1. k2
    k2 January 15, 2013 at 5:12 pm | | Reply

WOW, these families are amazing! A houseful of PWDs is always interesting and always presents challenges and these parents allow me to peak into a window to better understand my own parents.
    These D mamas show me what my parents dealt with on a daily basis in the Diabetes Dark Ages. Pre insulin pump, pre meters, pre carb counting, pre Diabetes On-Line Community. I come from a family where 3 out of 6 children (including myself,) were dx’d with t1, as was my father, my nephew, 2 aunts and a cousin.
    THANKS LADIES!

2. Tim Steinert
    Tim Steinert January 16, 2013 at 2:45 am | | Reply

My brother was diagnosed 42 years ago with Type 1 and I got an unexpected gift at the beginning of middle age: It’s Type 1! It hasn’t helped me any having a brother who has it as well except that I knew it was dead serious. I’m also in awe of people who dealt with diabetes with no meters, injecting animal insulin and testing urine (and then trying to decipher the color on the strip.

It’s also strange for someone who’s had Type 1 for three years to know what an older diabetic means when they say they’re having a reaction. (It’s old dia-speak for a low).

3. Kelly Rawlings
    Kelly Rawlings January 18, 2013 at 6:31 am | | Reply

Thank you for sharing your family stories, Kirsten and Meri. I hope you realize just how inspiring you are. For families considering participation in TrialNet, here are some details I learned when my family got involved: http://www.forecast.diabetes.org/welcome-dec2012. As Wil Dubois notes in his article about the ADA’s Standards of Medical Care in Diabetes, http://www.diabetesmine.com/2013/01/fresh-new-ada-standards-for-you-yes-type-1s.html, practitioners are encouraged to refer relatives of people with type 1 to clinical trials that do antibody testing and type 1 screening, because knowing there’s a heightened risk of developing type 1 can help people who progress to diabetes get treatment before life-threatening ketoacidosis occurs.

4. Tim Brand
    Tim Brand January 18, 2013 at 10:13 am | | Reply

Wow. I know Meri and consider her one of my heroes , now ill add Kristen to the list. I can now say only 2 of my 3 girls have diabetes. 6 out of 8, much deep respect I have for you and your family, Excellent article Mike, thanks for sharing this story my friend.

5. Scott Hatchett
    Scott Hatchett February 2, 2013 at 6:49 pm | | Reply

We just returned home from the hospital where now three of our five children have been diagnosed in the past three years with type 1 diabetes. It helps to know others have been here. Thanks for the encouragement.

6. type 2 diabetes
    type 2 diabetes February 2, 2013 at 10:13 pm | | Reply

Having a family member with diabetes specially kids is quite difficult coz they need a lot of attention and focus. But there are so many natural ways to combat it and they should live a normal lifestyle. My kid has diabetes but i make it a point not to let him feel he’s sick with so many limitations specially on food. Discipline is what they should learn best.

7. Tara Simpson
    Tara Simpson February 26, 2013 at 4:45 am | | Reply

We have four sons aged 17-8, the older three of whom have diabetes, diagnosed aged 16 months, 4 and 11 months. There is no history of Type 1 in either our parents, grandparents, and neither myself or husband have diabetes, we are 47 & 43. They all transferred to insulin pumps last year from four injections daily, and all agree they find it easier. All four boys get on very well together and support each other, and are very happy and positive, and generally healthy children. One also has Marfan Syndrome and chronic urticaria, and our youngest is dairy intolerant. Obviously life is very hectic, as it would be with four kids, but the boys just tend to get on with school life, music clubs, cricket, fencing, swimming etc with a lot of background support from us and we educate them how to deal with diabetes issues as part as daily life as they grow. Thinking of you as the early days of building routines etc are tricky and wishing you all the best.