1. The Sarcastic Medved Type 2
    The Sarcastic Medved Type 2 January 8, 2013 at 4:42 am | | Reply

There is word that is used in the computer industry to describe these products. “VaporWare”.

2. Michael Aviad
    Michael Aviad January 8, 2013 at 4:54 am | | Reply

I saw the new Solo (with the integrated glucose monitor) about a year ago. It looked like an old device, with a large PDM that has a small screen. While the world has evolved the Solo has basically remained the same for the last 3 years since Roche acquired Medingo.
    When I saw the Solo it was still being developed (last stages) by the Medingo group, but since then Roche has closed down the IL operation.

3. Mary Dexter
    Mary Dexter January 8, 2013 at 6:17 am | | Reply

Asante pump sounds interesting. I remember when I switched from pens to pump wondering why I had to fill it like a syringe rather than just popping in a cartridge. Back on syringes and pen now and will be until some manufacturer finds a way to prevent bubbles forming in the reservoir. This way I at least know how much insulin I’ve taken.
    (And yes, I always used room temperature insulin. Just got tired of flushing bubbles several times a day to keep my glucose below 400)

4. David
    David January 8, 2013 at 7:29 am | | Reply

Tx for the report. Waiting for new diabetes tech is like watching grass grow…

5. j
    j January 8, 2013 at 1:39 pm | | Reply

“stay tuned to the European market” ?? I live in the “capital” of the EU and most of these products or there former generations aren’t very accessible here. When i asked around, no endocrinologist or practitioner had ever heard of the omnipod or was familiar with a similar concept …. just saying….
    That might have something to do with the fact that no CGMS whatsoever is supported by our social security system.

6. Emily
    Emily January 8, 2013 at 2:46 pm | | Reply

I have been consistently reading this blog for years, and I need to be brutally honest: I am sick of the negative tones radiating from this site. Why do you all (Mike, especially) use every post as a chance to negatively portray device manufacturers and the FDA? While things could more faster, these companies are changing our lives, even if it may not be at lightning speed. I’d rather wait a little longer than have a potentially faulty device, thank you very much. Please remember how far we’ve come in only a short period of time and also remember that negativity does not get anyone far at all. So cheers to all that we, as a diabetes community (pharma and FDA included) have achieved!

7. AmyT
    AmyT January 8, 2013 at 3:08 pm | | Reply

@Emily – this might surprise you, but we’re not nearly as critical as some in the diabetes community.

Also, at this year’s DiabetesMine Innovation Summit, FDA folks themselves were quite self-critical and admitted they’ve made mistakes and been the bottleneck in the past. They seem committed to improving their processes, which is wonderful!

Finally, I see us at the ‘Mine as the biggest cheerleaders on all that we in the DOC, along with pharma and FDA have achieved in the past years! But we can’t just cheerlead; we have to also be honest and critical when necessary.

8. Type1Engineer
    Type1Engineer January 9, 2013 at 7:58 pm | | Reply

All of these devices are toys and jokes unless the medical device companies decide on using *the standard* protocol for dealing with medical device data.

It is called IEEE 11073. Google it, Amy and Mike. There is even a detailed wikipedia page on this protocol.

Instead of advocating for cute little pieces of eye candy medical devices and other gimmicks for technologies that are now refined (BG Meters, Insulin Pumps, CGMS Devices), your team should be advocating for standards for dealing with data and putting pressure on the medical device companies to stop using proprietary data storage and encryption.

The next step to truly improving diabetes care is to create a “diabetes operating system” (and a device using the IEEE 11073 standard) that can control all of your diabetes devices wirelessly, receive the data generated from the diabetes devices, and help you make decisions in real time.

Without the IEEE 11073 standard, this feat is virtually impossible. Also, “current solutions” such as being locked in to an integrated insulin pump (e.g. Minimed 522/722), which uses proprietary data storage, is not a solution. It is not pragmatic-the user interface is garbage, and it is not practical for a lot of people.

Also, your technology “correspondents” do not have realistic opinions or decent insight regarding emerging or future technologies. As an engineering student (who, by the way, should had graduated by now but has a RARE autoimmune disease-and also had to decline a six month internship with a company that starts with IN and ends with TEL due to her health), you need either a technologist or an engineer as a consultant. Bernard Farrell or Jeff Mather from the DOC would be much more realistic.

