1. Tim Steinert
    Tim Steinert February 23, 2013 at 11:19 am | | Reply

Ugh. Using CPR as an example of what laymen can do to help medically is a BAD example. Just listen to Radiolab’s “The Bitter End” and you’ll find that CPR as a treatment is horribly ineffective from PROFESSIONALS, much less laymen.

Generally speaking, is the internet the cheapest place to procure pens? Do you know if there are programs to help low income diabetics afford these pens?

2. Vicki Baker
    Vicki Baker February 23, 2013 at 1:18 pm | | Reply

I had a low blood sugar at work and a co-worker called 911. Yes, I had glucagon in my desk drawer and everyone knows it’s there and how to use it. The cue to my co-worker was that I passed by my own office indicating to her that I was confused. One of co-workers asked me if I was mad that she called 911. No and like the co-worker who called 911..how do you know at times just how fast you are going down. Better safe than sorry.

3. Tracey
    Tracey February 23, 2013 at 3:21 pm | | Reply

I’m married to a T1 (luckily we work at the same office) – but imho the scariest thing about *not* telling/training work colleagues is the risk that they’ve seen too many crappy tv shows. You know the ones – the PWD has slipped into a hypo and there’s major panic to find and inject insulin *facepalm*. So if you do have a nasty hypo, in their misguided attempt to help they’ll quite literally kill you with kindness.

Oh, and it will also help them understand that if you are acting like you’re drunk, and/or being surly and belligerant, or downright mean – it’s not because you hit the pub at lunchtime, or that you’re being an a-hole. Chances are it can be fixed by a handful of jellybeans :)

4. Richard
    Richard February 23, 2013 at 5:16 pm | | Reply

Not sure if this applies to all countries, but companies of a certain size over here (I think it’s more then 20 people at work at one location) are required to have a certain number of staff trained to deal with emergencies. This includes very basic medical training and I explained my situation, symptoms and remedies to them.
    My direct co-workers also knew I was diabetic and the basic symptoms. It has gone wrong only once, but in a major way (my levels were not going upwards even with glucagon and I had blacked out). As I was working in high security building at the time (air locks, biometric scans, the whole lot) this was literally a nightmare scenario.
    Everything went off without a hitch however, they had me in an ambulance in amazing time and contacted family, etc. I am still terrified of this scenario happening again (glucagon not being enough, completely blacking out) but if it happens at work, I couldn’t be in better hands. Basicly they had a basic script for if something like this happened and adapated it for diabetes crash based on the information I provided them.

I don’t think talking about Diabetes should be awkward, every coworker of mine I’ve talked to about it, knew other people who also had Diabetes. They often felt however, that it would be awkward for them to start a conversation about it as they were aware it is a very personal thing. I think that getting the ball rolling is in the hands of the diabetic.
    In addition, and I think this important, my direct coworker told me she was so glad she knew what to do when it happened. Sure, it is incredibly awkward to have the talk “what happens when I go crazy and/or collapse on the workfloor”, but its nothing compared to the shitstorm that happens when you do go crazy and/or collapse on the workfloor and nobody knows whats going on or what to do. Sure, it has happened once in the 8 years I have type 1 diabetes, but without my coworkers it could have been the last time it happened and everyone is very pleased that wasn’t how it went.

5. Kate
    Kate February 24, 2013 at 7:26 pm | | Reply

I’ve had T1 for about 6 years, and while I’ve had some nasty lows, I’ve never had a blackout/seizure experience. However, I am on the committee that was sponsoring an educational conference. One of the attendees had a seizure due to hypoglycemia, but NO ONE had any idea what the hell was happening (whether she had a hypo or epilepsy or something else) because she had nothing on her person or in her purse explaining the issue. If we had found a glucagon kit, I would have gladly administered it. It was absolutely terrifying and disheartening to not be able to help her! I have since reviewed how I act when I get low (and what to do) with all of the people who are around me at work and at play, and it doesn’t offend me in the least to have someone ask me if I’m okay.

6. DiabetesLifeguard
    DiabetesLifeguard February 25, 2013 at 9:50 am | | Reply

There are products in development to make glucagon pens like EpiPen (e.g. GlucaPen) which would be much easier to use.

You would think the insulin companies would jump on the chance to develop one of these products, but that doesn’t seem to be the case – they seem to think that these user-unfriendly kits with exposed needles are OK in the 21st Century.

Wake up Sanofi, Novo, Lilly ! – your insulins may cause less hypoglycemia than this competitor or that one, but ALL your insulin products do cause hypoglycemia, and you should step up to this reality by providing a user-friendly product to the patients whose use of your produces is both life-saving, but also dangerous!

7. Robin
    Robin February 25, 2013 at 9:24 pm | | Reply

I haven’t had a hypo that I was unable to handle yet, but I was diagnosed as T1 only a little over a year ago. I started letting people at work know right away, just in case. It’s no big deal in the workplace; I take my PDM to lunch so I can bolus and carry a tube of glucose tabs to meetings along with my CGM receiver.

But I don’t have a glucagon kit; my doctor has never mentioned it to me. I guess I should get a scrip for one to keep at home in case my husband needs to use it on me and another for the office – I work with nurses and doctors so there are many people around who would be able to handle it.

This disease sure requires lot of equipment.

8. Stefan
    Stefan February 27, 2013 at 5:25 am | | Reply

Unfortunately, that Glucagon app is available in the US iTunes Store ONLY. I’m in The Netherlands, and the Glucagon app is NOT available in the Dutch iTunes Store. I guess Lilly thinks none of us Europeans can read English (or need Glucagon education)

9. Puddin
    Puddin March 11, 2013 at 11:04 am | | Reply

I have always worked with at least one other person in my ‘team’ or physically nearby who was also a PWD. We connect, talk about lows, and help each other out in the workforce. At times, we use each others equipment to test or even shoot up. It’s comforting in a weird way…

10. Beatrice Robinson
    Beatrice Robinson September 19, 2013 at 5:40 pm | | Reply

It is always better to be safe then sorry. Never neglect the things that will keep you safe which includes bringing medications for your condition. On the other hand, lifeguards should know how to handle Diabetes cases too. There is a reason why they are called lifeguards because they guard or protect lives.