1. Lloyd M
    Lloyd M October 24, 2012 at 6:41 am | | Reply

I am a type 2, my total daily dose is about 75 units a day. The smaller ping cartridge would not be just an inconvenience, but an added expense of having to buy more cartridges. I would not consider buying any pump with less than a 300 u cartridge.

For many type 1′s, the cartridge size would not matter.

-Lloyd

1. Dee
      Dee December 11, 2012 at 11:43 am | | Reply

I like the idea of the meter being in color and working temp basals and basal rates from the meter.I don’t think I would benefit from the the bigger cartridge as I have the One Touch Ping and use only about 125 units every 8 days.

2. Lili
    Lili October 24, 2012 at 7:12 am | | Reply

Questions I have: does the Accuchek have a bolus calculator on the pump? (Their previous model did not – and I’m sure none of us has ever misplaced anything) and what are the bolus and basal increments?

3. Judi
    Judi October 24, 2012 at 8:59 am | | Reply

Do you know if the AccuCheck meter lets you set a temporary basal rate? The remote for the Ping does not and you must do it on the pump itself.

1. Claire Blum
      Claire Blum October 26, 2012 at 6:29 am | | Reply

YES… indeed you can program temporary basal rates from the Accu-Chek Combo… and from what I am told, you can program ALL pump functions from the remote meter… which is indeed an important distinction between the Accu-Chek Combo and the PING. For these and visibility reasons I was ready to make the Accu-Chek Combo my next pump of choice… until realizing that the pump is only able to deliver basal in increments of 0.05 units rather than the 0.025 units that is available on other pumps… which is a very important function for me!

4. David
    David October 24, 2012 at 9:47 am | | Reply

@Judi, yes the meter-remote can set temp basals.

I am always happy to see more options in the pump market. The Accu-Chek Combo offers a more efficient button-pressing alternative to the Ping. In my case, I love the Accu-Chek in regard to combo bolusing. It remembers the last used split and duration so it is possible to set a combo bolus within 6 button presses (and never more than 10 presses vs Ping 16).

5. Rob Muller (@RotoTok)
    Rob Muller (@RotoTok) October 24, 2012 at 9:54 am | | Reply

Hello all, it’s Rob from Accu-Chek Diabetes Care.

Judi – Yes! You can use the meter to set a temporary basal rate.

Lili – the link Amy provided has the increment unit info under “Specifications.” Here is the answer from the website:

Basal Rate: Min. = 0.05 U/h, Max. = 50 U/h. There are 24 hourly basal rates, adjustable in unit increments of 0.01 (up to 1.00 U/h), 0.05 (up to 10.0 U/h) and 0.1 (up to 50.0 U/h).

I hope that helps. :)

6. Bernard Farrell
    Bernard Farrell October 24, 2012 at 11:19 am | | Reply

Mike wouldn’t the Omni Pod be classified as a discreet system by your definition?

Thanks for this very useful comparison between the two pumps.

7. Tom Clark
    Tom Clark October 24, 2012 at 6:45 pm | | Reply

I would like to know how the AccuChek Combo computes insulin on board and how that computation differs from the Ping.

8. Connected Insulin Pumps: Accu-Chek Combo vs. Animas Ping « DiabetesNews

[...] Mike Lawson reports on the similarities and differences of “next-gen” insulin pumps systems. Read more var dd_offset_from_content = 45; var dd_top_offset_from_content = 0; Category : Featured, [...]

9. Stephanie Skaggs
    Stephanie Skaggs October 25, 2012 at 11:49 am | | Reply

Did you know that you dont have to stay in range of the 6.5 ft for ACCU-CHEK Combo? Unlike Ping once you push the delivery button on the remote the full bolus will then deliver regardless of being in range. That is the beauty of blue tooth technology. For that parent, once they select deliver the child can run outdoors and play and will still get the bolus.

10. diabetic survival kit
    diabetic survival kit October 30, 2012 at 2:45 am | | Reply

Interesting to have more options. The insulin delivery is much more accurate than the meter that measures the sugars. I am in favor of more accurate meters than pretty designs if there has to be a choice.

11. David Worthington
    David Worthington November 8, 2012 at 11:57 pm | | Reply

For those concerned with the expense of disposables such as the cartridge and infusion set, I discovered that my PING cartridge can be refilled (using the handle and needle that comes with it) almost as often as you want. Same with the tubing set, though that doesn’t last as long as the cartridge. As for the infusion set, if you don’t use your pump for bolus injections, which you can give with an insulin pen, and just use it for basal insulin, which is the one function pumps do better than the alternative, the infusion set will last up to a month, possibly more.

