1. Hank
    Hank January 9, 2013 at 4:26 am | | Reply

I hope your not using Windows 8 on your PC. The Studio software will not run on it. As good as Dexcom is in providing a decent CGMS, they are certainly lacking in their software system compatibility.

1. Teri Spivey
      Teri Spivey April 27, 2013 at 6:07 am | | Reply

Just a thought, I was never able to maintain adheasion on my stomach for more than a few days. I am very active and it was a horrible site for me to use. after 2 years of experimenting, I have found what works best for me. I use my lower back and the back of my upper arms (almost under arm area) in a clockwise rotation. The rotation between 4 sites allows the skin time to recuperate between inserts. Yes I exfoliate, I shower immediately before insertion & exfoliate, scrub with an alcohol pad & allow dry time, and insert. Then I use a product that I doubt most people know about… It’s manufactured for KCI, and called V.A.C. drape (vacume assisted drape). It’s an off lable use of the product, as it was made for hospital use on very deep wounds with a vacume attached (this dressing breathes, it’s clear, super thin (almost a layer of skin like), and is made to stay on the skin for extended periods of time). Anyhow, it is the same thing as the “Tegaderm Film” that Dexcom says you can use. Only this dressing comes in a 10″ X 13″ sheet (10 sheets to a case, for $83.00). This may sound like alot but, self cut into strips of aprox. 3.5″ X 2.5″ strips (with a cut out in the center for the transmitter), one case will last me 5 years!!! More importantly… I have tried every tape made (and yes, I work in a hospital and have access to products the general public doesn’t) and all of the various products out there for adheasion and NOTHING comes even close to working this well!!! I haven’t EVER had so much as a corner peel up! All of that being said I wear my sensor for 2 weeks at a time.

2. Firas Khatib
      Firas Khatib May 16, 2013 at 10:09 am | | Reply

Here is a fix for running Dexcom Studio on Windows 8:

The fact that it doesn’t run on Mac or Windows 8 drove me nuts! All my work computers are Macs and when my Windows 7 PC died I went to buy a new PC and they all come preloaded with Windows 8… so there was no way to get Dexcom Studio to run on a new computer!

After many frustrating months, this fix has saved the day for me!

2. droberts0503
    droberts0503 January 9, 2013 at 4:54 am | | Reply

I’ve had mine for a couple of months and just put it back on after a 10 day break. I’m not really satisfied with it but I’ll wear it from time to time. 2 out of my first 3 sensors failed and getting hold of support was terrible. I couldn’t get through on the phone and no one replied to emails. After a few weeks I got a call by somebody who seemed completely uninterested and just went through the motions. Not even close to acceptable in my book.

I do agree with the good things listed. The range is nice, I can actually set alarms and not have them erroneously triggered 5 times a night, I don’t have massive differences in readings and its smaller. I also gave issues with it sticking. The one I’m wearing lasted about 6 hours before one side was unstuck. I use IV3000 but its not perfect since you have to cut a hole in it. The receiver scratches easily and things like not being able to scroll your results when zoomed in are user annoying. The other issue for me personally is I don’t get much out of the data.

Overall its better than the seven+ but I doubt I’ll be using it all the time, just now and again.

1. droberts0503
      droberts0503 January 25, 2013 at 6:41 pm | | Reply

Just an update about the last few weeks. I’ve had one sensor act all crazy. As in reading in the 40′s when my BG was mid 100′s, jumping from 70 to 200 and back down to 70 in 10-15 minutes and slowly rising from to 150 and then down to mid 80′s over the course of 45 minutes despite not eating anything or taking any insulin. These things happened repeatedly over the course of the first 12 hours after inserting it. I shut it down, went to bed and restarted it and it was fine for a week.

The following week the sensor fell off despite being taped down.

I still have serious doubts about the quality of the system as a whole and these incidents don’t do anything to put my mind at ease. When it’s works it works fine. It’s very accurate and not annoying. However, for me I have had too many issues with it considering the cost and the approval process it had to go through. I’m sure there will be a time when I take it off, store it away and stop re-ordering sensors because of all the issues and just wait for the next generation or competitor to come along.

3. Terry
    Terry January 9, 2013 at 6:29 am | | Reply

I too use a MacBook as my primary computer and wish that Dex made their download analysis software compatible with Macs. I also started on the G4 last November and would have trouble living without it.

When I started with the Dex 7+ in ’09 I bought a relatively inexpensive netbook PC computer. I dedicate it to my diabetes tracking. I know, that’s more complicated than a single computer for everything, but it works well for me. The Studio software runs well on my Vista-based netbook. I also run an Excel spreadsheet on this machine that tracks my basal rate changes.

