1. Mary Dexter
    Mary Dexter December 19, 2012 at 7:23 am | | Reply

Could they also test for antibodies to cut down on the rate of misdiagnosis? I was one whom they assumed must be Type 2 until they tested me for GAD. Voila, LADA and I started insulin. 1 in 5 Type 2s are rediagnosed with LADA. I often wonder if that’s just the number who dared to question and/or lucked into having knowledgeable health care.

1. Tim
      Tim December 19, 2012 at 2:09 pm | | Reply

Testing for antibodies is expensive. It’s probably why they didn’t test me at first.

1. Mary Dexter
        Mary Dexter December 19, 2012 at 3:51 pm | | Reply

But how much does it cost to do without insulin when one doesn’t make enough of one’s own?

1. Tim
          Tim December 19, 2012 at 8:55 pm |

I was LADA, so the process took about 18 months before I actually needed meal-time insulin. Until that point, I was flogging my pancreas for the required insulin.

Not everyone’s onset is latent like that. It should be pretty obvious after a few weeks that oral meds alone aren’t cutting it. I, however, was NOT just taking oral meds. I was also taking Lantus because my BG were so high (hint, hint).

2. DennisTheMenance
    DennisTheMenance December 20, 2012 at 5:48 am | | Reply

Well I think it’s just another GIMMICK to make a Buck!
    - We can Be pretty good at Seeing if a Obese person has Kids, over 50% of their Fat Genes will be passed on..
    - OBESITY is still the #1 Cause, is it not?
    -And since we have not Figured out how to Stop Obesity, let alone Loose And Keep Off Enough weght ?
    -They are just DOOMED ..
    -Blaming Anything else as the Cause is just to make them Feel Better and Not Be More Responsible
    -And just another Medical Test, for the Medical Profession/Hosptials and alike to Have done to make them More $.. and To Try to get ObamaCare to pay for it..of course..

3. Gretchen
    Gretchen December 20, 2012 at 5:41 pm | | Reply

Will, this is an interesting article on placebo effects that suggests that just getting attention from a health care person can improve a patient’s condition.

So maybe more frequent contact with patients and prepatients, possibly in group settings, might help reduce backsliding.