1. Leighann of D-Mom Blog
    Leighann of D-Mom Blog October 8, 2012 at 7:51 am | | Reply

Does the ad say who Christopher and Eloise are? Just curious.

My first thought when looking at the ad was actually that mostly white famous adults get type 1 diabetes. So it can’t be all that bad.

I assume that wasn’t their point, but two-thirds of the people featured are famous white adults.

1. AmyT
      AmyT October 8, 2012 at 8:05 am | | Reply

Good point Leighann!

2. Jessica Apple
    Jessica Apple October 8, 2012 at 12:59 pm | | Reply

Totally, Leighann. You are so right. Also, looking at the ad, If I didn’t know that I have zero musical talent (never ask me to sing unless you have earplugs handy) I might think T1D increases my chance of becoming a rockstar.

Mike, your question about advocacy organization spending big money on ads… I have very mixed feelings on that one. It would be great if more magazines donate space.

3. Tim
    Tim October 8, 2012 at 1:26 pm | | Reply

There was a time when media outlets, especially TV and radio, were required to donate airwave time to local concerns. Also, the FCC would have public meetings about whether they should renew a station’s license with emphasis on the question: is this station addressing the needs of the community? There is now less emphasis on that and more on profitability.

We, as citizens of this country, have the obligation to make it clear that WE decide what is best for our communities, WE decide when a TV or radio station should have their license renewed and WE should be deciding important legal questions like: are corporations people, despite the fact that they are a creation of a nation and not vice versa. Health organizations should have easy access to airtime and ad space as a matter or course, because information about these matters is literally life-or-death.

4. Scott E
    Scott E October 8, 2012 at 6:23 pm | | Reply

I like the ad. To be honest, I didn’t even notice who the people in the ad were before reading Leighann’s comment, I just noticed a collection of faces (admittedly, on my relatively small smartphone screen). Considering some of the heat that I feel JDRF has taken for not funneling every dollar towards cure-research, it underscores the “Improving lives” part of their tagline by displaying faces of real people who have benefitted from JDRF’s existence — even though none of us have been cured yet.

5. Type 1 Diabetes tests us every day - Nice Diabetes | Nice Diabetes

[...] Type 1 Diabetes tests us every day nice diabetes Published October 9, 2012 at 6:47 pm No Comments via diabetesmine.com [...]

6. Carissa Wiltse
    Carissa Wiltse October 9, 2012 at 6:40 pm | | Reply

Thanks for sharing, this is a fantastic post. Much obliged.

7. John
    John October 10, 2012 at 6:42 am | | Reply

The JDRF is lost. They spend most of their time, energy, and efforts in curing mice. To me, they hide behind the mice because humans are the ultimate test and if you fail there, it’s over. That is why I believe the JDRF is a lost organization that don’t deserve funding because it’s done nothing but make the band aids more expensive. Not to mention, how can you trust an organization that groups ‘cure’ with prevention? How has prevention helped TB and Polio victims….?

8. Allison
    Allison October 11, 2012 at 2:46 pm | | Reply

I think it is a good ad. I also think it is great that these celebrities(white though they may be) are willing to advocate. Halle Berry isn’t exactly an ideal JDRF spokesperson at this point, so they work with who they have. Let’s face it, celebrities attract attention, and attention( and funding) is what the JDRF is seeking. I much prefer this to the shock & awe ad from last year.