1. Mary Dexter
    Mary Dexter September 27, 2012 at 5:12 am | | Reply

Good luck to Tom at the Summit. I was wondering which CGM he has. My Medtronic CGM’s tones for rising and falling rates are rising and falling pitches, which my husband recognizes from across a room. However, I think the rates sound the same as the respective predictive alarms.

2. Scott S
    Scott S September 27, 2012 at 10:12 am | | Reply

This is a very important development, especially since Johnson & Johnson, Roche, Abbott have all failed to address a critical patient need for the blind. I’m pleased to see ProdigyVoice has been commercialized because this market deserves products and the big players have basically ignored the space. But more telling, I think, is Tom’s discussion about capabilities that are designed in products like iOS from the beginning; it would be a step forward if all companies did the same.

3. AmyT
    AmyT September 27, 2012 at 10:49 am | | Reply

I was actually happy for the tip about iPhone Accessibility features — now I can read texts without having to drag out my “old lady” reading glasses :)

4. Kathy
    Kathy September 28, 2012 at 6:15 am | | Reply

From a diabetic consumers viewpoint I truly hope that technology will soon catch up so that blind pwd and low vision pwd can have the same chance that the rest of us with diabetes are offered. I have a pump and sometimes I grumble about the different things I have to do as a pwd. Thank you for this interview that definitely taught me not to complain.

5. DougT
    DougT October 24, 2013 at 2:17 pm | | Reply

There is an excellent tool for blind/low vision diabetics to help them find the blood drop. It’s called Viadrop and the web site is http://www.viadrop@weebly.com

Hope this helps!
    D.T.

1. DougT
      DougT October 24, 2013 at 2:20 pm | | Reply

correction: the web site address is

D.T.

6. Julie Graham
    Julie Graham April 28, 2014 at 2:45 pm | | Reply

this is a 2012 post. It’s now 2014 and I haven’t seen much improvement. Roche do have a new pump out this year called Insight, which has a system for filling the pump or there is the new novo rapid cartridges much like the ones for the pens which just pop in. I’m happy to say my doctors and nurses now don’t have an excuse to tell me no to a pump. I’ve had to fight! they finally let me do the DAFNE course and I’m happy to say that the DAFNE APP is very accessible on my iphone. I love it!

Just started using the accu check mobile which has an audible beep, for such a big machine you’d think they could fight in speech. I’m also using a talking machine from UK called super check 2. I’ve heard of another BG machine which works with iphone called MyDario but can’t get much info on it?? anyone any idea?