1. NewsFlash: Medtronic & Bayer Unveil More Accurate, USB Link Meter

[...] glucometer? A) It’s a brand new meter called the Contour Next Link, co-developed by… DiabetesMine: the all things diabetes blog Filed in: Diabetes Tags: Accurate Bayer Link Medtronic Meter More NewsFlash Unveil [...]

2. Scott S
    Scott S September 5, 2012 at 9:25 am | | Reply

Interesting, because Bayer is rumored to be speaking with Wall Street investment banks to sell it’s diabetes meter and testing supplies business (see “Germany’s Bayer considers diabetes device unit sale: report”, Source: Reuters, May 9, 2012, http://reut.rs/TXohRo for details). While Bayer’s Contour USB meter, upon which this is based was a competent meter, Bayer has struggled (much like Abbott and Sanofi also struggle) to get the product covered by major insurance company formularies.

The chatter on Cafe Pharma, an industry message board noted they would not be surprised in Medtronic is among the list of potential buyers for that business (see http://goo.gl/KUM9q to read the postings), although presently, no moves have been formally announced. The price tag is likely to be in the billions, and it’s unclear how much appetite Medtronic has for acquisitions of this sort at the moment, but it does raise interesting possibilities should something like that happen!

3. Jennifer Beneke
    Jennifer Beneke September 5, 2012 at 9:28 am | | Reply

I’m SO EXCITED about this meter. I’ve had a pump for many years but never used the linking meter because I hated it’s giant size. I was much happier with the Freestyle LIte with it’s small design and no coding strips. I can’t wait to try out this new meter. It will be so handy to have it wirelessly communicate with my pump.

4. Donna Kehoe
    Donna Kehoe September 5, 2012 at 9:32 am | | Reply

Received delivery of my upgraded Revel yesterday and upon reading of this new meter contacted Medtronic. They have agreed to provide me with this new meter in lieu of the Contour meter shipped with the pump. I apparently was one of the few people who were shipped pumps prior to this new meter being offered. Hoping my insurance carrier will cover the new strips without extra cost or tiering.

5. Nina
    Nina September 5, 2012 at 11:03 am | | Reply

I am excited about this idea. Although I doubt that my insurance will ever pay for these strips. Sigh.

I also wish they hadn’t made it grey colored. Black was so much sleeker and grey gets so old.

Also will medtronic ever have a remote meter? I was hoping their next one would be.

6. Nice Diabetes
    Nice Diabetes September 5, 2012 at 2:35 pm | | Reply

Does this mean that current users of the “less accurate” Bayer Contour get an upgrade?

7. Doug
    Doug September 6, 2012 at 6:29 am | | Reply

I’m not a Medtronic fan. But I’m thrilled to see that generally the market is coming out with smaller, more accurate, meters that transmit to pumps AND whos strips are less expensive. Finally one that connects easily for download to PC. That checks ALL the boxes in my meter selection criteria … 2 thumbs up. I hope its successful and others follow the lead

8. Preston Humes
    Preston Humes September 7, 2012 at 8:27 am | | Reply

Thanks for sharing, this is a fantastic blog post.Thanks Again. Great.

1. Troy Leonard
      Troy Leonard January 16, 2013 at 9:47 am | | Reply

You and me both. I’ve had 3 replacement Medtronic pumps in 4 years. They break constantly

9. Alondra Burdine
    Alondra Burdine September 7, 2012 at 6:00 pm | | Reply

Say, you got a nice blog.Really looking forward to read more. Cool.

10. tim
    tim September 26, 2012 at 3:17 pm | | Reply

Go to Contourchoice.com for a co-pay card to reduce the cost of your strips

11. Wordless Wednesday: It’s not you (CGM), it’s me(ter) « Rolling in the D

[...] I must say, since switching to the Bayer Contour Link meter, which is reported to be more accurate, my fingersticks and CGM’s have been noticeably MUCH closer to one [...]

12. Maja
    Maja November 29, 2012 at 11:59 pm | | Reply

Can this meter read blood sugar in moll/l??? Thx

13. seo vps
    seo vps February 21, 2013 at 10:25 am | | Reply

Some software to help you market your website! http://tiny.cc/zsbvsw

14. Conrad
    Conrad March 17, 2013 at 7:41 am | | Reply

On a cold winter morning, nothing like ginger tea to kick start your
    day. Depending on the cook, a cook will use them interchangeably, swapping
    one for the other when the fresh or dried isn’t available. Ginger extract was shown to lower cholesterol and LDL oxidized in rats in a study by Bianca Furman.

15. Tenille
    Tenille March 26, 2013 at 12:09 pm | | Reply

Does the Contour Next Link Meter automatically calibrate the Minimed CGM sensor? I have been looking all over the internet, called Medtronic, called Bayer, and nobody can tell me. Obviously, I want to avoid calibration errors, and if the meter is automatically calibrating when I’m not ready to, it will be a problem. Anyone?

16. hulp advies bloedglucosemeter svp | diabetesforum.be

[...] heb een NewsFlash: Medtronic & Bayer Unveil More Accurate, USB Link Meter : DiabetesMine: the all things… nu. Ik heb een prikker die meerdere naaldjes bevat en die gebruik ik een ongeveer een week ( ik [...]