1. Scott E
    Scott E October 8, 2012 at 5:26 pm | | Reply

As someone whose only used a competitor’s CGM, I’m naturally intrigued about this and wondering if there is an opportunity to use it on a trial basis before taking the plunge. I wonder if Dex has any such program, or if I need to go through my endo to try to find a loaner (which is quite unlikely, I suspect!)

1. Vijay
      Vijay October 25, 2012 at 6:20 am | | Reply

Actually your Endo/Diabetes Educator should lend you one but bcause of huge demand you may have to wait a while. I have borrowed every device from mine before I bought a pump or a CGM.

2. SJ
    SJ October 8, 2012 at 10:34 pm | | Reply

Now if only we had this integrated with the pump and a separate receiver for parents – then I’d really be excited!

3. Liz
    Liz October 9, 2012 at 5:35 am | | Reply

Hi Amy, Love the blog! Would kill for a Dexcom ;) Just wondering if it’d be ok for me to post a link or widget for my petition for Medicare to cover CGM’s-which at this time they DO NOT-here? Thanks for all the info!

1. Chris
      Chris October 10, 2012 at 10:01 pm | | Reply

Petition to CMS? Tried an Appeal???

2. Vijay
      Vijay October 25, 2012 at 6:22 am | | Reply

The accuracy is now not good enough to use for Bolus. It may never be but they are trying.

4. Diabetes Information - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

[...] Monitoring System) if I'm not mistaken this will be tied with several different insulin pumps http://www.diabetesmine.com/2012/10/…ed-by-fda.html Check your blood Sugar and go for a ride. Ivan __________________ US AirForce – Retired 1974 [...]

5. David
    David October 9, 2012 at 8:52 am | | Reply

Way to go Dexcom! I want my blue right now!

I marvel at what Dexcom has achieved from the beginning. Every updated generation has been substantive and no sooner is one generation launched, they are already working on the next one. Is there any more improvement to be squeezed out of chemical sensor technology?!

I wish they would allow multiple alert settings for different times of day. If Dexcom hasn’t implemented it by now, I guess they never will. A minor nit but I’d also like the 1 hour screen to be the default or better yet, let us choose the default.

6. Chris
    Chris October 9, 2012 at 4:02 pm | | Reply

Does anyone know how often insurance will usually cover a new CGMS? Mine is out of warranty but not 2 years old yet.

7. God
    God October 9, 2012 at 6:21 pm | | Reply

While any new approval is exciting, could someone please tell me how the following is different from the SevenPlus with this regard:

•The LCD display gives you an “in-motion picture” showing not only glucose levels, but also the speed and direction in which one’s BG is moving (with the well-known up and down arrows displayed at the top by the current BG level).

Not to be nit-picky, but the improvement in data gaps should probably be a sub-section of the transmission range, unless it is a sensor improvement.

Do we know for a fact that the SevenPlus won’t work, or to ask it another way, are the sensors compatible with a Seven Plus transmitter?

Can you use the different tones with different volumes?

I find it funny that they are excited about being able to program hypo ranges below 70. What about for different times of day like at night?

Does anyone else get annoyed with the 55 alert being hard-wired? I would prefer a predictive alert, which would have been really nice in this.

Does it have the same insertion as the Seven Plus?

While I am excited about the accuracy, size of the receiver, and increased range, the 6 month warranty/life on the transmitter is not exciting and it just seems to be color Seven Plus.

1. MikeH
      MikeH October 9, 2012 at 8:18 pm | | Reply

The Studio previews show a different looking screen that also has a pattern identification screen for trends and such. Data gap improvement was said to be a result of both range and better technology changes. Personally, I’m a fan of the 55 versus 70 alert. This has predictive alerts: that’s the whole point of the Low and High alerts and arrows: not just to ell where where you are but where you’re going. Yes, the sound samples in the Dex website indicate there’s volume control on the tones. And as written in the post based on what we asked- the new sensors won’t work with the Seven Plus and old sensors won’t work with new G4 system.

1. God
        God October 9, 2012 at 9:15 pm | | Reply

I should preface this with the fact that have used navigator, medtronic, and Dexcom CGMs.

The first part of my comment isn’t about Studio, it is about the LCD on the monitor and the point was that it is nothing new.

