1. Joanne
    Joanne November 20, 2012 at 2:07 pm | | Reply

We had a horrible experience while travelling with my 4 year old this summer. Turns out they can’t pat down a child, and when I refused to let her go though the scanner with her pod, the kept us in security for an hour, all the while trying to avoid looking at my daughter who was crying hysterically. at one point they wouldn’t give us back her testing supplies when she said she felt low. My husband was able to convince them they were in violation of my daughter’s rights. in the end, we missed our flight due to the incompetence of the TSA.

Thankfully, on our return flight, the agents were much better trained and equipped to handle a CWD. This was 3 months ago and it still makes me beyond angry.

2. Kathy
    Kathy November 20, 2012 at 2:58 pm | | Reply

Been through several large airports (Bush Int’l in Houston, O’Hare in Chicago, Ft. Lauderdale) and never had a problem, even when I forgot to ID my diabetes supplies. In second-tier airports, I’ve had agents who are presumably being trained in these smaller markets do everything up to and including opening my test kit, swabbing my LANCET with some TSA mystery substance, and dropping my glass insulin vials on the hard floors. It all depends when and where you fly but I’m hardly convinced the TSA does any of this to keep anyone “safe”…

3. Bernard Farrell
    Bernard Farrell November 21, 2012 at 5:51 am | | Reply

I traveled last week from Boston Logan to San Jose and back. I’d read the recent warnings about full body scanners and made sure to avoid those. My new Tandem t-slim pump did set off the walk through detector, so I had to go through a full body pat down. It adds about 10 minutes to the process. They generally swab my hands and pump to check for explosives, that happened even with my Cozmo which didn’t set off the alarm.

So be patient. Whatever we think of the effectiveness of TSA the agents are just trying to do their job. I always try to stay calm and cheerful figuring that it’s not any easier for them if I get annoyed.

Safe travels everyone.

4. Beth Scanlon
    Beth Scanlon November 21, 2012 at 8:31 am | | Reply

I always insist on the pat-down. I usually use the words “opt out.”
    Most TSA agents want to insist that they get hundreds of pumps thru and that I will be ok. Some are argumentative. I carry a
    letter. I tell them that I have just checked in with Animas my pump company. The argument that they tend figure it out is when I ask them if they want to be responsible for a 6000 dollar mistake. I also understand why they want to limit the “opt-outs.” They are short staffed and busy especially around holiday travel time and they have a number of compulsory pat-downs to do. Be prepared for a little resistance, but push on and opt out!

5. Seth B.
    Seth B. December 3, 2012 at 8:42 pm | | Reply

Some airports offer full body scan others have old school metal detectors. Most have a combo of the two, so I never know what to expect.
    Like Bernard F., I consider going through airport security an adventure and not an inconvenience.
    When I checked with Animas they said that if I go through full body scan, my pump warranty becomes null and void. So I “opt out”.
    I am in the process of applying for the TSA trusted traveler program, but that will still not help me get through security any faster with the pump on.

6. T1