1. Mary Dexter
    Mary Dexter September 26, 2012 at 5:13 am | | Reply

When I’m on the road, I stop at McDonalds because the carb count is on the packaging and the portions are controlled. I don’t have to squint at the tiny print over my head or ask for the microscopically nutrition booklet that they are invariably out of and I know that whatever the carb count was in one state will be the same in the next. When everything else in my life is unpredictable, I can count on McD.
    Also, Walmart and McDonalds are affordable and available to people of all economic classes.

1. Tim
      Tim September 26, 2012 at 1:14 pm | | Reply

Ummm..how ’bout Subway? Going to McDs because you know what you’re going to get is like going back to an abusive spouse because you know what to expect!

1. Mary Dexter
        Mary Dexter September 26, 2012 at 2:28 pm | | Reply

Because McD’s is ubiquitous. Seriously, why is it ok to bash McD and Walmart, but Target and Subway are “holy?” Not everything at Subway is healthy, they sometimes offer only the calorie, fat and sugar counts not the carbs [which tells me nothing as far as how much to tell the Bolus Wizard], they are usually out of the nutrition guidelines and when they aren’t, I need a magnifying glass to find the carbs. Choice. Availability. And I usually order a salad and an unsweetened ice tea or [horrors] a small diet soda. It’s cheap and I’m not rich. And for a few moments, I can be as I was before. And two hours later, while driving in the dark alone, I know my bg is probably going to be where it should be.
        Seriously, if you want to find villains, look for the ones denying insulin and pumps and test strips to diabetics who don’t produce enough insulin on their own.

1. Tim
          Tim September 26, 2012 at 5:35 pm |

Subways are just as ubiquitous and that pamphlet of theirs has serving size, calories, calories from fat, Total fat, saturated fat, TRANS fat, sodium, carbs, dietary fiber, sugars, protein and a few about Vitamin A & C that I just don’t need.

2. Khürt Williams
        Khürt Williams September 27, 2012 at 3:32 am | | Reply

The thought of eating as a McD makes me want to throw up. I don’t think I could ever put that “food product” into my body. I agree, Subway is much healthier in comparison and just a accessible.

2. Brian (aka bsc)
    Brian (aka bsc) September 26, 2012 at 6:53 am | | Reply

It was really great meeting you at this conference. I hope to post some notes shortly (and maybe a picture of you from the panel). Thanks for your consistent reminders that it is really all about the patient. I was also heartened to feel like the healthcare profession no longer considers the social media, blogs and support netorks only good for “coping” and filled with dangerous information. I repeatedly heard feedback that people were going to incorporate recommendations that patients connect through social into the information they give to patients.

You are always upbeat about things. I continue to wish for more. I want more from the FDA (like more accurate glucose meters) and I think the DPP needs help. But it is progress. Thanks for your efforts.

3. TC
    TC September 26, 2012 at 9:02 pm | | Reply

I heard about this convention, I hope there will be more breakthroughs in the future regarding diabetes.

This is a real epidemic we are facing and more people have to check themselves and look for signs before they become diabetics.

Wish you best of luck.

4. Lee
    Lee September 28, 2012 at 6:16 am | | Reply

I don’t believe for one second that the US ranks 37th in the world for healthcare. Consider the source – The World Health Organization. “The WHO healthcare ranking system does not escape political bias. It advances ideological assumptions that most Americans might find questionable under the guise of objectivity.”