I am also EXTREMELY tired of all of you proposing using a smartphone to control diabetes related devices. From an engineering standpoint these are the BASIC problems, in principle:

1. It is insecure

2. It is not equipped to handle powerful data structures/process complicated data

3. Cannot multitask efficiently/effectively

4. Cannot handle data in the real time (you have to (explicitly) upload the data to your phone)

5. Is not meant to handle rough use and abuse

Plus, wouldn’t you want something much more powerful than a smartphone to deal with diabetes-related data?

My personal solution for the time being is this- I carry around a netbook loaded with programs, a scale, and diabetes care equipment, and I upload data to the netbook, I run the data through programs I wrote in MatLab in order to make virtually all of my dosing decisions with the netbook. If I am not using my netbook, I am using my HP 50g calculator with various programs for dosing.

I used to be a huge fan of your site. Now, I cannot help but cringe (and even want to bang my head against the wall) when you and your consultants write about new and emerging devices on this website. Amy and the DiabetesMine team, you really should be consulting engineers and technologists and weighing in their statements and positions with highest priority before ever writing about emerging technologies.

Otherwise all of the advocacy you do for the DOC, such as the above article and the DiabetesMine Innovation Summit are not going to be paving the way to better diabetes care.

But, this post is probably futile and nobody will read it.

1. AmyT
      AmyT January 9, 2013 at 10:37 pm | | Reply

@type1engineer – First off, we are fully aware of the standard you mention, and the need for such standards was the focus of this year’s DiabetesMine Innovation Summit event.

Secondly, wow — you are incredibly negative. How ironic that you accuse us of being overly enthusiastic given that reader Emily, above, accuses us of just the opposite.

Third, we are in contact with many engineers and technologists, and if you personally have something of value to add — other than complaints and put-downs — we would be happy to discuss including you in the 2013 DiabetesMine Innovation Summit efforts.

Email us at info@diabetesmine.com if you wish to discuss your potential contributions.

Thank you.

2. Bernard Farrell
      Bernard Farrell January 10, 2013 at 5:54 am | | Reply

@type1engineer there’s been a number of us in the DOC working to ‘persuade’ device makers to support a standard protocol and API. I talked with the JDRF CEO about this 2 years ago, and told him that the artificial pancreas project should require participants to support a standard format.

Last year’s DiabetesMine Innovation Summit started the day with a talk about data standards, a topic that continued to popup. @AmyT, did anyone record that, any chance the audio could be shared?)

FYI I’m a long-time software engineer with lots of experience in UX/UI, most current devices make me cringe, though the Dexcom G4 and Tandem t:slim are big improvements…though still no standards support. Oh, and T1 for 40+ years.

Re using a smartphone. I think many of the issues you raise are solveable. I don’t know of any diabetes device that can handle rough use easily. I’ve participated in triathlons, try swimming 0.5 miles with a Dexcom receiver in an Aquapac bag round your neck. I think smartphone integration will succeed.

Re the IEEE 11073 protocol. One concern I have with this is general access to the docs/details at $180 it’s cheap in standards terms, but I’d like a public document we can all access and use.

Take up Amy’s offer about the Inno summit, these are incredible, invaluable events.

1. Richard Engel
        Richard Engel January 19, 2013 at 5:19 am | | Reply

I disagree with the abuse comment – I have dropped my Dexcom sevin probably over 100 times and just like a timex it took a licking and kept on ticking – same with my old minimed, diesetronic cozmo and now Animas pumps. One wrong drop of an Android or I phone and it is toast! I am sure it is solvable – if they can build pumps and cgm’sthat are durable, they should be able to build durable phones. I carry my smartphone in aa tough case and so far so good

3. Bernard Farrell
      Bernard Farrell January 10, 2013 at 6:59 am | | Reply

Also forgot to point out my Diabetes Forecast article which has a wish list starting with

Device makers: Form a consortium and agree on ways to get data out of all our devices. We can’t hope to get a clear understanding of our situation without this. A beneficial side effect? We won’t need logbooks anymore. Use standard cables, or Bluetooth, and make devices rechargeable. And please make control software work on Macs and PCs or, if on mobile phones, iOS and Android.

