1. Joe
    Joe October 10, 2012 at 5:22 am | | Reply

Welcome to my world. I’m Bipolar, diagnosed back in 1988. Lithium and St. John’s Wort are my best friends. :-)

1. Judith Catterall
      Judith Catterall October 13, 2012 at 7:46 pm | | Reply

Lovely and important, but you are a lovely and important Young person. The emotional difficulties of being diagnose in one’s 60s overlap, of course, but are different. Still, Bravo for your awareness. I have found the Behavioral Diabetes Institute helpful over the years….Blessings on us all…Judith in Portland

2. april
    april October 10, 2012 at 12:37 pm | | Reply

thanks for sharing your story. this ship too has looked for it’s shoreline in the dark. imagine how depressed I became (while I was taking meds!! ) when our daughter became type 1 diabetic. luckily I can help guide her to the best of my ability. knowing that depression will most likely be an issue for her as well someday. I suppose I will be her tugboat in life.

3. west perth chiropractor
    west perth chiropractor October 10, 2012 at 5:36 pm | | Reply

Having diabetes is not that bad because there are a lot of support groups and positive reinforcement available. Mental health is important in dealing with diabetes because there will a lot of changes that we need to overcome.

4. Crystal
    Crystal October 11, 2012 at 5:23 am | | Reply

I’m glad that you recognized you needed assistance and were able to find what works for you. I’m feeling overwhelmed with my diabetes management (including the associated medical bills), life and dealing with a few deaths in the family. I work in a field where I recognize depression and refer others to places where they can get help. My issue is I haven’t been able to locate anyone who will take a more natural approach to dealing with depression. Once I vocalize that I am not looking for medication, they seem to write you off as if that is the only way. This adds to my feelings of being overwhelmed.

5. Been wondering
    Been wondering October 11, 2012 at 8:43 am | | Reply

I have been a person with diabetes (PWD seems awkward after the label for 49 years) in what seems like all my life because I do not remember a time I was not a diabetic. I grew up ostracized with classmates parents afraid to let their kids hold my hand for fear of getting diabetes from me. I was lonely in a small town but it did not get better when I went to college because I was afraid of the complications while the other kids I met with Type 1 were having a great time drinking and eating anything they wanted…. by age 30, 5 of those college classmates were deceased but at the time, I was jealous but too afraid to misbehave. I no longer fear the complications but I had made the decision young not to be a burden to someone else with my diabetes because I knew I was to my parents all the times I came back from crashing lows, not knowing where I was or how I got there. I regret the decision now because it is lonely – I think I placed more emphasis on the bad aspects of my disease than on the good aspects of me. However little comfort comes from hindsight. A diabetes vacation sounds interesting but how exactly would someone go about that who hasn’t seen the point of a vacation alone and too nervous since childhood to go anywhere with someone on a real travel vacation? I have been told I have helped lots of people ‘get a grip’ on their diabetes through my working with them but am not sure where to turn to get a grip for myself. I bottle things up really well and have for years so most people have no idea how lonely I am but then they don’t know how much they hurt me that way either. Yes I am on medication for depression, not sure it does enough but at least I go to work daily, don’t cry and can plaster the required ‘customer service smile’ on my face. Don’t suggest Facebook but where could I find someone to talk to anonymously about my insecurities until I could feel comfortable enough to show the scared little person inside that I am?

1. Susan Whittier
      Susan Whittier October 12, 2012 at 11:31 am | | Reply

This is to ‘Been Wondering’ —your statement about your college classmates being deceased so early in life is essentially the same one that made me decide to get the most out of life I could while I could – as a preteen I asked then was told I might live until I was 40 – everyone with diabetes at that point in history was dying around then. So My plan became to try just about everything and anything that came along – as long as it wasn’t an obvious life threat. Even at a time when glucose monitors didn’t exist, I just did my best to make the diabetes adjust it’s demands to my lifestyle. When my lovelife didn’t seem to include vacation offshore – I travelled alone – but with a world reknown resort group that would be able to not only supply all the food I’d need but the transportaion / sporting activities with trainers / medical help if required/ and of course all the wine interaction I wanted! It’s experiences like that that make you able to put up with the negative bumps in the road – because that’s what they become – bumps that are left behind. The next time you see a bump – you drive around it. If you don’t see it, you’ve already learned what to do after going over it – you’ve been there before and you move on. My brittle diabetes has made me always take the ‘prepare for the worst / expect the best’ approach to life. And as for depending on parents – as soon as I left home for university, I really never came back except to visit – Thanksgiving dinner was great!
      Actually I have at this late stage in life encountered a bump that is becoming a big hole. It is only associated with diabetes, because the medical community keeps misdiagnosing health concerns as ‘diabetic’ – and thus provides little / no/ or inappropriate treatment. The effect on the diabetes control is of course wild. And when I say things are not well, I get the response that it must be depression. One has to be very diplomatic with the medical community – it’s a small circle. Somehow when they hear my hoofbeats, no one see’s the Zebra without stripes – they only see horses.

6. Ginger Vieira
    Ginger Vieira October 16, 2012 at 8:07 am | | Reply

Great topic and great article, Mike. It is so so so hard for some folks to give themselves PERMISSION to take a day off! But we all need it.

7. Been wondering
    Been wondering October 18, 2012 at 7:12 am | | Reply

Susan,
    Thank you for your take on living with diabetes! I am sorry you are dealing with a Hole in the road! I know exactly what you mean because I am presently dealing with same situation where everything that is going wrong is due to my diabetes and I know it is not all diabetes – complicating factor, yes, but the problem NO. I can tell that you have have opportunities that small town living doesn’t offer from the world renowned trips you mentioned – trusting total strangers without a back-up recommendation isn’t easy. I love the analogy of zebra without stripes! It is ironic that the one thing most needed in the medical community is the importance of listening to the patient but time is THE valued commodity so listening disappears and cookie cutter philosophy takes over. PWD’s are not all alike but many times one size fits all is the approach used. You have diabetes so you must be depressed, your A1c is high so you must be having complications – What happened to “My blood sugars are high because something else is wrong but I don’t know what” answers? If someone knows the answer, please let me know too!

8. Judith Catterall
    Judith Catterall October 18, 2012 at 8:48 pm | | Reply

Such a great discussion. My A1c is great (4.9), but I feel like s*%t a lot of the time due to fibromyalgia since 1996 and arthritis in several joints. And now psoriasis, which is being increasingly linked to T2……Diabetes , T1 or T2, is like some kind of vacuum sweeper that sucks in any random other physical limitation floating around out there—EVEN with tight control. I call it a diabolical whimsey that f*&%ks with us whenever it can…..

9. Dr. Bhavesh
    Dr. Bhavesh October 24, 2012 at 8:38 am | | Reply

Alongwith regular medications, Diabetics should include regular use of herbs which are identified for anti-diabetic properties. “Indian Kino” is well appreciated herb in ancient texts of ayurveda for diabetes management. Indian Kino not only helps in reducing blood sugar but also helpful in delay the onset of complications of diabetes. Google “Indian Kino” for know more about this wonderful herb.