1. Bennet
    Bennet September 18, 2012 at 6:27 am | | Reply

Good piece Will. I like the quote 95%/5% and I like the calling out of T2D.

I wonder how well the practices translate to people who are not Type A athletes. Are the as motivational for other personality types? That said YDMV and the idea is to find a variety of different motivations if one size doesn’t fit all.

2. Mary Dexter
    Mary Dexter September 18, 2012 at 7:59 am | | Reply

Excellent job, Wil. I agree, he does seem uninformed about the myriad kinds of diabetics lumped under the designation Type 2. However, it is a huge population that could be helped tremendously if they were given the tools and information to achieve more normal blood glucose levels rather than being told they don’t need to test, everything is fine. Until they pass out. If they do get a high number, they don’t have any options except wait it out and hope it goes down.

20 times a day? I thought I tested a lot (LADAs do). I assume he’s not a pumper but on MDI? So part of the reason he can believe in tight control is that parts of his life are predictable. Not all of our lives are.

3. Vijayraj Reddy
    Vijayraj Reddy September 18, 2012 at 11:18 am | | Reply

Hi WilD,

Andy Suhy is doing a great service to the world. A great fighter and a great source of inspiration to all the diabetics. He is trying to prove that they need not panic and can lead lives to the fullest like normal people.

A great post

Thanks and Regards,
    Vijay

4. Doug
    Doug September 18, 2012 at 11:39 am | | Reply

Give him credit for being confident….

I agree with much of what he says – just dont like the over the top delivery

I find it ironic that he is unwilling to embrace some of the best options for treatment because he doesn’t want “something attached to him,”
    Many of the things described here have the hallmarks of a narcissist. The extreme confidence, the over priced ebook, the unwillingness to embrace the BEST treatments because he doesn’t want something attached.
    the ides that he will be ” Type1Rules will be “the #1 brand in independent diabetes management.”” is pretty impressive since he has no medical training or experience.

But the over the top declarations make sense for some one that likely makes a significant part of his living from public speaking engagements. He does what he can to get attention and bookings.

5. mcityrk
    mcityrk September 18, 2012 at 7:20 pm | | Reply

While one can congradulate Andy on the success in preventing the onset of complications in his own life, the assumption that everyone else doing just like him will eradicate the onset of their problems due to the disease would not stand up to rigouros study. Generallizing a single result to cover an entire population is always problematic as there is a wide distribution of possible responses to the same treatment [and he clearly has had a best case response]. Additionally, most would not have the discipline or resources to handle his treatment protocols.

Anecdotally, I can think of any number of people with the disease who were similarly aggressive in diet and glucose testing and had incrdible problems with complications before they were 40 and I only know a small subset of diabetic patients.

Of course the message that one can take charge in managing the disease is very useful, particularly for newly diagnosed patients, but in this age should be info that is not that hard to obtain.

Finally, the price point for his book and the fact that his proposed service makes many claims yet to be fleshed out raises a cautionary flag. However, this is one instance where I would love my skepticism to be proved wrong!!

6. Anita Rein
    Anita Rein April 22, 2013 at 6:26 am | | Reply

I really don’t see anything wrong with Andy’s info on type 2 diabetes. He writes specifically to reach type 1 diabetics . The difference between the two seems to be less and less apparent in the media and even in support groups. Type 1 is an entirely different disease And very misunderstood. Andy attempts to inspire children and families dealing with type 1. Issues of type 1 are some that a thpe 2 could never understand . I am type 1 and personally get tired of the question ” but you are so thin?” after I tell someone I have diabetes . This may attest to the misconception that type 2 ‘s are all overweight but that is not Andy’s fault or responsibility . He isn’t trying to dispell the misconceptions for type 2′s because his mission is for type 1′s.

7. Mario
    Mario October 25, 2014 at 3:33 pm | | Reply

With all due respect, Andy NEVER played a single regular season game with the Red Wings. He never played a single regular season game in the American league. He was drafted in round 8, he DID play in the East Coast Hockey league, However that is very far from Playing for the Wings. I can’t stand embellishment, just tell the truth and your message will resonate much better.