Using the download capability provides me with a major benefit of the Dex. It helps me to make changes to my basal rates and overall adds motivation to produce better numbers. (I’m really focused on keeping my standard deviation at < 30, an ambitious yet attainable goal for me.) Using a CGM without downloading shortchanges the full potential of this device.

4. Mary
    Mary January 9, 2013 at 7:08 am | | Reply

I love everything you wrote. I am still using up my old 7+ stuff before I get to move on to the G4.

I think the only thing that I would say is about the sensor being 60% smaller. The sensor is the wire – and it IS (apparently) 60% smaller. However, the transmitter is larger. But I am also a fan of the rounded top and corners of the transmitter.

1. AmyT
      AmyT January 9, 2013 at 7:33 am | | Reply

@Mary – ah, right you are! There’s a design disconnect, however. What I would care about is the whole sensor unit actually being smaller on my body.

1. Mary
        Mary January 14, 2013 at 9:19 am | | Reply

I hear ya! My elbow catches on it already (I wear the Dex mostly on my hips). I would have loved a smaller receiver too. Maybe on the next one!

5. Hope
    Hope January 9, 2013 at 9:25 am | | Reply

I just got to do a trial with the Dexcom 7, and loved it. I actually was able to keep the sensor in for about 18 days, but near the end I had to trim the edges of the adhesive patch, which were starting to curl, and cover with a Tegaderm.

Unfortunately my insurance has ruled it to not be a medical necessity, though it was a *great* adjunct to my diabetes management. We’re going to try to appeal, but – we’ll see.

1. Mary
      Mary March 16, 2013 at 6:21 pm | | Reply

How could you wear sensor for 16 days? On the seventh day, my receiver will scream at me saying “change sensor now!”.

1. mary
        mary March 16, 2013 at 7:57 pm | | Reply

Mary (great name by the way!),

If you treat it like you have inserted a new sensor by simply choosing “Start sensor” then it will take the 2 hours to calibrate and it will think you started a new sensor. It has no way of knowing if you did or did not insert a new sensor.

Does that make sense?

2. Chuck
      Chuck March 29, 2013 at 4:58 pm | | Reply

Don’t give up hope. I had My Insurnace Company turn me down, then turn down the appeal, but when my Diabetic Educator and my Doctor actually set up a “peer to peer” review they caved… and the Doctor never actually had to talk to his insurance “peer”. It was a lot of hassle but I have been using the Omni Pod and Dexcom for well over a year. My numbers are much better and my insulin use has decreased by more than 30%. Keep fighting, you can win. Your health is well worth the fight.

6. Sara Clark
    Sara Clark January 9, 2013 at 9:47 am | | Reply

I am on my second week with the new G4 and I love it! I used the Dexcom 7+ and older versions for years and was increasingly not satisfied. Most of my concerns have been taken care of in this version, plus some.

The fact that the casing for the transmitter protrudes more and there is no MAC compatible software are my only complaints. I still own a PC so I can use it but the PC isn’t my everyday computer.

I love the ability to adjust the volume and vary the tones. I also love that the screen is in color. This wasn’t previously a concern but it makes it much more easy to visually assess how I did on a given day. A lot of yellow or red lets me know that I need to make some adjustments. A lot of white lets me know I am having a good day. I also appreciate that the buttons are quieter so when I am pushing them in the middle of the night, I don’t wake up my husband. I also love that I don’t loose transmission as I walk around my house and don’t have to carry it around the house with me. If it is in my bedroom, I can be almost anywhere in my house and still get readings.

1. SARA
      SARA January 25, 2013 at 12:18 pm | | Reply

Don’t give up on your insurance so quickly. I had to persist with my insurance and with help from my doctor, his insurance team and write a couple of letters to challenge their decision, I am now wearing my Dexcom G4. Do a google on the internet to see how other people have overturned insurance decisions, and persist. Some insurances WON’T cover the device, but don’t give up without a fight.

1. jennifer
        jennifer June 9, 2013 at 9:12 am | | Reply

If you mention hypo unaware, insurance companies pretty much need to cover this, I believe.

7. Monica
    Monica January 9, 2013 at 10:31 am | | Reply

I am pretty sure this will not work on a Mac. The software runs on the .NET framework, so it will definitely not work on a Mac, even if there were (or happened to be) drivers programmed for a Mac.

Programs written in Java are platform independent (work regardless of operating system), as long as there is a driver written for the specific operating system.

