1. Kathy
    Kathy October 22, 2012 at 11:07 am | | Reply

Having just gone through my own ordeal I would love it if you could next write about gynecological complications and diabetes. For example, PWD are 2-3 times more likely to develop endometrial cancer than those without. Thanks!

1. Kathy
      Kathy October 23, 2012 at 6:37 am | | Reply

Also, forgot to add – I learned that many women with autoimmune diseases (lupus, MS, type 1 diabetes) go through menopause 7-8 years earlier than normal women…

2. Puddin
    Puddin October 24, 2012 at 11:44 am | | Reply

I went through mastopathy complications about 15 years ago.

During a routine exam, found a lump, got the mammogram, scheduled a biopsy. because I was so young and knew my D was out of control at the time, I somehow knew the cause of the lump was D related and not cancer. Of course I still had all the procedures done, as it was the smart thing to do.

The doc, at the time, was unaware of any D related breast issues. I did my own research and brought what little I found about it to him prior to the biopsy. We both learned something.

Thanks for shedding some light on this.

3. SaraMyers
    SaraMyers October 24, 2012 at 2:52 pm | | Reply

A few years ago I discovered lump in left breast, on the midline, just inside the bra cup area – mammogram, sonogram and then biopsy. Talking to doctor after biopsy, she saying it didn’t look like anything, but it would be a few days. As shes talking I put my bra back on, pop my pump back into its usual place in my bra between my breasts – oncologist asks if that’s where I usually wear it. Yep, lump by pump! Who would have ever figured that out if I had waited to dress until doctor left the room?

4. Cait
    Cait February 16, 2013 at 11:42 pm | | Reply

I just went through this a few weeks ago. The surgeon thought it was most likely cancer although she mentioned it could be mastopathy. My kicker was that I was cured of type 1 diabetes 3 years ago with a pancreas transplant. I had diabetes for 33 years, very few of those years were well controlled. I have had every complication out there and a bunch I never heard about. Thanks for giving me all this information, I thought I was done with diabetes-I guess that is not possible.

1. Nora
      Nora June 16, 2013 at 2:58 pm | | Reply

Reply to Cait: How did you get the pancreas transplant? I am 36 this year, had diabetes for 23 yrs. and can’t seem to find a way to get this transplant and get rid of diabetes? What do I have to do?

5. Stacey
    Stacey July 4, 2013 at 8:26 pm | | Reply

I have had diabetes for 24 years. 2 years ago I found lumps in both breasts. They each were the size if large marbles. I went to the doctor to be examined and she was not concerned. Within 6 months they had grown to the size of peaches. I was referred to a surgeon who diagnosed it as fibrous tissue disease. They proceeded to remove the lumps for biopsy and found no evidence of malignant tumors. Shortly after surgery the sight got worse! The entire lower half of my breast was now affected. I continually went to be examined with the same response (fibrous tissue disease) I followed instructions with diet and evening primrose. The lumps began to become painful and my breast would swell at times. About 4 months ago I was seen by a gynecologist who suggested I be seen by the surgeon again. I requested a different doctor this time. Within the first five minutes of the appointment the new doc said that I had been missed diagnosed and I have diabetic mastopathy but she was puzzled by why its painful. She told me there was no treatment or cure except for a complete mastectomy. The pain gets pretty bad at times, so I let her know that I would like to look into the option of the mastectomy. ( not that I want to have then removed, the pain gets really bad)! The started with a core biopsy and the doc was planning to make an appointment and begin the process of getting ready for a mastectomy. When the results came back from the biopsy she said that the mass is too large to see if there is any cancer but from the biopsies they took they did not find any concrete evidence. She told me that it would be best for me to wait 8 years then come back to talk to her about options. I have to say that I am struggling. The pain is steadily getting worse! It’s extremely uncomfortable to wear a bra. If I bump them its painful for hours! The lump is now my entire left breast and half my nipple, and 3/4 of my right breast. Nothing subdues the pain. New lumps are forming rapidly and I am running out of tissue that is not affected. Please I am really scared!