1. Jodi Palamides
    Jodi Palamides December 18, 2012 at 5:45 am | | Reply

We use the Quick-Fix Keychain, which holds four standard glucose tablets (www.quickfixkeychain.com) since we always have our keys with us! :)

1. Melissa
      Melissa December 18, 2012 at 10:12 am | | Reply

My daughter has one of those keychains also, attached to her meter case. She’s tried the quicksticks; they are a mouthful of sugar! I guess that’s the point, but it was a little much all at once. Walgreens had a rebate on them last month so they were free for us to try, not sure we’d buy them again. Her favorite low treatment is smarties; they are 6 g of carbs for a roll.

2. Jodi Palamides
    Jodi Palamides December 18, 2012 at 9:28 am | | Reply

:) It’s definitely different for a guy. I always have a tube of glucose tablets in my purse as well and then try to remember to refill the keychain asap…

3. Tim
    Tim December 18, 2012 at 10:11 am | | Reply

Since I am using the insulin pen, I have had to get over myself. It only makes sense to carry a bag if you’re not pumping. In the bag, which looks suspiciously like a purse (it’s a MAN bag), there is plenty of room for my portable glucose- butterscotch disks. The interesting thing is, they’re getting harder to find! About half of drug stores carry them and VERY few grocery stores do. My number one consideration is price. I can’t afford to buy candy with holes in it- if you know what I mean!

4. Adam
    Adam December 19, 2012 at 8:26 am | | Reply

I carry either Sweet-Tarts or Smarties, and a 12 fluid ounce sealed bottle of Gatorade. Because I’m a runner, I put the Sweet-Tarts candies into the cyan-colored sugar-free mints plastic dispenser, the one with a hinged top, after eating the mints.

This is because I am a runner. I can grab the container with one hand, flip the top up with my thumb, and eat candies. One-hand operation makes life easier.

I also carry a ziploc bag containing moistened diaper wipes. Sometimes
    if I carry the Sweet-tarts long enough for them to disintegrate into powder, I will get some on my fingers. Then I will need to wipe my fingers before testing my blood sugar. For the most part, though, I can avoid having to do this simply by using my right hand to grab my Smarties dispenser and by using my left hand to sample blood.

That’s one reason I use the one-handed sugar dispenser. Of course, I also always also have backup Sweet-Tarts. I carry them in empty plastic cylinders that formerly blood glucose test strips. That’s what pockets are for.

5. Scott E
    Scott E December 19, 2012 at 11:59 am | | Reply

To be honest, I have the tube of 10 regular glucose tabs. They fit in my pockets quite nicely and are refillable from the larger jars. From Walmart they’re also quite cheap.

I got a sample of Level Life a few months ago, and at the suggestion of another DOC’er, I keep it in the glove compartment of my car. It’s liquid, so it should (in theory) works faster than traditional tabs, and when I’m behind the wheel (in a parking lot…waiting…) all I want to do is get on my way. I haven’t yet tried it, though.

I remember using Monojel in the mid-80s: it was a nuclear-looking sweet green gel in a silver foil pouch which my mother always made me keep in my sock, but inevitably it got folded and creased and would leak, causing a huge sticky mess. That age-old memory has made me very reluctant to carry something like Level Life around in a pocket.

6. CJB
    CJB December 20, 2012 at 3:18 pm | | Reply

Our 2.5 year old loves Smarties. 10g per package, so it’s a nice even number.

7. Judith
    Judith December 20, 2012 at 4:57 pm | | Reply

This really answered my drawback, thanks