8. Megan
    Megan January 9, 2013 at 1:46 pm | | Reply

I am still using up my Seven Plus sensors but have the G4 ready and waiting to start up. I just wanted to mention to you that I use Smith and Nephew Opsite Flexifix around (not over) my sensors and it keeps them on for 14+ days with no issues. It is super flexible and dries out fast after showers. I cannot feel the tape at all since it moves with your body. I currently have one on my arm for the first time, cannot feel it one bit and it is incredibly accurate after 10 days. I use the 2 inch wide roll and have a pattern that I cut out for each half and then place them over top the built in tape and have a small overlap on the edges. This tape works great for sets too, I just cut out a hole to go over the disconnect area. WIthout this tape my sensors would fall or or get ripped off in a matter of days.

9. mollyjade
    mollyjade January 9, 2013 at 1:50 pm | | Reply

How in the world are you supposed to avoid applying the Skin Tac in the center of the new site? I can’t picture any way to do that reliably.

1. Ellen Cooper RN MSN CDE
      Ellen Cooper RN MSN CDE April 11, 2013 at 6:37 am | | Reply

Try “painting” the adhesive on the sticky side of the tape dressing before insertion. One of my patients taught me this, and it seems to work pretty well, plus you don’t have to try to hit a small target on your skin.

10. Elle
    Elle January 9, 2013 at 8:29 pm | | Reply

This is my first time ever posting anything on the internet but i just had to second Amy’s findings on the new dexcom and share our experience with it! My eleven year old son has been using the g4 for two months. It has been so incredibly accurate and helpful and we are so happy with it. I feel so much more relaxed knowing that he is wearing it and have absolutely come to rely on its predictive alarms. We still do finger stick tests to confirm the dex readings (especially before correcting) but the device is really accurate most of the time. Avoiding the real lows has alliowed him to prevent the highs that follow those lows and his numbers are so much better overall. I can’t wait to see how it has helped his A1C. I felt sad to read that some insurance isn’t covering the dexcom. It is absolutely a medical necessity. My wishes for the next gen device would be greater range, smaller transmitter and compatibility with pumps. Thankfully, I believe that is all in the pipeline and achievable. The most important part of the CGM puzzle seems to have been solved with this device: ACCURACY. The rest are the easy things to fix … Lastly, their software is very very good. Select the seven day review option and it will probably find a few suggestions for you on highs and lows.

1. Alexandre Cataldo Lopes
      Alexandre Cataldo Lopes January 31, 2013 at 4:54 am | | Reply

Elle, I’ve read your posting and it filled me with hope, about diabetes management for my 7-years-old daughter (DM 1 since 2008, when she was less than 3-years-old). Me and my wife are considering some kind of CGM, but we were waiting for her to arrive at 7.

I’m pretty much interested in trying this Dexcom G4.

We live in Brazil. Do you know if Dexcom G4 (and the sensors) can be bought online? If not, where it can be found in the U.S. (i mean, in which kind of stores)? Asked it because i’m going to Florida on next June.

Obviously, I share your concern and interest in maintaining glucose our children in regular levels most of the time… So i’m eager for informations about G4 and specially how to acquire it.

Thanks in advance.

My e-mail is alexandre_cataldo@hotmail.com

11. TC
    TC January 9, 2013 at 10:14 pm | | Reply

My 10 year-old has been using this for about a month now and I love it. We haven’t had any sensor problems and the readings are usually within 10 points of the fingerstick (which is within its margin of error). I love the studio software which has lead to vastly improved basal settings. We have been able to reduce from 11 fingersticks a day to 7 or 8. We used the MM CGM, but hated it. This is love and would work an extra job if I needed to just to pay for it.

12. David Downs
    David Downs January 10, 2013 at 8:14 am | | Reply

Amy,

I got the same color and carry it without the case. I’m enjoying the same accuracy and range benefits. Bravo Dexcom!

I am also super-excited about the Tandem announcement where they will integrate G4 data into their next pump. Also, they’re movin forward with research into a dual chamber pump (insulin + glucagon). The future looks brighter every day!

13. Kelley Barber
    Kelley Barber February 7, 2013 at 6:05 am | | Reply

I am considering a CGM, I have never used one. Does the Dexcom G4 work with the animas ping? What does it mean when they say “integrated” with the pump?
    Thank you!
    Kelley

1. droberts0503
      droberts0503 February 7, 2013 at 7:19 am | | Reply

The G4 is a standalone product. It can be worn with the ping but they are completely separate devices. The Animas Vibe will integrate with the Dexcom sensor meaning that instead of having a Dexcom receiver to view the results, start sensors and all that kind of stuff the sensor will send results directly to the pump for you to view and you will do your configuration on the pump. The pump won’t do anything with the readings, it just means one less thing to carry. The major downside I see with the Vibe is it loses the wireless capabilities that the Ping has.

