1. Marcus
    Marcus January 23, 2013 at 6:27 am | | Reply

Good post, Mike. I’ve been on Synthroid for about 10 years, after having 1/2 of my thyroid removed for a benign tumor. In many ways, it frustrates me more than diabetes. With diabetes, I can correct a low within minutes and a high within a few hours. With the thyroid, as you know, it’s a much more subtle process and every tweak in medication takes a minimum of days to see a result. And while I think the “tailspin” described in the Same/Same/Same campaign is a bit reaching, it’s definitely a condition that responds well to consistency. Then again, what isn’t?

2. Jess
    Jess January 23, 2013 at 7:55 am | | Reply

I think it’s important to note that so many with T1D are not more prone to thyroid issues due to “whacked out metabolic systems”, but rather autoimmune dysfunction. Hashimoto’s and Graves diseases are both linked to T1D as they are also autoimmune diseases and quite different from other types of thyroid disease. I’m sorry you did not point this out in your article!

3. mollyjade
    mollyjade January 23, 2013 at 9:32 am | | Reply

That thyroid/chiropractic website you linked to is really sketchy. I expect better, more science-based information from Diabetes Mine.

1. AmyT
      AmyT January 25, 2013 at 1:15 pm | | Reply

@mollyjade – thanks for keeping us honest.
      In fact, Janie A. Bowthorpe is a legitimate patient advocate for thyroid treatment: http://www.blogtalkradio.com/lifelessonsnetwork/2011/12/03/stop-the-thyroid-madness-with-guest-janie-bowthorpe

You may or may not agree with her views, of course.

4. Paul Patten
    Paul Patten January 23, 2013 at 10:49 am | | Reply

Thanks for pointing out that while women with thyroid issues outnumber men with thyroid problems men particularly with another autoimmune disease such as type 1 diabetes have it too. I was diagnosed with Hashimoto’s thyroiditis following the removal of one lobe of my thyroid because of a suspicious goiter in my early twenties. I was not diagnosed with hypothyroidism until about 30 years later.

5. Marielaina Perrone
    Marielaina Perrone January 23, 2013 at 11:42 am | | Reply

Excellent Post. Thyroid disease is a very tricky diagnosis as most people are unaware they even have it initially. Thank you for bringing light to this.

6. Susan
    Susan January 25, 2013 at 4:33 am | | Reply

Great article and very informative. I have bookmarked several of the sites you listed. I have 2 kids with hypothyroidism. They both have Down syndrome and people with DS have a higher chance of developing it. A yearly thyroid test is recommended for all people with DS. In addition one of my guys has Type 1 diabetes.

7. Gay Winterringer
    Gay Winterringer January 26, 2013 at 6:16 pm | | Reply

I have been a Type 1 Diabetic for 45 years and my physician (mean old guy) prescribed thyroid ASAP.
    I am thankful now! He was old and knowledgeable.

8. Anke Troeder
    Anke Troeder February 3, 2013 at 8:44 am | | Reply

Anyone (and especially every woman over 30) with T1 should be checked for Hashimoto, which is not just Hypothyroidism but another related autoimmune disorder. I have fought five years against poor standard/norm values (TSH/FT3/FT4). Since I am on L-thyroxine (Oct 2012) I have a new life, new energy, a new brain. And Diabetes is not a cruel, demanding queen anymore.