1. Mike Ratrie
    Mike Ratrie October 16, 2012 at 8:20 am | | Reply

This is what I posted over @ Sugabetic’s blog:

Hmmm … the excise tax doesn’t take effect until 2018. I can see where the company would say, they are moving to the higher co-pay and deductible plan to “prepare” and so employees wouldn’t be “shocked” by a change in 2018, but still … could their explanation have any between the lines interpretation?

FWIW, my own health plan has seen co-pay and deductible increases (or coverage decreases) every year for over 20 years.

A couple of other points. There is a provision in the ACA that says if the health insurance plan for Congress and Federal employees increases by 55% between the start of the act and 2018, then the threshold for taxing “Cadillac” plans increases as well. After some recent reading on how healthcare is likely to keep growing at a higher rate than inflation, I wouldn’t be surprised to see the threshold increased to better meet “reality”. Also keep in mind the 40% tax is on the amount ABOVE the threshold. Therefore, if a family plan is $28,500 and the threshold is $27,500, the tax would be 40% of $1000, or $400.

On the flip side, certain plans in certain states are likely to see some pretty significant taxation amounts by the time 2018 rolls around. UGH!

2. David
    David October 16, 2012 at 11:25 am | | Reply

I suppose some non-PWD’s are blissfully unaware that health care coverage has declined over the years.

I have no interest in patient-centered improvements. What would most help my T1 are affordable pump and CGM and yet my DME copay has progressively increased from 20% to 30% and now 50%.

3. John
    John October 16, 2012 at 11:40 am | | Reply

Healthcare has been a runaway freight train for years in this country and while there are some important parts in ObamaCare, one of the most important pieces that is effectively absent is limiting compensatory damages. But, why bite the hand that feeds you. Most socialized medicine in EU provides for limits on compensatory damages.

The Supreme Court weased out on their ruling, effectively subjugating all TAX PAYING americans to be taxed at will in order to pay for this plan.

If anyone thinks the world will get better is an Ostrich.

1. Tim
      Tim October 16, 2012 at 12:03 pm | | Reply

Every time someone mentions limiting compensatory damages, it’s a little distressing to me. The only arena where an individual and a corporation can fight on a level playing field is civil court.

Since the Liebeck v. McDonald’s case (which Lieback won), people have been screaming for tort reform without understanding one salient fact: limiting compensatory damages actually takes power away from the people. Before many states adopted caps on compensation amounts, do you know who decided what damages would be in a civil injury case? A jury, made up of people like you and me. We now effectively have no way to make a company change dangerous policies short of criminal prosecution.

What few people know about the aforementioned case is that McDs had 700 complaints from people getting burned by coffee AND the punitive damages initially awarded by the jury (2.5 million) was two days PROFIT from coffee sales.

Now an individual suing for damages from a company is limited in their compensation no matter what a jury decides, though the cost for treating their injuries is not limited by a cap.

4. David
    David October 16, 2012 at 12:15 pm | | Reply

I’m guessing the biggest impact of the new laws is to give previously uninsured T1′s access to insulin and strips. As one already paying into the system, I may not see any bottom-line difference in my benefits/cost although it is nice to know I can’t ever be denied coverage for my pre-existing condition.

Btw, why do I need a doc to renew my scrips? It’s not like my T1 is going away. Every visit to my doc for scrip renewals is probably
    billed to insurance in the hundreds of dollars, for what, the equivalent of a signature?

5. Mom of T1
    Mom of T1 October 17, 2012 at 12:06 pm | | Reply

Sadly, the recent decision of Medi-Cal to limit the number of test strips per day to 5 sets a precedent for ACA to limit test strips–government insurance tends to focus or cost effectiveness and effectiveness of treatment-not necessarily the most innovative or best quality of life treatments. Pumps will become harder to get as will Flexpens. MDI wih vials and syringes are considered “good enough”….government involved in healthcare decisions is scary.

6. anonymous
    anonymous October 17, 2012 at 11:01 pm | | Reply

As a child, my father coached me from an early age that I could not be an artist, an entrepreneur, a small business owner… in short, he coached me I could NOT be ANYTHING I wanted to be.

The reason for this was simple. I was diabetic. And unless I worked for a big company, I would never be able to get coverage by myself.

Luckily I grew up being ‘okay’ with working for a big company, but that fear of a major complication setting in, and me being unable to work to maintain coverage is overwhelming. Most folks don’t understand that a company has no obligation to cover you if you can no longer work. Cobra only lasts so long. If you are disabled ‘enough’ to not be able to work, but not ‘enough’ to qualify for SS disability medical coverage, you are royally screwed.

Denying folks with pre-existing conditions coverage is evil. But you can’t have one without the other. You can’t say we’ll cover anyone with a pre-existing without having enough money to pay for it. And that ability to pay for it means everyone has to have coverage (or everyone would just wait for calamity to happen and then enroll).

I’m glad you are worried about the number of times you can test a day. Government is not taking away your flexpen or insulin pump or cgms. In fact, medicare COVERS CGMS RIGHT NOW. That is government – right now – covering it.

I can’t tell you how many times I met folks while receiving chemo that had RUN OUT OF INSURANCE. Do you know what it is like to receive life saving treatment in one arm while watching the guy next to you get denied? What do you say to that man? “I wanted to make sure I could test 6 times a day instead of 5!”

7. Sunday Funnies: Debating Our Election Choices : DiabetesMine: the all things diabetes blog

[...] Seriously Folks: Don’t forget to vote in this big election! [...]