14. Beth Connell
    Beth Connell February 9, 2013 at 8:55 pm | | Reply

I have had my Dexcom for about a month … everyone of my sensor has failed some within hour some within days >>>I cant say im happy

15. Max
    Max March 6, 2013 at 11:03 am | | Reply

Excellent improvements over the 7. No 1 – the G4 is accurate. Also the new receiver has a much better screen, is smaller and very light. I love the 20 ft range.
    Accuracy is the key – with that it will change the industry.

16. MaryH
    MaryH March 7, 2013 at 8:15 am | | Reply

I recently was referred to a story on NBC’s “RockCenter” related to the use of technology in medicine. It followed a cardiologist from San Diego and as part of the story he demonstrated Dexcom’s software for a CGM sensor associated with a smartphone (iphone, i think). So how awesome would that be…to have your phone collect the data from the transmitter, and not have to carry an extra device? Anyone else see this or heard anything more about it?

17. Sara Clark
    Sara Clark March 7, 2013 at 8:57 am | | Reply

Yes, I did see it! I was thinking when is it coming. I want one right now! My husband says I’m like a cyborg with all of my gadgets. At any give time I am carrying my pump, my CGM, my phone, my iPod and my nook so I could definitely use some consolidating.

18. Mary
    Mary March 7, 2013 at 12:26 pm | | Reply

Check out the video here – for the mention of the beta test of the G5 – (around 4:15)

19. Rene Shook
    Rene Shook March 16, 2013 at 4:21 pm | | Reply

I’ve had my Dexcom G4 about 2 months. 5 out of 7 sensors fell off within 1 hr. to 5 days even after adding extra tape over the curling adhesive. In the years I used the old Dexcom 7 I rarely had an adhesive issue. The area rep. said he is unaware of an adhesive issue and I must have gotten an isolated bad batch. Guess he hasn’t been reading this site.

20. IlDavo
    IlDavo March 17, 2013 at 2:11 pm | | Reply

My 11-year-old daughter’s had her G4, now, for 3 weeks. First week/first sensor: no troubles, amazing accuracy. Second week/second sensor: Horrible accuracy for first 48 hours and sensor detachment and failure 3 days later after she took a shower. Third week/third sensor: Great accuracy until sensor failure 3 days later after taking a shower (no evident adhesive detachment, this time — just some curled edges).
    The degree of comfort and safet the Dexcom G4 has provided in this short time makes it absolutely indespensible in a way we’d never have imagined. This makes the failures incredibly frustrating. We’re still awaiting shipment of our next batch of sensors, so now we’re utterly blind (apart from finger sticks) utnil the new sensors arrive. I’m livid!
    i’ve ordered Flexifix in hopes that it will help. I guess I’ll also try Skintac!

21. droberts0503
    droberts0503 March 17, 2013 at 8:05 pm | | Reply

A quick update on mine because the system as a whole (sensors, receiver and company) have issues.

I do not use it all the time, I have had several weeks off in the 5 months or so I’ve owned it. When it’s not in use it’s stored away. When in use it’s either sitting on a desk or in my pocket with nothing else touching it, not really what you would call heavy handling. One of the rails that holds the USB port cover on broke today and the slide fell off. Pretty crappy construction considering the other devices I use , like my pump and cell phone, have taken considerably more of battering and show no signs of wear. We’ll see what Dexcom have to say about it tomorrow when I get round to calling them although based on prior experience I’m not holding my breath for a pleasant outcome.

It doesn’t really help the “poor quality” vibe I’ve had with the product and company ever since I opened the box and saw their terribly cheap packaging through to the sensor failures, the painfulness of getting through to customer service and the lackadaisical attitude when I do manage to get through to somebody.

Like others have said, when it works it’s fine to great but the problems I’ve had are unacceptable for a device like this, especially since it’s been touted so highly by the manufacturer.

