1. Khürt
    Khürt November 15, 2012 at 5:25 am | | Reply

This book is what I would expect from someone who admittedly has not clue about diabetes or the life of a person with diabetes.

2. June S.
    June S. November 15, 2012 at 6:20 am | | Reply

Definitely, she has used an archaic system and wants to market it to 21st-century people. I was diagnosed in 1972, and the “exchange system” actually served me well, at least in one way. I was prescribed a diet, which I was told to adhere to. And I did adhere to it for a few decades. What was good about it was that the dietician had prescribed a BALANCED diet for me. I ate an abundance of vegetables and fruits, while I know too many recently-diagnosed children who are counting carbs only, and would gladly have Pirate’s Booty, or even candy, as carbs rather than bread. Also, I was hospitalized briefly last year (kidney stone) and was shocked to see that the food they sent me from the hospital’s kitchen was listed according to the “exchange system” and that there were no carb counts listed. This was in an otherwise modern hospital, not far from NYC!

3. Laddie
    Laddie November 15, 2012 at 6:27 am | | Reply

Having used the exchange system back in the 70′s and 80′s, it is still fully ingrained in me. Even when I carb count, I still seem to think in blocks of 15 carbs.

In lots of ways the exchange system is a balanced diet with portion control that would be a healthy diet for most of us. I eat fewer carbs and snacks than my prescribed exchange diet had, but i think it would still work for me as long as I used carb counting to adjust for things that might have fewer or more carbs than 15 grams.

Those of us who spend a lot of time online and take smartphones for granted sometimes don’t realize that there is a huge population of people with diabetes who don’t have smartphones. They may be too expensive or complicated.

If this SureCount book had some real carb counts in it, it might be something that would be valuable to some people. Books like Calorie King can be overwhelming because they have so much information. Right now it just looks like something that would come in your “Welcome to Diabetes” packet that lives eternally in the bottom of a drawer somewhere.

4. Mary Dexter
    Mary Dexter November 15, 2012 at 6:50 am | | Reply

I loved Time Tunnel when I was 12 and was madly in love with James Darren. You brought back happy memories.

I learned to carb count and micromanage my pump settings. But I’ve eaten in restaurants with the exchange listed and I know plenty of people, young and old, of both Types who never carb count (or test), including a 30-something guy whose pump is set at 1:15 and who estimates by 15s.They all think I’m weird.

5. Jennifer
    Jennifer November 15, 2012 at 6:58 am | | Reply

I”m only 28 so definitely not the little old lady in Tulsa, but I must say I still use the exchange system. After 20 years my brain is just trained to think in units of 15. Sometimes that means I add up all the carbs on labels and divide by 15 which may be more work, but it’s the way my pump has always been set up.
    Don’t know that I see any use in this book though.

6. SJ
    SJ November 15, 2012 at 7:13 am | | Reply

Hmmm… looks like the exact same info that was on all of those useless photocopies they gave us at the hospital when my daughter was diagnosed with T1. They all went directly into the recycling bin.

7. Susan f
    Susan f November 15, 2012 at 8:01 am | | Reply

While I would not use this as a type I, I do see a market it for it with gestestational diabetes. As the resident diabetes expert at my company, I can’t tell you how many women with gestational seek me out, and are overwhelmed by true carb counting.

8. Tim
    Tim November 15, 2012 at 11:25 am | | Reply

SureCount, is like listening to an .mp3 recorded onto a cassette tape played on a $5,000 stereo. Any questions I have are better answered by going to the product itself. And 15 carbs for a slice of bread? Not really. 18-20, depending on which brand I buy.

1. Mary Dexter
      Mary Dexter November 15, 2012 at 1:31 pm | | Reply

Roman Meal is 25 carbs for 2 slices.

You have to be careful though. Sometimes they, I won’t say lie, but certainly take advantage of the “at least 80% but no upper limit” FDA guideline. Ate some expensive bread that purportedly had 7g carbs for 1 oz (note: not per slice). The 2 slices had many more carbs than 14.

9. Dan Patrick
    Dan Patrick November 15, 2012 at 1:15 pm | | Reply

This is a suggestion for a tool to use at home. There is an EatSmart Nutrition Scale by Health Tools LLC. There is a wide variation in attempting to “guess” how many carbs are contained within a given item. An orange is an orange, BUT how large the orange is a different matter. The actual weight of the time can be used to the determine the number of carbs in a particular item. Hope this helps and as always have a great day.
    Dan

10. Sysy
    Sysy November 15, 2012 at 5:31 pm | | Reply

I would like it to become common knowledge that 15 grams of carbs from oatmeal is not equivalent to 15 grams of carbs from raspberries. It’s so different it’s not surprising my previous efforts were so sadly rewarded.

I’m sure tools like this are a fit for some but we’re all definitely moving away from books whose pages we can flip.

I was never introduced to the exchange system because even in 1994 my doctor said it was a little bit outdated. But I guess there is a population out there that benefits from it.

11. Jennifer
    Jennifer November 20, 2012 at 1:16 pm | | Reply

I have actually used this product – I’m newly diagnosed and I have no clue how to get started about what I can eat. This makes it easy for me to figure out what to look for. I know – obviously its supposed to be used as a guide, so if it lists an apple at 15 carbs, I know if I have a gigantic apple, its going to be more than that. BUT, for people just learning – I think its a great product to use, its small and I don’t have a smart phone, so downloading an app won’t work for me. Definitely worth the price in my book!

12. DennisTheMenance
    DennisTheMenance November 26, 2012 at 4:40 pm | | Reply

Thanks- as a T1- I learned the Hard way..
    “If I don’t Know the Carbs? THEN I CAN”T EAT IT !
    Go eat something you Do know what the carbs are..
    So many Lables are So Misleading too !
    Total Carbs = 10 g
    But Have to Look as per Serving all the time
    and have to Use a MAGNIFYING GLASS

I gave up!
    Set up 5 Bkfts/10 Lunches/10 Dinners
    Looked up the Carbs and the Weight and measured them All out
    They are My Bible of what to Eat and I Don’t Diviate from it.. That is all the types of Food I keep in my Kitchen/Cabinets and Frig and when I go eat out..

If all else Fails? Its Steak, some Palm size Veggies and that’s it..
    And oddly enough? McD’s have been Very Good with their Carb readings..

Of course< most Women I know, can't stand the Same O, Same O. so that is a Problem with them..Not Us Guys.. We're just Anixious to get to having a Beer afterwards anyway..