1. Bernard Farrell
    Bernard Farrell October 9, 2012 at 10:09 am | | Reply

I watched a stage production of this play long before the first movie came out. I remember being in the audience and watching the low scene in the beauty parlor. At that stage we didn’t know the character had diabetes, but I wanted to yell out “She’s having a low, give her some sugar”. At a later scene I was crying gently when I realized people all around me were doing the same.

As a stage show it was an excellent production as movies I’m happy not to see either having watched the first one once.

2. Amanda
    Amanda October 9, 2012 at 10:40 am | | Reply

Good review, I didn’t get to see it, as I don’t have traditional TV in my home, have to wait for Netflix to have it. Ironically enough, I used to LOVE Steel Magnolia’s, it was one of my mom’s favorites and then mine too. One of those movies that stop and watch on a weekend afternoon when you’re lucky enough to have the remote. Dirty Dancing, Steel Magnolias, and Fried Green Tomatoes-those are my movies. I watched Steel Magnolias the weekend before my then 5 yo daughter was dx’d. That next hellish weekend when we got her diagnosis and were flown to Phoenix to be put in ICU in the Children’s Hospital, all I cold was cry and think of stupid Steel Magnolias. I was alone, my daughter nearly comatose, my husband, kids, and family over 200 miles away and all I could do was think of that movie (I knew nothing of T1D then) almost 3 years has passed and I have not watched SM since. Cannot bring myself to watch it and I don’t think at this point, I’d like my 8yo T1 to see her disease portrayed that way. Anyways, again, thanks for this post, I was curious to see how the SM 2.0 remake would be.

3. Teresa Hart
    Teresa Hart October 9, 2012 at 12:22 pm | | Reply

I didn’t get an opportunity to watch the remake, but I love the original Steel Magnolias. Although there isn’t much reference to living with diabetes daily, but in a way I kind of think it’s better that way because many people who don’t know anything about diabetes will think they know so much about it because they “saw it in a movie”. I think if a person is really interested in finding out about diabetes then they should go to lagitimate resources. Besides, I always find the salon scene hysterical…I laugh out loud watching Shelby shake in the chair even though she is awake, and her mother grabbing her face yelling “drink the juice shelby, drink the juice”…I have been t1 diabetic for 25 years, and nothing has made me laugh and cry about diabetes like Steel Magnolias does every time.

4. Sara Clark
    Sara Clark October 9, 2012 at 7:54 pm | | Reply

Steel Magnolias has always been a favorite (before I was diagnosed and after) even though I didn’t realize that Shelby had diabetes until years later because they glaze over it in the first one so and only say the word maybe once. I was glad to see that change in this one. The diabetes is more in the forefront than in the original

As for the movie it’s self… it was just as much a tear jerker as the original and the women did a great job but the script I thought left out the meat of the peripheral characters that made it so funny. In the original you actually see more of them and less of Shelby. In this one you see more of Shelby and less of the other characters.

I will say, I wish I looked as good as Shelby when my alter ego makes a dreaded appearance and I am sweating profusely and as confused as a siamese chicken.

All-in-all I still love me some Magnolias! Steel, black or white!

5. Kassie
    Kassie October 10, 2012 at 1:51 pm | | Reply

Bummed to hear that adoption was portrayed that way – I can think of three moms with diabetes who’ve adopted just off the top of my head! I remember thinking the same thing, though, and wish I’d know that diabetes doesn’t automatically disqualify you.

6. Taunya English
    Taunya English October 11, 2012 at 10:42 am | | Reply

Hi, I’m a health reporter covering this topic for public radio … I’d love to interview you about your thoughts on the movie. Are you available today — Oct 11 or Fri the 12th for a short conversation.

7. ESL online JOBS