22. jodyward
    jodyward March 19, 2013 at 8:31 pm | | Reply

CGMs are a lifesaver for me, literally. I had no idea of my nighttime lows, the CGM not only revealed them, but let me fine tune without getting lost on wild rides when my response would change suddenly. my insulin reqs can double and halve one week to the next. I might wear out my alarms, but I never get too far out now.
    My 7 worked pretty good, just got the G4. I kind of miss the 7, the thing looked sort of retro-future. I’s swear the screen was the same as on a 60′s startrek med scanner!
    hmm, mebe I’m just not hip enough for mp3 players.
    G5 is supposed to couple with a phone app, with perhaps even more range on bluetooth.

23. David Hughes
    David Hughes March 29, 2013 at 11:20 am | | Reply

The comments posted above confirm my experience with the G4 sensors, transmitters and receivers. There are too many sensor failures and the company will only replace a failed sensor with a new sensor. Dex should be sending two sensors for every singel failed sensor. They also need to fix the receiver issues with its hour glasses and question marks. I’d like to know who regulates this company and how they get along with such marginal performance od their products.

24. MARK BAIRD
    MARK BAIRD April 2, 2013 at 7:03 pm | | Reply

I found a great way to keep the G4 sensor adhered to my skin. I am a Paramedic and thought of trying tegaderm, which is a dressing we use on IVs. The tegarderm works great and does not cause any issues with the transmitter that I have found. If you are going to try the tegaderm, make sure you get the 4″ by 4″ dressings.

25. wayne
    wayne April 3, 2013 at 7:23 am | | Reply

i’ve just started with the G4, after using my last Navigator sensors. The G4 seems nice enough, although i already notice its poorer accuracy than the Nav. But the company’s service is spotty at best. No one at Dexcom has ever had the courtesy to respond to any email! And the long phone waits with their nonstop demeaning commercials is a bit sickening.
    But the fact that their software is still not platform independent is unacceptable in today’s computing environment. Their tech support people also give different (and often incorrect) info on how to perhaps use Studio with a Mac Virtual Windows. Be nice if there were some guidelines on how to do this, or what has worked for others.

26. wayne
    wayne April 4, 2013 at 7:49 am | | Reply

BTW, has anyone tried using an ipod (or iphone) USB charger with the G4? Dexcom says it’s not recommended, but it seems like it should work fine as a backup charger.

27. wayne
    wayne April 11, 2013 at 6:54 am | | Reply

Well in answer to my own question ;-) we did some checking on the specs of the chargers, and the iphone charger is almost identical to that supplied by Dexcom. so if you have a micro USB cable, you can use the iphone/pod chargers.

28. Andrew
    Andrew April 11, 2013 at 1:44 pm | | Reply

I am considering getting the G4. I’ve been using the SEVEN Plus for months. One issue is that of cost, not of the device but of the sensors. In my case, with Medicare, no coverage is provided. So, I have found it possible to extend the duration of the sensors from one week to 3. In fact, they are better after the first period – results are less jumpy in my case.
    With the G4 I understand it will not be possible to extend usage past the first week. Is that true? it represents a big cost increase if that’s the case.

29. Charles R. McCormick, MD
    Charles R. McCormick, MD April 20, 2013 at 8:33 pm | | Reply

I had a Dexcom 7 several years ago, and bailed out after about six weeks due to sleep deprivation and frustration over erratic reads. After several months of consideration and concern about the risks of nocturnal hypoglycemia while on meds prescribed for chronic pain from a frozen shoulder, I decided to give it another try with the new model that I was assured was more accurate and more user friendly.

I have been using the G4 for several weeks. The first two probes seemed to work reasonably well and seemed to react to trending in a reasonaly timely fashion, but the third probe has been quite erratic and trending has been unreliable. I strive for very tight control, and often take small doses of extra insulin to correct modest aberrations in blood glucose. Unfortunately, this third probe has been inaccurate to the extent that its trending potential is lost.

Andrew who posted a comment above has used his probes for well over the recommended seven days, and as a fundmentally curious guy, I have tried continuing past that one week magical cutoff as well. Because the probes are not so accurate as to be useful for clinical decision-making such as taking insulin or eating, they can and must be compared to finger-stick sugars on an ongoing basis. This allows one to get a sense of whether the trending capacity is beginning to degrade and whether the accuracy of the readings themselves remain acceptable.

So far, the alarm for hypoglycemia has definitely been helpful, and the high alarm has allowed for moderate corrections on several occasions while asleep. After taking extra insulin for a high at night, I turn off the high alarm so that I will not be disturbed further. I also turn off the rate of rise and fall alarms, leaving only my chosen low limit alarm for the rest of the night.

I think there are some workable strategies for this gadget, but your goals need to be somewhat limited because of the limits of the technology and the fact that there is a significant difference between blood and subQ tissue levels of glucose.