1. Susan Whittier
        Susan Whittier January 11, 2013 at 8:46 am | | Reply

This is fascinating to see a column re Diabetes products – over the past month or so I’ve been contacting a variety of companies to get their version of what their most up to date diabetes products can do. Needless to say – not much feedback re advancement in this arena. Perhaps there is a postprandial holiday wave affecting us all! One of the reason’s I was phoning was to find out if tablets could be used – of course not! At any rate I finally started suggesting that rather than using a phone / tablet – not all of us out here want or use a smartphone on a daily basis – expensive / no need if not working [retired]/ just old habits
        – this would be to our Type1engineer – I agree – a bluetooth link would be more than ideal – what’s the issue? My wireless mouse works well with a USB plug-in – why can’t the same be done with Glucose Monitors that record just about everything already? They already have adapters on the PCI connecting cables….chips? The only logbook I have is my Glucose monitor / PCI – and has been since ~ 2000 and not much has changed. In my searching I asked about the attachment of cardiac / BP monitors to the glucose m – of course that sounded like greek to the listeners. And this of course has to do with time ticking – other issues eventually cloud the diabetes picture – so if everything is viewd as a whole / rather than bits of the pouzzle – gee whiz we might actually get preventative care!

4. Kevin Shambrook
      Kevin Shambrook June 12, 2014 at 12:11 pm | | Reply

Dear “Engineer”,
      I am also an engineer (Ph.D) and disappointed/frustrated by the lack of data and modeling for the very complex process of controlling BG. My wife is 65, got type 1.5 (LADA) about 2 years ago and also has always had high blood pressure.
      I would appreciate your engineering insights, and a description of your netbook programs. I would also like to chat with you about ideas I have to help with control. Please email me kevin.shambrook@gmail.com or call 707.529.4123
      Kevin

9. Today I Decided – but the PCT forced my hand | My Pump Journey

[...] The Clock’s Ticking on New D-Products for 2013 [...]

10. Sarah
    Sarah January 15, 2013 at 5:22 pm | | Reply

I have been wearing the Minimed pumps for 10 years and just switched to the Omnipod about a year ago. While I love not having the tubing to deal with since I have 4 young kids, I am severely allergic to the materials used in this device. I have spoken with the company several times about this and tried everything they and my doctors have suggested, but the bottom line is that my body can’t tolerate it. So… my question is, are there any other pumps out there like the Omnipod that stick to your skin and don’t have tubing? I’ve searched the Internet but have only come up with the Solo which apparently isn’t available. Please help! Thanks!

11. Melissa
    Melissa January 31, 2013 at 2:37 pm | | Reply

I’m right there with Sarah. I uses the OmniPod but the tape is highly irritating and I have tried all of the tips available but I’m about to ask the doctor to put me back on injections. I never had this trouble with the Medtronic tape but with two kids under 4 years old, the tubing is impractical. But it doesn’t sound like the Solo will be as sophisticated as the OmniPod. I’d like to try the Jewel but who knows when that will be available in the US. I don’t think it is even FDA approved at this time.

12. IdahoPaul
    IdahoPaul August 12, 2013 at 10:30 pm | | Reply

T1 for 26 years…and for 26 years all I have had are ugly, bland, boring machines to help manage my D. So, I WANT the eye candy. Currently I’m “podding” (2nd gen OmniPod) and love it. They only complaint is the PDM. I went to jewelpump.com and saw their version of the PDM (called the JewelCom) and WOW! It’s slick and looks like a smartphone. And THAT”S what I want. The OmniPod PDM, while useful and gets the job done, is boring and so very 1990′s. Not many colors in the UI, one must press a plastic button to “scroll” down/up to get to the menu option he/she wants, then press another plastic button to select said option. The list goes on, but, as I said before I want my PDM to have that deep, dark, red/green/blue case with a touch screen that acts like a smartphone. If I’m going to be stuck with this stupid disease, I want to be stuck…in style!

13. Theresa Haddon
    Theresa Haddon November 6, 2013 at 7:00 am | | Reply

The Abbott Navigator 11 is not available in the UK & the UK office has been unable to let me know when it will become available. The manager did say he would get someone to alter their webpage to let potential users know that it is not yet available. Do you have firm evidence that the Nav. 11 is being sold in Europe & if so where?

14. New Diabetes Products are Going to be Introduced This Year | Controlling Diabetes

[...] MikeH for diabetesmine.com (Visit this site for more [...]