1. Bernard Farrell
    Bernard Farrell January 18, 2013 at 4:42 am | | Reply

Thanks Allison, you were thinking the same was as I do WAY too often. I really only know my own diabetes well. YDMV as they say. Bennet should have named that YDWV, because it will vary across folks and within each and every one of the days.

Thanks for the great explanation on cortisol and the glyconeuroticgenius response!

2. Scott E
    Scott E January 18, 2013 at 5:34 am | | Reply

Lesson #3 just completely bummed me out. I guess it’s like an adult giving a crying child a lollipop to make him feel better, without regard for what that lollipop might really do. And all this time, I thought my body was smart. Hmmpf.

3. jenny
    jenny January 18, 2013 at 7:05 am | | Reply

how do u become a diabetic educator

1. Julia
      Julia January 20, 2013 at 7:34 am | | Reply

We have been aware of insulin resistance when she has high blood sugars for quite some time. To counteract this tendency, we give both a stronger correction and an increased temp basal until her blood sugar approaches normal. Congrats on your new chosen profession! I’m sure you’ll do well. And don’t forget you can also get your CDE if you become a nutritionist, which can be a two-year course at some community colleges. Just in case nursing is not to your liking, though personally I think that’s the best choice. Always a lot of jobs for R.Ns plus many specialties to choose from. And I’m sure your experience living with Type 1 is one of the best qualifications you can have. Personal experience is something that can’t be taught as it can be at variance with what you are trained is possible. The only CDEs that have offered advice of any value when dealing with our daughter have been the two we had that had Type 1 themselves.

4. pwd doc
    pwd doc January 18, 2013 at 8:23 am | | Reply

things they don’t teach you in anatomy and physiology:

All PWD’s are different. There is tremendous variation both in how the body reacts to similar situations and how the mind reacts to similar situations.

You will be a great nurse and CDE if you learn the variations in normal physiology (not always described in basic textbooks), learn from your own experience, and then stand back, remember that everyone is different, and try to tailor your advice to your individual patients even if it is different from what works for you (and then be willing to try something else if your first plan doesn’t work)

Good luck!

PWDDOC

5. Kristin W
    Kristin W January 18, 2013 at 8:28 am | | Reply

Cool! Thanks for sharing! I, too, have had D for many many years and think/thought I knew a whole lot. I am struggling with my weight (nothing new there), but finally gave in to a very low carb eating plan, and it seems to work for me (!!!), but I had no idea why, and was suspiciious that it was for some “bad” reason that would come back and bite me in the butt later (hopefully, biting off a bit chunk – ha ha!). But now I “get” what you are saying about the carbs causing weight gain, not necessarily the fat. I’m enjoying your journey – you GO, girl!

6. Amy Halvorson Miller
    Amy Halvorson Miller January 18, 2013 at 9:50 am | | Reply

Thank you for telling us your story of beginning the road to CDE. How exciting; think I’m a bit envious. Back when I took A&P (before diabetes was a part of my life), I thought the endocrine system was the most mind-boggling of all. Now I find myself relearning it.

I especially appreciate what A&P taught you #2. I was talking to my T1 son’s endo nurse this week. She was explaining how cortisol causes insulin resistance, which I did not remember. I was saying, “but, doesn’t the liver produce more glucose when the body is stressed?” She wasn’t sure I was right about that. Turns out we were both correct.

7. Paula
    Paula January 18, 2013 at 10:24 am | | Reply

Thank you for sharing this. I would really love to go back to school and get my nursing and CDE. That is my “when the kids are older” plan. My husband and I have long considered going into the mission field, and this is how I want to serve.

Thank goodness I already have College Algebra and Statistics under my belt from my BS Bus Admin! I never want to take that again!