And I have also had some difficulty getting hold of people when I have left numbers to be called back.

30. Eugene palmer
    Eugene palmer April 24, 2013 at 3:58 am | | Reply

My main concern is the lapse time when sugar is rapidly increasing or decreasing,readings are not accurate. I think if the tubing could be perforated with tiny holes,this could solve this problem.

31. Jim
    Jim May 1, 2013 at 11:52 am | | Reply

I got a G4 last week because I am going on a Tandem pump soon and thought it was a good idea. After reading the article & comments and watching a few YouTube videos I’ve decided not to even try it, good thing my insurance covered it 100%.
    I also found out after the fact that all products are shipped from Dexcom & not from my local in network insurance distributor. No distributors are allowed to stock any of Dexcom’s products so if you live on the other side of thew country you have longer shipping time & increased chance for a lost or damaged package.They use FedEx, remember the driver caught heaving the LCD TV over a fence around Christmas.
    I hope someone else comes up with a better CGM, I figure eventually they will replace finger sticks so there should be motivation for all the strip manufacturers to compete with Dexcom.

1. droberts0503
      droberts0503 May 1, 2013 at 12:05 pm | | Reply

Distributors are allowed to stock Dexcom products. I’ve never gone through Dexcom for product, it all comes from CCS Medical who is the distributor for my insurance company. I order through them, they stock it and they ship it. No Dexcom involvement, which is good.

1. Jim
        Jim May 2, 2013 at 1:37 pm | | Reply

I was told by both Dexcom & my local network distributor that everything is shipped to the user directly from Dexcom.. I was also told that distributors just process orders, again by both parties.
        I live in Ohio, & don’t want my supplies shipped from CA especially when my distributor is local & shipping is 1 day.

1. wayne
          wayne May 2, 2013 at 1:46 pm |

not sure why you worry about shipping from CA. Shipping from anywhere is the same. I’m in MD and i get the G4 from Dexcom. And the sensors as well. Not a problem. they don’t send a rep out any more—just watch the video and do it yourself.

2. droberts0503
          droberts0503 May 2, 2013 at 2:30 pm |

I don’t know what to tell you then. I’ve never once had anything shipped from Dexcom. My stuff comes in the same package as my quarterly order of pump supplies, test strips and wipes and is shipped from CCS Medical in FL. It takes about 2 days to get to OH.

32. wayne
    wayne May 1, 2013 at 11:57 am | | Reply

I got a dex4 a few weeks ago too. I used my last Navigator sensor, and ran it simultaneously with the dex4. The dex4 actually responded 5 to 10 minutes faster, but was not quite as accurate as the nav. We’ll see if FDA ever approves the Nav2. Meantime i’m waiting for the animas vibe pump, which will read BGs directly from the dex4. Won’t need to carry the receiver around any more, sot that’s a big plus over the Tandem (which i’ve also looked at).

33. Andrew
    Andrew May 1, 2013 at 2:31 pm | | Reply

In reply to Charles McCormack, I have found that the variance between measurements of the Dex 7 and finger sticks (done 5 or more times per day) does NOT get worse after the first 7 days. In fact, the variance is greatest in the first few days of a new sensor and it decreases in the second or third weeks. I go no further than three weeks simply because the attachment of the tape around the sensor to the skin gets slightly loose. The main point is that in my case, a new sensor behaves very erratically in the first few days but its behavior gets better with time.
    I just wanted to know if the G4 permitted you to extend use into the second (or third) week after insertion.

34. wayne
    wayne May 1, 2013 at 7:08 pm | | Reply

It is simple to restart the dex4 for a 2nd or 3rd week. just hit stop, then hit start, and a new 7 day cycle will begin.

1. Andrew
      Andrew May 1, 2013 at 8:24 pm | | Reply

That’s the case with the Dex7 as I described above. But, is it true with the G4? Dexcom assured me ‘no’.

35. wayne
    wayne May 2, 2013 at 5:07 am | | Reply

Didn’t i just say I had a Dex G4 and that i can do that? in about 5 sec? you either misunderstood what dexcom told you or they lied. they can’t tell customers it’s ok, since it is not approved that way, but it works. i do it all the time as do other users.

36. Andrew
    Andrew May 2, 2013 at 7:33 am | | Reply

You said you could do it with the ‘dex4′. If that device is the same as the G4 it is good news but it also means that what they told me when I visited Dexcom two months ago is incorrect. I told them explicitly how I had been extending the number of weeks with the Dex 7 for over a year and was told that it would not be possible with the newer device. By the way, the 5 seconds is just the same in the older device.

