1. The sarcastic medved type2
    The sarcastic medved type2 November 8, 2012 at 5:28 am | | Reply

Good for her. There is such a stigma of being diagnosed with type 2 diabetes.
    I know from experience, because I encountered it.
    I was diagnosed in 1999 as T2. I used to test and inject in public restrooms when I was out in a Restaurant. Starting in 2010, I decided no more.
    No one has given me a second glance when I inject in public.

2. Kim
    Kim November 8, 2012 at 6:06 am | | Reply

Beautiful story, with parts that certainly resonate for me. Diabetes is best played as a team sport!

3. Kate
    Kate November 8, 2012 at 8:08 am | | Reply

Wonderful story! It’s great to read yet another success story from someone with T2. Empowering!

4. StephenS
    StephenS November 8, 2012 at 10:37 am | | Reply

Great story… very empowering to know that people are out there taking crafting their own diabetes message.

5. Caty Smith
    Caty Smith November 8, 2012 at 1:42 pm | | Reply

Thanks for sharing your inspiring story. I was just diagnosed with diabetes and I love hearing others’ stories. They give me courage and power to press forward. And gives me a need to stay healthy living with diabetes. Thanks for your power!

6. Kate
    Kate November 9, 2012 at 4:03 am | | Reply

As a T1 who looks like a T2 (although does anyone ever really “look” like either?) I was diagnosed at the age of 37. The OVERWHELMING sense of shame and feeling that I had done this to myself still sneak up on me occasionally. I used to test in the bathroom, inject in private, and not share my story. I have definitely found strength in numbers and a huge sense of community in the d world online.
    I am an A1C Champion (a1cchampions.com), and Kellie, it sounds like you are too! Please check out our website and see if this kind of sharing is something that might interest you. I found out about this program via Amy T., btw.
    Thank you for sharing your story. It’s beautiful.

7. | Best Betes Blogs
    | Best Betes Blogs December 3, 2012 at 12:25 am |

[...] When reading this post I was thinking about the courage post listed above and my favorite quote about courage – “Courage is not the absence of fear but the ability to act in the presence of fear” Mikes guest post on Diabetes Mine [...]

8. k2
    k2 December 3, 2012 at 3:09 pm | | Reply

Kellie – YOU. ROCK on so many levels – Not only did you help yourself by coming out of the Diabetes Closet, you’ve helped so many others in the process!!

9. Tom Karlya (Diabetesdad)
    Tom Karlya (Diabetesdad) December 3, 2012 at 3:12 pm | | Reply

Kellie—-YOU ARE my hero today. Just fabulous. It stops being a lie when we tell the truth to ourselves. Thank you for sharing.

10. “Coming out of the closet” with Your Diabetes

[...] this article from Diabetes Mine’s writer and video-blogger, Mike Lawson, a young woman shares her story about finally telling the people in her life that she was diagnosed [...]

11. “Coming out of the closet” with Your Diabetes | Diabetes Center

12. karl Fenn
    karl Fenn March 23, 2013 at 7:58 pm | | Reply

Of course this is an interesting article, but I think in some cases people see diabetes from just one perspective, of course in the past decades there was probably a leapor stigma attached to diabetes, and I understand why people would have some concern over the disclosure of the condition, of course there are some elements of discrimination still left in society by those who use such information with malicious intention, but lets face the relality, they are a minority, and in some way’s behind the times regarding intelligence, and not the sort of people I would care to keep company with anyway, we can now perhaps look at things in a different perspective, firstly I meet people some times on a daily basis who have diabetes, it is now a very common condition, all sorts of people have contracted this, from airline pilots, to doctors, from, doctors to actors,from, actors to road sweepers, from, road sweepers to just about anyone or any profession, I used to feel the odd one out with diabetes, but it seems now wherever I go, when, the diabetic topic arises you find someone in the same grouping who has it, it is not something to feel guilty about, or hide, it is a very common condition now effecting very large numbers of peoplein society. we are all certainly not alone, if we think about this aspect it can help us overide any unjustified or outdated stigma of past decades, we must see diabetes as it is today, and not as it once was historically. Things have changed so much, I think they use an old saying we are in this together, we are certainly not alone!