1. The sarcastic medved type2
    The sarcastic medved type2 October 25, 2012 at 5:15 am | | Reply

All charities are crooks. Anybody who donates is a maroon.

1. Alecia
      Alecia October 25, 2012 at 11:27 am | | Reply

In response to “sarcastic medved”. Maroon you say? A reddish purple? Seems kinda racist, no?

At least call them macaroons if you’re going to screw-up spelling! Sorry, but I simply couldn’t resist.

2. Fred Wuensche
    Fred Wuensche October 25, 2012 at 6:32 am | | Reply

No matter what Mission and Vision statements say, or PR hoopla about how noble they are,

The number 1 priority of all large organizations is to perpetuate themselves.

3. StephenS
    StephenS October 25, 2012 at 8:26 am | | Reply

Mike, I would be interested in knowing how many volunteers were really recruited by InfoCision, since they probably don’t get any profit from that.

I am surprised that ADA is having difficulty connecting with parties that clearly feel duped by this practice. Especially since I already get at least a couple of e-mails per week from them. I suspect they have a decent marketing/PR staff on their own. How to translate that to fundraising, however, can sometimes be difficult. I think the best first move would be to terminate their relationship with InfoCision.

Thanks

4. Jenna Holt
    Jenna Holt October 25, 2012 at 8:34 am | | Reply

In response to the “sarcastic medved”, I just want to let you know that not all charities are crooks. I happen to work for a charity whose sole purpose is to help provide programming and support for children and teens with Type 1 diabetes. We work very hard to raise money year round so that every child can have the opportunity to experience camp-learning, fun, and the realization that they aren’t alone. I am the only full time paid staff and spend a good amount of my non-profit salary giving back to the organization–supplies here, donations there. Opinions 101-using all, every, none. Clearly, you are expressing your opinion; however, many of us who do good work for the sole purpose of watching these kids learn and grow into young adults equipped with the tools to live a healthy life would appreciate if you could keep your “opinion” to yourself.

5. Kathy
    Kathy October 25, 2012 at 11:19 am | | Reply

I worked at both the ADA and the JDRF as an intern years ago. JDRF does more with the money, but there was something to be said for the literature provided to newly-dx’d PWDs by the ADA. I now donate to local animal shelters rather than any large nonprofits as I have seen firsthand how badly they are needed. Charity Navigator and GuideStar are two highly reliable organizations that track charities’ use of donations – they’re daily tools for those working in the nonprofit world.

6. Scott Strange
    Scott Strange October 25, 2012 at 11:19 am | | Reply

It seems that the “brand” has taken the place of the supposed “mission” of the ADA

7. AmyT
    AmyT October 25, 2012 at 12:15 pm | | Reply

@Jenna – of course you are right that MANY great people work and volunteer for these charitable organizations.

I think what we are saying here is that their leadership owes it to people like you to do a better job of vetting their partners, and also owning up to — and fixing — any missteps the organization might make.

8. Tom
    Tom October 26, 2012 at 12:28 am | | Reply

I’m writing from Australia. I looked up the addresses for every Director of the Board for ADA (there were over 25 of them!). I mailed each of them a 2-page letter (two of them were sent emailed versions instead) expressing disappointment as a parent of a diabetic that they squandered such valuable donations, and I asked for their own views on this corporate bungle. That was 4 weeks ago. How many replies did I get? Zero (no: one did came back — “addressee unknown” — from UCSD). I can only take it as an act of arrogance that no one saw fit to reply to a diabetes stakeholder. ADA only donates less than 5% of donations from fundraising events for actual cure research, though they use the CURE as the main hook to raise money from across the country. They seem to be a giant stuffed shirt, a massive imposter. JDRF is much more responsible with their funds and dedicated to helping find a cure, or as we would say down under: ADA isn’t “fair dinkum.”.

9. marge stromberg
    marge stromberg October 26, 2012 at 6:10 am | | Reply

Contributions to missions and to causes that we respect has always been a part of our household budget. As a type 1D I gave to ADA since it was the main group making themselves known. But in recent years their telemarketing and mail campaigns have become offensive. I don’t answer their phone calls and the letters go in the trash. It seemed an overkill and misuse of resources. I tried explaining that I gave as I was able, but that is never enough. As a result I don’t give at all to ADA at present.

10. Bernard Farrell
    Bernard Farrell October 26, 2012 at 12:32 pm | | Reply

I’ve always hated these types of programs. When someone sends you a letter it implies they have some connection to the charity and often makes folks feel obligated to donate. I think this type of fund raising is devious and do not donate when I receive this type of request.

For shame on ADA that they don’t drop this organization like a hot potato. So much for “great leadership”.

11. Amy Hopkins
    Amy Hopkins October 28, 2012 at 9:46 pm | | Reply

Thank you so much for the information regarding ADA. I have had some suspicions about the organization over the last year as I read information about their recommendations for diet and exercise. However, my doctor continues to poo-poo these suspicions. Several months ago I found some information about Dr, Bernstein on this site, got his book from the library and found it provided a lot of food for thought (shouldn’t have used “food” there). Now, I’m searching for other information to increase my knowledge level beyond the ADA recommendations. I am a retired RN, educated in ADA, of course because they were the main provider of information for my generation. I am 80 yrs. old, a pre-diabetic for 1 1/2 yrs. and totally unable to get my A1c below 6 (which my doctor thinks is wonderful). I don’t think it’s so wonderful but have to admit that at least it hasn’t risen. Are there any other sites that discuss current procedural changes differing with the ADA protocols?