1. Gretchen
    Gretchen December 7, 2012 at 5:51 am | | Reply

Mike, Scary! We’re all glad you managed to wake up and treat. And I’m glad I’m not the only one who forgets to take basal insulin, although the results aren’t as serious as they are in type 1.

Re the “lost time.” Many people lose time from self-inflicted problems like drinking themselves into a stupor. Your lost time wasn’t your fault. You didn’t choose to have diabetes.

I wonder if one can train a dog to wake you when you’re low. Some do without training.

1. Anne
      Anne December 12, 2012 at 8:02 pm | | Reply

Yes, you can, Gretchen and I am doing it! I have a CGM but I am also training a scent-imprinted dog. Roman just pawed me tonight and went to fetch my meter and the bringsel (another way to signal a low). My Dexcom said 95 but the meter (and Roman) said 60. Eventually the Dex caught up.

Mike, I like to put my Dexcom sensor on my butt and my pump (Omnipod) on arm, breast, or calf. How about trying new sites?

I went back to read this post of yours since I totally understand and feel frustrurated (and not know what to do about) these high and low twilight zones we can get in.

2. June S.
    June S. December 7, 2012 at 6:02 am | | Reply

The last time I had a low, I thought about what you mention above – that I had just lost precious hours of my life! I have had that thought before – in fact, I’ve had that same thought every time I’ve had a low bad enough that it took me awhile to recognize it, and do something about it, and then wait to be sure what I had done was adequate. When I’m not having lows, I tend to forget about this aspect of hypoglycemia. So, in the past 40 years since my diagnosis, I wonder just how many hours of my life have been wasted due to hypoglycemia. Fortunately, the answer is that I’ve lost fewer hours to this side effect of insulin than I would have lost had insulin not yet been discovered. In fact, I would have lost forty years! Oh – and I religiously rotate my infusion sites (which I do every 48 hours) and my sensors – yet I still develop scar tissue that forces me to go on pump vacations!

3. CJ
    CJ December 7, 2012 at 8:27 am | | Reply

Reading that your dog was there made me think of training him/her as a service dog. Dogs have been shown to be more effective than CGMs at sensing lows. There’s a place here in Seattle that will train your family dog, so long as they have a good disposition. I’m sure similar services can be found in other cities. I’m a T1 that’s just starting using insulin and I am considering having one of my pups trained.

1. Anne
      Anne December 12, 2012 at 8:06 pm | | Reply

This was just posted in the Wall Street Journal. Shana is a DOC friend of mine who is an excellent resource if you want to train your own diabetes alert dog. You are also welcome to email me :-)

4. Erin
    Erin December 7, 2012 at 9:07 am | | Reply

As I’m reading this, I’m actually killing time after a low until my blood sugar is in a safe range for me to drive again. It is frustrating! But, I really appreciated June S.’s perspective. A few minutes or hours lost is better than a whole life-time. And I guess it forces me to slow down from the hectic pace of life.

5. Tim
    Tim December 7, 2012 at 9:14 am | | Reply

I’ve been having a rash of lows lately. Three in the 60 range on Monday alone. Hang in there brother!

6. Terry
    Terry December 7, 2012 at 9:52 am | | Reply

MIke – I’m glad to read you pulled yourself out of that hypo. It ended well and I would consider the time lost as “tuition” if you make then make some concrete change to minimize the chances of it happening again. Perhaps finding an alternate site for your Dex, like the back of your arm, might help. I enjoy reading your columns!

7. Mike Ratrie
    Mike Ratrie December 7, 2012 at 1:38 pm | | Reply

Mike, interesting post. I too have had lost blocks of time attributed to BG excursions. I especially dislike the continued feeling of being low even after I have corrected and have the BG back in range. As I type this, I am having that exact set of symptoms, with trouble concentrating and taking a “break” from what I really should be doing right now because my brain is feeling …. wonky.

Do you take pump vacations for other reasons?

8. Angela Coles (@ToucanScraps)
    Angela Coles (@ToucanScraps) December 9, 2012 at 11:08 am | | Reply

Dr’s didn’t test me for hypoglycaemic as a child, they still don’t recognise it as a condition in it’s own right here, only as an insulin injection side affect. Two of my kids have t1 diabetes and now we know that I was having hypos as a child (and occasionally as an adult) not unexplained seizures.
    I used to regularly “loose time”. One of my most vivid memories was of sitting in a German class, the lesson had just started. The teacher asked the class a questions. Then she called my name twice and asked me for the answer. I gave it. The whole class roared with laughter and then the bell signalling the end of class rang. I had lost a whole 1 1/2 hours. I was still sitting and had my eyes open, but was effectively unconscious.

9. Judi
    Judi December 9, 2012 at 11:45 am | | Reply

For people without diabetes, the closest way that many can relate to this concept is being really drunk and the next day not being able to remember parts of time from the evening before. It’s sort of the same concept.

10. dean donham
    dean donham December 15, 2012 at 11:13 am | | Reply

This is oh so true- I was on multiple injections for years and went on a pump 3 montns ago,and I must say the lows are more infrequent and easier to deal with-but when I think about the seemingly countless hours not only that I lost,but also the hours lost by your family, loved ones,friends,co-workers,and sometimes complete strangers that can be involved in these circumstances can lead to a vicious cycle of other big time wasters;guilt and self pity(the devil’s babysitter)-anyway,good luck and God Bless,you really struck a sensitive nerve with this provacative post
    thanks,Dean

11. Adam
    Adam January 16, 2013 at 2:36 pm | | Reply

Well Mike,

I know the feeling. You see, I woke up hypoglycemic this morning. Not a fun way to start the day! A dream in which a friend from a few year’s past told me that I needed to do something. I don’t remember what that something was. Check my blood sugar maybe ? Anyway, I woke up and did get a low blood sugar reading and corrected it. So I guess I ought to count this a success.

I have never had a CGM. But if I did have one, I’d probably forget to wear it to bed the night after strenuous physical exercise, and end up with nocturnal hypoglycemia.

Adam

12. Patients for a Moment: What it feels like | DUNCAN CROSS

[...] Mike Hoskins at DiabetesMine writes that blood sugar ‘highs’ feel like “we’re stuck in molasses. Tired. Can’t get motivated.” But lows feel like disappearing, like hours have been stolen from your life. His post is “Going Low and Losing Time”. [...]