1. droberts0503
      droberts0503 May 2, 2013 at 8:30 am | | Reply

They have to tell you what the FDA approved it for. Its approved for 7 days therefore all they can tell you is that a sensor will last 7 days, even if its not technically true. I’ve never worn the G4 for 7 days and then restarted it but I have stopped it mid run, mostly because of erratic readings, and then restarted it the next day. Basically if you select the start sensor option, that’s what it will do. There is no way it can tie the ID of a specific sensor to when it was inserted or how long its run.

37. wayne
    wayne May 2, 2013 at 7:54 am | | Reply

Sorry for my shorthand. yes i have the the dex G4. and it works the same as the 7. I ran my last sensor 21 days (3 cycles).
    Maybe they were thinking about what they would do with the G5 they are working on. But that’s 2 years away or more.

38. TamT.
    TamT. May 6, 2013 at 4:35 pm | | Reply

Has anyone traveled in Europe with the Dexcom system? I’m wondering if anyone has had success or problems with charging the system? There are lots of converters out there, Any idea about which work with the system?

1. droberts0503
      droberts0503 May 6, 2013 at 4:54 pm | | Reply

The charger has a 100-240v input so all you need is the cheapest outlet adaptor you can find. As long as you can plug it it, it will detect the input and adjust. Virtually all chargers are like this. Check Amazon for the cheapest one.

39. wayne
    wayne May 7, 2013 at 10:06 am | | Reply

And you can pretty much use any USB charger, like that for an iphone or ipad. They both put out the same 5 volts that the dexcom charger does. and they also work on 240 volts.

40. Joe
    Joe May 14, 2013 at 11:48 am | | Reply

I really like my Dexcom G4, however how do you download data from the receiver to Dexcom Studio?

41. wayne
    wayne May 14, 2013 at 12:52 pm | | Reply

you just get USB to micro USB cable and connect between the G4 and the computer. Note, it’s not a mini-usb, but micro usb.

42. Joe
    Joe May 14, 2013 at 10:27 pm | | Reply

Thank you for the reply Wayne. I have the USB cable that came with the Dexcom G4 kit that is used to charge the receiver battery either through the USB port or A/C adapter. I tried that cable and it works for charging the battery. However when I go to the Dexcom G4 Studio there is no button to push so that you can download data from the receiver to the Dexcom G4 Studio like there was with the Dexcom 7. Not sure what I’m missing. I downloaded the G4 Studio from the Dexcom website.

1. droberts0503
      droberts0503 May 15, 2013 at 5:40 am | | Reply

There is no button. Load up the software and then plug your receiver into a USB port. After a few seconds you should see the receiver be recognized by looking in the bottom right of the software window. I forget if it prompts you or if it just does it. In general I’ve found the software a bit useless and hard to really look at specific times, trends or other useful stuff. There is generally a lot of info crammed into small windows or graphs and it makes it virtually impossible to make sense of them. It needs a lot of work

43. Peter
    Peter May 15, 2013 at 4:49 am | | Reply

I just installed the device. Still waiting for the calibration to happen.
    The software knowledge of dexcon… hmmm. I think they outsource this.

The persons writing the (French) manual are not smart too:
    The manual claims I need to first install the software in order to be able to charge the device… hello? No software is needed for charging!!!

A solution for the missing mac software would be to simple put the data available as a read-only csv file or even better, an sqlite database.

Ideally that would be data would be accessible through both bluetooth and USB.

Please give us the freedom to develop our own software solutions! (on iPhone, Mac, Android etc…). The innovative solutions that users themselves develop would give a boost to the attractiveness of the product.

I’ve developed software myself… and would love to connect the sensor directly to my mac and have a reading on my computer’s menu bar next to the clock.

Ideally Dexcon would publish openly the application programming interface (API), many would be very happy !

Dr. Peter Goedtkindt

44. Peter
    Peter May 16, 2013 at 12:48 pm | | Reply

Has anybody tried to run the software via winebottler see:( winebottler.kronenberg.org ) on a mac? I got some initial success as I could start the installer… but then I ran into an issue with not having the right dotnet version. Currently I have no time to troubleshoot it.
    If only they would make the data available as a csv file on the USB connection like a usb drive… or over bluetooth. 10 years ago I could download pictures from my “feature phones” over bluetooth…. and if the dexcon would offer that option with the datafile, we all could write our own custom software to read and display the data without any cable.