Same for the Dexcom sensor. If you restart it after the 7 days are up, you can get at least another 7 days out of it, and between 2 and 5 days beyond that, depending on factors such as site and perhaps being bumped, etc.

12. Sonja
    Sonja November 15, 2012 at 9:28 am | | Reply

This seems like a great upgrade. More accurate reading are always helpful.

13. g b evans
    g b evans December 30, 2012 at 10:53 am | | Reply

Roche supply infusion sets with and without the connecting tubing, and recommend that you change the infusion set every three days. The first time you can use one with tubing and then after three days change the set and hook up to the new cannulla with the tubing still connected to the pump. Users who require less than 150 mls of insulin every 3 days only need to change the cartridge every 6 days. That is an advantage, it saves a lot of throw away plastic, and some time.

14. g b evans
    g b evans December 30, 2012 at 10:55 am | | Reply

The biggest disappointment for me with the Combo system is it will not let you know how much Active Insulin you have on board.

15. David Worthington
    David Worthington December 30, 2012 at 8:21 pm | | Reply

While it’s handy to have the pump estimate insulin on board, you can get an estimate from smartphone apps like the Insulin-On-Board (IOB) Calculator by Pancreum: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/insulin-on-board-iob-calculator/id405881806?mt=8

16. Scott
    Scott January 8, 2013 at 7:12 pm | | Reply

I’m interested in the water-proof comparison. i have booked a Western Caribbean cruise for 2014 and am looking into ways to enjoy all the in-water activities without concerns for my pump, currently a Spirit, but not the new combo. I have always disconnected to enjoy the water in the past but would prefer to stay connected.

17. Dima
    Dima January 11, 2013 at 2:15 pm | | Reply

g b evans, you are not right, i connected my kid to accu-check combo system before one week – and this is indeed possible to see IOB with this system. When you enter the “Bolus Advice” sub-menu , in the left upper corner you can see the active insulin in the body

Regards

18. john
    john August 2, 2013 at 10:06 am | | Reply

It seems that active insulin only measures any correction dose, not meal boluses. I will check the detailed calculation in the manual, but this is explained here:

I have use a combo for 6 weeks or so now, but would prefer if is showed both the active correction (what it seems to show in “active insulin”) and “total insulin on board” as well, for clarity.

Thanks John.

19. John
    John February 1, 2014 at 1:57 pm | | Reply

Another device. Just what the doctor ordered. Who cares! How about Omnipod have software that supports Mac users. That would worth writing about.

With all the google alerts for T 1 breakthroughs that I receive on a daily basis, we need to celebrate another contraption.

Honestly, who cares. All the pumps are bulky, ugly and inconvenient. There are cooler looking calculators sold at Walgreens.

How about an article asking Omnipod why they only support Windows.

20. Damon
    Damon February 14, 2014 at 10:26 am | | Reply

If you are going to post a comparison, PLEASE MAKE SURE THAT YOU HAVE ACCURATE INFORMATION FIRST. People read these and assume they are correct, and these articles can make a difference in the pump someone chooses. Let me tell you, once you initiate a bolus with the ACCU-CHEK Combo meter, IT WILL DELIVER IF THE CHILD RUNS DOWN THE STREET TO THEIR FRIENDS HOUSE. The connection is via bluetooth. Completely different from the IR connection via the Animas. So the distance to communicate is really irrelavant. Also, I have heard many people say that there are many interferences with the IR connection used by Animas.

Your comment on accuracy couldn’t be more false, and frankly, irresponsible. Please perform a web search and tell me the ACCURACY of the ACCU-CHEK meters is sub-par. It just isnt true. ACCU-CHEK manufactures thier strips in the USA to standards FAR ABOVE what the FDA uses right now.

Roche had a pump before the Combo, so the insurance topic you mentioned is also false. And I challenge you to ask someone that has switched from the Animas to the Combo to tell you it hasn’t made their lives easier.

It is appreciated that you have attempted to help people in their choice of pump, but if you decide to write about a topic such as this, MAKE CERTAIN THAT YOU ARE ACCURATE. You could actually make it worse on somebody that chose a pump partially based on this information