The greater flexibility in the low range is nice, but I just find it funny since other manufacturers (medtronic and navigator if I remember correctly) have had that flexibility for some time and even more so since I know Medtronic (I have their pump but no longer use their CGM) has the ability to change the range by the time (great for when you are sleeping).

I’m not sure who told you it has predictive alerts, but in their call with investors yesterday they explicitly said there are no predictive alerts.

Since you brought up the software, I might as well comment on that as well. DM3 has always been interesting to me. They do some cool things with it, but I have always seen it as a doctors tool. Why do I mention DM3? Because Studio is merely a face lift of it plus that new report. Having played with the report thanks to the backwards compatibility, I actually find it offensive to my intelligence as it adds very little insight in my opinion.

Again, I love that it is something new and they have made some nice improvements, but take everything at face value.

1. Doug
          Doug October 10, 2012 at 9:33 am |

God has spoken… ;-)

8. Mary
    Mary October 9, 2012 at 6:47 pm | | Reply

Thanks for the write up. I can’t wait for the future generations from Dexcom.

9. absolute personal fitness
    absolute personal fitness October 10, 2012 at 10:34 pm | | Reply

Dexcom looks great! Thanks for your entry.

10. Ellen Cooper RN MSN CDE
    Ellen Cooper RN MSN CDE October 11, 2012 at 10:57 am | | Reply

My Dexcom rep told me the new G4 was not FDA approved for “multiple users” so I don’t think the company will be able to offer loaners for people to try before purchase, as they did in the past. For this reason, the G4 won’t be used for professional CGM in medical offices. We have to continue to use our Seven for that. There seems to be a heightened safety concern at FDA these days regarding medical equipment which is passed on from one patient to another.

11. willie sowell
    willie sowell October 23, 2012 at 1:14 pm | | Reply

Im interested in obtaining the new dexcom cgm…is it covered by medicare/medicaid?

1. janine.hummel
      janine.hummel June 26, 2013 at 9:38 pm | | Reply

it is covered by neither medicare nor medicaid. i was on the phone for an hour saturday night, with a diabetic rep at medicare, and she had no idea what the item WAS. although it is considered durable medical equipment, it is not on their lists. she said they do not cover; then dexcom called also. no coverage.

1. David Worthington
        David Worthington June 28, 2013 at 12:58 am | | Reply

Janine, if a diabetic rep at “medicare” had no idea what a Dexcom CGM was, they would not be in a position to say it was not on their lists, because they didn’t know what they were looking for. I have Senior Advantage with Kaiser, so I deal with the Kaiser Durable Medical Equipment office for Northern California. If you deal directly with people at “medicare”, perhaps it’s because you are on Part A and D, rather than Part C (including A, B & D), as I am. If you are not on Part D, you have no coverage in any event.

Anyway, I was not only provided the Dexcom SEVEN, but was able to upgrade to the G4 Platinum when the transmitter on my SEVEN ran out (after two years), and not only was that no problem, but like the SEVEN it was provided with NO COPAY AT ALL. Yep, it, and all replacement sensors, are at no cost to me beyond my Medicare and $119 Kaiser Part C monthly premium.

The Dexcom G4 CGM is covered by Medicare, at least when on the formulary of the insurance provider you have for Part C Advantage plans like Kaiser.

12. Rob Anooshian
    Rob Anooshian October 23, 2012 at 8:42 pm | | Reply

Just contacted Dexcom about an upgrade (I’ve been a user/proud supporter of the Dexcom 7 system for many years, paying out of pocket for my sensors since my insurance plan won’t cover).
    I was informed by Customer Service that since my original purchase was over 2 years ago, that I am not eligible for an upgrade and would have to pay the full price of $1198 for an upgrade!!!???
    Are you kidding me? Is this how a company treats it’s long term customers?
    Although I would love to have the new system and be able to adjust the alarm alerts so that my highs don’t set off air raid level-decibel alarms, I will not be eager to fork over another grand to a company that cares little about it’s long term customers, especially those who pay out of pocket.
    Hope there’s a competitor soon.
    My two cents,
    Rob

13. Nataliebe
    Nataliebe October 27, 2012 at 12:51 pm | | Reply

I’ve been wearing the new sensor since Wednesday and I LOVE it.

More accurate than my 7+, better range (I can shower and run around the house getting ready for work and not get ‘lost’) and more accurate.

