1. Rachel
    Rachel December 13, 2012 at 4:23 am | | Reply

Excellent! I do hope this will be a trend. As for Lifescan suing them– that’s a shame, and I respect them less for it. COMPETE, dagnabit!

Testing is the ONLY way to know what’s going on and how things affect you as a PWD. I don’t see how people can say they’re treating this condition without doing it.

Over $1 a strip is too much for a lot of people and many insurance companies do not adequately cover strips. Mine doesn’t at all.

MikeH, great article– I hope you keep talking about this issue!

2. Scott E
    Scott E December 13, 2012 at 5:14 am | | Reply

I believe that whole argument about not being generic, and therefore not identical, would be the basis for the lawsuit defense. It produces an electrical characteristic at the metal contacts based on glucose concentration, but it may do that in a dramatically different way. If the strips and meter are considered separate devices, then there’s no IP infringement here. If, however, it’s considered a “system” then it might.

I wonder if the old black OneTouch Ultra strips were reaching end-of-patent, motivating them to renew the patent by making a subtle change, including (but not limited to) making the strips Blue.

3. Bernard Farrell
    Bernard Farrell December 13, 2012 at 7:54 am | | Reply

While I understand the need for big pharma to recoup development costs, surely OneTouch has done this by now. I’d love to know the profit margin on test strips for ANY company.

It seems to me that test strip and insulin companies are doing all they can to defeat generic manufacturers. Humalog was approved about 17 years ago, and there’s no sign of a generic for it.

I think it’s time some big pharma companies allowed their profits to go down so we (patients with diabetes) can actually afford to purchase their products in the absence of good health care coverage.

4. Ansley Dalbo
    Ansley Dalbo December 13, 2012 at 8:00 am | | Reply

Rachel, I completely agree– testing is one of the most important aspects of diabetes care and it is financially out of reach for a growing number of people.

Recognizing this, Walmart now sells 50 ReliOn Prime test strips for $9.

5. Scott S
    Scott S December 13, 2012 at 11:21 am | | Reply

When I saw news of this, I was intrigued, but the legal issue from J&J was predictable. There is, however, precedent, as Inverness Technologies, a company based in Scotland once sold generic versions of Lifescan OneTouch test strips. That company did it so well in fact (thanks to UK government investments in the firm) that the company was acquired outright by Johnson & Johnson which explains why so many of our test strips from this U.S.-based company are imported from Europe.

Still, I think the prospects

6. Vicki Baker
    Vicki Baker December 13, 2012 at 5:51 pm | | Reply

Think qbout the meters that now have new test strips. Is it about the upcoming tax on medical device companies that will effect all of us?

7. John
    John December 17, 2012 at 4:10 pm | | Reply

One of the more well known generic strips that was avalible “Excel GT” for Bayer was bought out by LifeScan and is now the actual developer of the One Touch Ultra and future meters for them… Company name is SelfCare/ Iverness Medical. They sold off their diabetes division to Lifescan and now concentrate on their business of manufacturing home pregnancy tests under the ClearBlue moniker as well as making them for other vendors.

8. dr sue pedersen
    dr sue pedersen January 16, 2013 at 4:28 am | | Reply

Here are my thoughts re cool new glucose meter features!

9. Deborah
    Deborah March 17, 2013 at 9:52 am | | Reply

Wal-Mart brand Reli on has strips for $9 for 50 strips. Machine is under $20.

10. Concerned
    Concerned March 18, 2013 at 8:52 am | | Reply

I currently have medical insurance but still, even the copays for non-generic strips get higher and higher. I don’t know of any generic test strip so I use a name brand that has a reduced copay program. But even with insurance, my out-of-pocket costs for medical and dental expenses is several thousand dollars a year. My question is, will marketing this strip as a generic make it eligible for the insurance companies generic med list which would mean a lower copay? Currently generic copays with my insurance are $5/month versus non-generic which range between $20-$80/month and climbing. I mean, even if GenStrip can’t get legal approval for generic use with another brand’s meter, can they develop their own meter but have it classisfied as generic for the sake of being eligible for the lower copay amount? Hope that makes sense. thank you.

11. Rob
    Rob April 9, 2013 at 11:47 am | | Reply

Has anyone heard any recent news on this product? Or has LifeScan purchased them so they can keep a monopoly?

12. James Walton
    James Walton April 21, 2013 at 6:12 pm | | Reply

My wife and I went to a State park today. I Remember the second trail we took. I do not remember. 1.) Getting back or into the car. 2.) Taking candy to get to the car. 3.) First cocious thought was in a car at a Sonic (how CHOICE) with my wonderful wife trying to get me tested and to respond. Type 1 Since 15. 39 now. One touch most of that time. Corporations are for shareholders and that means profits. A1C is 5.9 to 6.4% Thanks only to my father’s insurance when 15. That pump is the reason for my health. It requires 4 to 6 tests daily. I use 2 to 4. I do not drive out of concern for others and limits on test strips. That strip cost less than an aspirin I bet. I would gladly help my insurance save vs. Lifescan. Imagine knowing you could just consciously turn off and waunder about and then pass out. Lives are lost on both sides. The patient and their victims if this happens behind the wheel.

13. MFC
    MFC June 10, 2013 at 10:04 am | | Reply

Don’t hold your breath waiting for GenStrips.

LifeScan is fighting hard to prevent the release of GenStrips and protect its profits. LifeScan recently won a preliminary injunction against the sale or importation of the GenStrips.

14. JEAN
    JEAN February 14, 2014 at 12:38 am | | Reply

IT IS ABOUT TIME FOR GENERIC DIABETIC SUPPLIES IN GENERAL! EVEN THE CO-PAY IS BREAKING MY EXTREMELY LIMITED BANK. MEDICARE AND MEDICAID SHOULD BACK THE PRODUCTION OF GENERICS IN ALL MEDICAL SUPPLIES!

15. Denise E Braie
    Denise E Braie April 15, 2014 at 12:56 pm | | Reply

Is there a generic strip that is compatible
    With one touch ultra mini.

16. Mary
    Mary July 4, 2014 at 6:01 pm | | Reply

I just purchased a One Touch Ultra2 meter with brand strips. After dinner reading was only 116. That seems TOO low to me for even someone with normal blood sugar.

I also have Walmart’s Relion Ultima meter & strips. It was reading at a more reasonable level for shortly after food.

I have had the Walmart meter for a few years and it seems to be in the ballpark based on my physical wellness.

There are also UltraStrips (or something like that) for sale on Amazon. Those ratings vary, some good, some not so good.

Genstrips seemed to get generally good rathings on all 3 different sales pages when compared to manufacturers product & other generic.

I hope they all make it.