you know I’m all about the media getting the diabetes facts right and call them out whenever they don’t!
    And while that reporter in Chicago was the very picture of unprofessionalism & diabetes idiocy, the station’s General Manager whom I spoke with many times over a 3 day period, was incredibly professional & and took the time & asked me all sorts of detailed questions regarding diabetes. He asked what an insulin pump was and how it worked & he wanted to know why the reporter’s info was wrong. And he corrected her mistakes in both the video and online hard copy of the story.

You can read about our conversation here:
    Unfortunately. as the AP picked up the story – more diabetes myths were added.
    We, all of us, people with diabetes and the people who love us, mustn’t hesitate to call out the media & Hollywood whenever they perpetuate diabetes myths instead of diabetes realities!
    Kelly K~

2. Vicki Baker
    Vicki Baker February 13, 2013 at 2:37 pm | | Reply

As a diabetes educator I see many newly diagnosed PWD who think that eating sugar caused the diabetes. I have to clarify the myth often. It goes all with the “blame game” as people blame themselves for getting diabetes.

3. Diabetes dad (Tom Karlya)
    Diabetes dad (Tom Karlya) February 13, 2013 at 4:19 pm | | Reply

Thanks for including me Mike—greatly appreciated. Nice to see my friend Bill Sorensen and I in the same article. Just as a clarification; it was not my intent to suggest the movie was ‘bullying’–it was more misinformation. It is the taunting of kids that I am reading about more and more that disturbs me. My question is simply; does misinformation and the ‘joking’ of diabetes misunderstandings open this door of bullying as ‘an accepted’ practice—-which it clearly should not.
    Thanks.

4. Joshua
    Joshua February 13, 2013 at 5:07 pm | | Reply

There was a late 80′s horror movie called Warlock that had a the main hero as a type 1 diabetic, and from what I remember, did so fairly accurately. I swathe movie a year or two after my diagnosis, and alway thought the end was satisfying to my inner diabetic. (Spoiler I guess: she kills the bad guy with an insulin syringe filled with salt water. I guess salt kills witches…).

Made 11 year old me feel like I was safe from warlocks and witches. :)

1. Melissa Lee
      Melissa Lee February 13, 2013 at 5:24 pm | | Reply

Joshua, I felt the same way about Warlock as a kid! Haha! I thought, wow, I know just how to defeat them now!

5. k2
    k2 February 13, 2013 at 7:31 pm | | Reply

Joshua –
    Thanks for reminding me of the movie “WARLOCK!” I remember watching it when I was younger & thinking that Lori Singer’s PWD character ROCKED!!

6. Dean Massalsky
    Dean Massalsky February 13, 2013 at 11:01 pm | | Reply

Diabetes seems to have become an acceptable punchline. It pisses me off. Both my sons are Type 1, and honestly just want to smack the people setting back the work that the folks trying to get valid info out are doing. David Sedaris’ new book is called ” Let’s Explore Diabetes With Owls” . I don’t know the content yet, but I’d be willing to bet if it was called ” Let’s Explore Breast Cancer With Owls”, NPR, PBS and his publisher would catch hell.

7. The Sarcastic T2 Diabetic
    The Sarcastic T2 Diabetic February 14, 2013 at 4:40 am | | Reply

Just look the the movie “Steel Magnolias” They hyped up the type 1 diabetes one of the characters had.

In my opinion all diabetics get a bad rap in the news, movies, et.al.

8. Mary Dexter
    Mary Dexter February 14, 2013 at 3:17 pm | | Reply

If we were as in your face as the pink ribbons of breast cancer awareness or as loud as the AIDS awareness people were, people wouldn’t dare say some of the things they do. The Diabesity movement and the Type 1 vs Type 2/righteousness vs blame game also just fuel the flames. We need to come out of the shadows.There is money to be made by pitting us against each other and pretending it’s just a “lifestyle” issue. That’s what they said about another health issue 20 years ago. Maybe we need to take to the streets as well.

9. Jamie Perez
    Jamie Perez February 15, 2013 at 9:19 am | | Reply

Mike, this is a very timely and much needed post. Some of us T1 moms in the DRI’s PEP Squad Facebook group have decided we have had enough. Many of us have written letters to media, letters to heads of company’s, and even gone on radio shows trying to dispel the misconceptions; but to no avail. We are fighting a losing battle with the public who is unable to move past their established misconceptions and actually listen to what we say. They may hear public service announcements or explanations by celebrities, but they do not, and will not, process the information. They have their preconceived ideas about diabetes and that will not change with any amount of clarification of the differences between Type 1 and Type 2. Therefore, we have decided to go a different route. We are going to file a formal petition for a name-change for the disease. We are going to request a change to a name that does not include the word “diabetes”. We are currently formulating the petition and determining the best on-line avenue for posting it. We will then need the support of all the DOC in signing and promoting this petition. We would love any help you could provide us. Thank you!

10. Christina
    Christina February 15, 2013 at 11:10 pm | | Reply

Thanks Mike for the shout out – I was beyond impressed on how quickly the Diabetes community came together to educated the reporter and her affiliates regarding the misinformation.

I believe I also heard the Do No Harm was cancelled – thank goodness.
    Haven’t seen Hansel and Gretel (mostly it just looked silly even if Hawkeye was in it). Sadly I think some people while recognizing it is a fantasy movie may still associate the “sugar sickness” /diabetes thing with too much sugar.

Im glad to hear the JDRF works well with Hollywood (not that I would have ever doubted it). Education is key in ending misconceptions. It is sad that some wont consider supporting a cure for diabetes because of “blame”. Which of course is why it is great that the Diabetes Dad himself is taking a proactive stance (not that I think he is ever passive). With Tom involved things are certain to improve for us all.

Great post Mike. Thanks again for the shout out – Im not happy about being in this club but I sure do love the members.

11. Eric
    Eric July 14, 2013 at 2:09 am | | Reply

In Hansel and Gretel it is all about witches….Who’s to say the directors weren’t like “Well this IS candy made by evil witches, if they can’t eat the child they want to go out causing damage. And this candy when overly ingested severely poisons the system causing a condition that must regular be treated (coincidentally it almost 100% mimics diabetes..) If anything it should make you all feel sort of connected to the Hansel the character as you to an extent know the feeling of needing insulin as a daily thing for those with type 1. It’s a fiction, I’m pretty sure the directors did not intend any offense that you picked around for.