1. Jaime
      Jaime May 17, 2013 at 1:22 pm | | Reply

Peter – Have you had any success with the Mac? What program are you using? How do I do this? I’m still waiting for the arrival of my daughter’s Dexcom, but I ONLY have Mac’s at home.

1. Peter
        Peter May 17, 2013 at 4:41 pm | | Reply

Hi Jaime,
        wine is a tool that originates from the linux community and allows to run certain windows software directly inside the mac environment without the need to run a full windows and paying for the windows license.
        The approach is radically different then “Virtual Machine” based solutions. VMware, Parallels or VirtualBox are virtual machines and they allows you to install Windows on your mac.
        The benefits of a virtual machine approach is that a lot of software runs on it – albeit a more slowly. Disadvantage is the huge disk and memory space required by a virtual windows machine.
        Wine is a lot less hungry in disk and memory, runs usually faster, BUT does not run all software “out-of-the-box”. If you’re not ready to do the trial and error approach, wine if probably not your immediate solution.
        This trial and error is also what I ran into: initially I was getting good progress, but then I got errors during the installation.
        I will investigate further when I have time: currently it is exam period and I’m too busy grading student works, exams and dissertations (I’m a professor).
        Crossover is an alternative to winebottler. They sell the product with support: http://www.codeweavers.com/products/

I think the most important is that we put pressure on dexcon and your country’s regulatory agencies (FDA) so that they save the data in a textfile on the device that would be readable as if it were a USB stick. That would allow to read it in any software for visualisation and processing.

Peter, from Switzerland

45. Firas Khatib
    Firas Khatib May 16, 2013 at 1:28 pm | | Reply

Here is a fix for running Dexcom Studio on Windows 8:

(I noticed that my original reply didn’t end up at the bottom of these comments, and I don’t want any Windows 8 users to miss this solution!)

46. wayne
    wayne May 17, 2013 at 7:40 pm | | Reply

Jaime, i tried a lot of thing on the Mac, but eventually gave up. Could never get the dexcom drivers to load. There are lots of people giving away old dogs of PCs, and i just picked one up, stuck it in the basement and use it only for the dex software. The PC doesn’t need any power or speed to run the software, so you might like me be able to take one off someone’s hands for free.

47. Roberta
    Roberta June 19, 2013 at 7:55 pm | | Reply

hi,
    I’m going to start using dexcom g4, have diabetes type 1 for 16 years and never used anything like that before…
    I would like to know if you can use it at another places, or just around the belly….
    can it be used at our arms or legs, or elsewhere?

what are the tips to make the sensor last more time ??

48. wayne
    wayne June 20, 2013 at 4:54 am | | Reply

Well, my suggestion is just to try whatever places you think might work. If they start giving crazy numbers, then you know it’s not a good spot. I know a lady who uses her inner thigh about halfway up from the knee. Works great for her, but i don’t have enough thickness there, so it didn’t work for me. Everyone is different, so just experiment on yourself. I use the abdomen, but that extends to around the side, too. My sensors last 2 -3 weeks, before they start being less accurate. good luck.

49. Pops
    Pops June 28, 2013 at 5:03 pm | | Reply

Would love to get hold of one of these for my daughter but we live in England and it’s not covered on the NHS. The rep has quoted us nearly £1000 for G4 starter kit plus £250 for 2 sensors. All plus VAT at 20%. Is it possible to buy any cheaper anywhere else in the world?

1. Roberta
      Roberta July 3, 2013 at 6:34 pm | | Reply

hi,
      here in brazil we don’t have it and even if so, the goverment wouldn’t pay for it.. it’s seen as a luxury…
      I Bought the dexcom 4G with the help of a friend and payed 1100 USD$, plus 395 USD$ for the box with 4 sensors..
      I have made a research of its price at Barcelona and Paris, using the contact of the .fr dexcom’s web site..
      They said it would cost 1300 EUROS (including one box with 4 sensors, the reciever and the transmitter)
      Each aditional box with 4 sensor would cost 340 EUROS.
      Here is the email of the person who answered my questions.. hope it can help!

e-mail: rmanzanares@novalab.es

50. Linca
    Linca July 7, 2013 at 4:38 pm | | Reply

I am going to try the VAC drape that someone just mentioned. What I don’t get is why doesn’t Dexcom come up with an adhesive product that sticks? I never have issues with my Minimed/Medtronic site for my insulin pump, that sticks like a charm, yes for about 3 or so days, but still…..And I swim a lot (live in AZ so you can imagine) and very active, so I’m going to shop for the VAC and hope this helps, and will try the loofa. Love that suggestion.