1. marifrance
    marifrance January 26, 2013 at 6:25 am | | Reply

My insulin froze more or less, I used it nevertheless but not for long I ended up with ketones and high blood sugar.

2. Lauren
    Lauren January 26, 2013 at 9:18 am | | Reply

I know this is silly…but..

I work in a blood bank and hospital laboratory.

We use instruments/analyzers to test insulin levels. The instruments use maufactured antibodies to look for part of the insulin molecule in these tests. I’m curious as to whether the whole molecule is active after its frozen/thawed/analyzed. I would guess probably not… but the section our instruments look for is.

We store/thaw human plasma for patients. We don’t nuke it.. it must be thawed in a water bath kept no warmer than 37C (body temp). If we ever microwaved plasma, I’m pretty sure we would be shut down. Warmer temperatures would mess with the proteins and clotting factor. Also, I think the bag would explode. I wouldn’t wanna clean that up! haha.

3. TC
    TC January 26, 2013 at 3:35 pm | | Reply

Interesting! Water is one of the few know molecules to expand when frozen, so my guess is that unless the insulin is diluted with a water-based solution, then it is unlikely to expand. http://www.helium.com/items/453167-substances-that-expand-when-they-freeze

4. Natalie Sera
    Natalie Sera January 27, 2013 at 6:26 pm | | Reply

I wouldn’t add the cold, stiff drink if I were you. It would contaminate the results of your study because alcohol can lower BGs. Or so I’ve heard. And you NEED a well-conducted study! LOL!!

5. cjmnews
    cjmnews December 30, 2013 at 6:57 am | | Reply

I used frozen insulin (Lantus and Humalog), and found the following:
    1. Nausea
    2. Stomach Cramps
    3. Headache
    4. Increased Glucose (even hours after the last shot)

The Lantus seemed to cause the worst symptoms, but it could be that it froze quicker (I saw some ice in it) but the Humalog did not appear to be frozen (no ice seen). The Humalog worked sort of, had to take almost double what I usually use, and hours later the Glucose would rise. 350 points over night was not uncommon.

Just don’t use frozen insulin.

6. Rick Pighini
    Rick Pighini January 9, 2014 at 6:09 pm | | Reply

I am a 28 year type 1 diabetic and I left humolog and nph in my car during last weeks deep freeze for a week. When I returned from my trip I let it thaw and have been using both ever since with no problems. My sugars have been good and I run a 6.8 A1C. So my life experiment says go for it. I’m still using the humolog.

7. Rick Pighini
    Rick Pighini January 10, 2014 at 7:33 am | | Reply

Sorry I take that back. They were good for two days after the deep freeze now my insulin doesn’t seem to be working. I threw it away.

8. Ron
    Ron June 14, 2014 at 6:17 pm | | Reply

Don’t use insulin if it has been frozen.my Lantos and byetta got frozen in a faulty fridge in a hotel, I thawed it and used it , my BSL went through the roof in 2 days, throw it out.

9. Jackie
    Jackie June 27, 2014 at 2:31 pm | | Reply

I have been using some Novolog that froze for weeks now & I believe it has lost it’s potency. My BS’s have been staying high, even with the use of Humolog N. I’m throwing it out & starting in Humolog R…

10. Sam Hill
    Sam Hill September 1, 2014 at 7:38 am | | Reply

I kept my Nova NPH insulin in the dairy case on my refrigerator door and when I removed a vial last night I noticed it had ice crystals in the center of the liquid. Suspended like pulp and seeds in orange juice. It being Labor Day Nova Nordisk’s number was unattended ,so I called walgreens and Walmart pharmacies, both said they thought it would be usable. But test a lot to make sure it was lowering my bgl. My last A1c was through the roof. So maybe I hadn’t checked the vials as well as I should have. I have use at least 3 inections worth until Tuesday. I’ll drop by here that afternoon and let you know what my Doctor said. And what reactionI got for my sugar.

11. Ray
    Ray September 6, 2014 at 7:45 am | | Reply

I have two vials of NovoLog in which ice crystals had formed. They thawed fine and look normal. I talked to Novo Nordisk and they said they had no studies to indicate potency of previously frozen insulin, and recommended throwing them out. Ugh, $800! I haven’t decided. I use a pump, so it would be easy to tell, but I don’t want to experiment while traveling…

12. Macbook
    Macbook September 8, 2014 at 6:23 am | | Reply

Many companies in specialized fields often worry about corporate
    espionage. If you go on a contract you will be expected to set up a direct debit
    and this might reduce the choices that you have.
    They are so thin that a man can comfortably keep it in his pocket and women can keep it in her small
    purse. With the competition releasing phones equipped with dual-cores, there a number of experts who believe that Apple will do the same.
    The number one reason your sweetie deserves an upgrade to the i
    - Phone 4 is because it will make your sweetie happy.