It is not for multiple users, so no trials before you buy. Relax. It’s worth it. And they will still return it after 30 days if you don’t like it.

Again. I love it. Will not even lend to a friend.

14. Connected Insulin Pumps: Accu-Chek Combo vs. Animas Ping : DiabetesMine: the all things diabetes blog

[...] appealing displays has sure been catching on! The new VerioIQ meter from OneTouch and the brand new DexCom G4 Continuous Glucose Monitor both have full-color, bright displays that rival the display of the newest smartphones and are [...]

15. David Worthington
    David Worthington November 9, 2012 at 12:42 am | | Reply

I don’t understand Ellen Cooper’s Dexcom rep’s assertion that the G4 was not approved for “multiple users.” The approval letter says that it is intended for single patient use and requires a prescription, but that does not preclude single patient use AT A TIME. Serial monogamy is not the same as polygamy, after all.

The only part of the Seven Plus and G4 that touches the PWD is the hair-like sensor that must be inserted with a SINGLE-USE tool. There’s no medical reason I can think of that would justify preventing a provider from loaning the transmitter and receiver, with one (or more) sensors, to prospective users to try out before committing to a particular device.

1. God
      God November 9, 2012 at 9:34 pm | | Reply

I’ve heard it said that “There is logic and then there is FDA logic.” The FDA has a tough job in that they have to balance patient safety and efficacy. They have also become very conservative over the past decade for various reasons (e.g. vioxx). However, your analogy of serial monogamy and polygamy does not work in this case. In this case “single patient use” is for the entire system. If you really want to get technical, I don’t think the Seven Plus actually had “multiple patient” labeling, it just didn’t have “single-patient” labeling.

Obviously the sensor itself can’t be used on multiple patients, but I think their concern is the transmitter and monitor. First, the transmitter may get blood on it since a needle does go into the skin. I think it is probably extremely unlikely, but I guess there is a risk. The other risk is just general germs. Hospitals are hotbeds for germs, viruses, diseases, etc There have been studies that have shown in a matter of a week how contaminated a stuffed animal can become in a pediatric center.

Don’t think I am necessarily sticking up for the FDA, more like playing devil’s advocate and clarifying their position. I personally think they are effing crazy and way to conservative. If it wasn’t for political pressure their requirements for artificial pancreas studies would be so high few no company would have gone after it. It was only with a ton of political pressure that they brought their requirements to a reasonable level. If you think about it, Medtronic has had the Veo out in Europe for more than a couple years now so why can’t they use that real world patient data to submit that it is safe?

Anyone else want the soap box?

1. David Worthington
        David Worthington November 11, 2012 at 12:15 am | | Reply

You may be right about the FDA getting more conservative since the Seven Plus, in that IT was not labeled with regard to single or multiple patient use, and has exactly the same sensor/transmitter/receiver design. They clearly have concerns now that they did not have before, if not about this design, then perhaps appearances.

A bit of a shame “cooties” have become an issue, though. The transmitter is small enough it can be immersed in alcohol or any other disinfectant, and may even survive an autoclave. Handling a receiver someone else has used comes down to dealing with others, however, since there isn’t even body contact. There are cultures, of course, that don’t shake hands, so that can be important. You’d think the FDA would let such folk decide for themselves about the receiver, though, and allow the transmitter to be sterilized. Oh well.

16. Bob
    Bob November 16, 2012 at 3:06 pm | | Reply

Dexcom shipped me a replacement 7+ on August 24, 2012, and now wants $399 to upgrade. At that time I asked about the new system and was told they couldn’t discuss it. Since it was a replacement I was not in any hurry to get it and would have waited.
    They rushed to unload an old system on a loyal customer and for 7 days they want $399. Too bad . When my Dexcom sensors run out I’ll go back to Medtronic.

17. MARY
    MARY February 16, 2014 at 7:44 am | | Reply

YOU PEOPLE DO NOT WANT TO HELP ANY ONEI WAS IN TOUCH WITH YOU PEOPLE BECAUSE MEDICARE WOULD NOT PAY FOR YOUR EQUIPMENT SO I AM GOING TO GO WITH MEDCTRONIC THEY GO OUT OF THERE WAY TO HELP PEOPLE

18. Carol Juul
    Carol Juul July 11, 2014 at 9:24 pm | | Reply

Does anyone know where I can get Dexcom g4 sensors for cheap? Dexcom is really expensive