1. CALL FOR INPUT: Glucose Monitoring Experiences of Type 2s

[...] for some reason — we need your help. I have been asked to compile an article for the… DiabetesMine: the all things diabetes blog Filed in: Diabetes Tags: CALL Experiences glucose INPUT Monitoring type [...]

2. tmana
    tmana September 4, 2012 at 4:44 pm | | Reply

Many people with type 2 diabetes do not get ANY education on how to manage their condition, just “take these pills and see me in six months”. It’s often up to us to find these people, take them by the hand, and show them what is available to help them.

3. Joe
    Joe September 5, 2012 at 4:46 am | | Reply

In response to tmana, I have to say I agree with her. When I was first put on insulin, I was given NO instructions on how to inject, and this was at a Endo’s office. Thankfully I was taking a medical assisting course and already knew how to inject.

4. Diana Lee
    Diana Lee September 5, 2012 at 6:25 am | | Reply

I definitely had to teach myself almost everything. I remember spending weeks struggling to get enough blood to test and poking myself so many times I was in tears from frustration. All that on top of the emotional adjustment of the diagnosis itself was too much.

5. Vicki Kron
    Vicki Kron September 7, 2012 at 7:47 am | | Reply

The education for diabetes patients is abysmal. No doctor has ever told me anything about the meter, how to use it to learn what to eat and what to avoid. I’ve never been told by any doctor or nurse when to test, how to test (they don’t know themselves) or even why this can help me to manage and control my diabetes.

The doctors should tell patients that THE PATIENTS are responsible for monitoring and controlling their diabetes, and the doctor will assist my giving the meds when necessary.

None of this is ever discussed in doctor’s offices.

6. Stuart
    Stuart September 7, 2012 at 12:56 pm | | Reply

I am testing three times a day. Fasting, before lunch or dinner and before bed. My A1C is currently 5.8. My doctor is pushing me to test only once a day on a rotating schedule. If this were to happen then my A1C would be much higher because it would take a very long time to figure out what a new food did to my blood sugar. Not a good thing in my book.

7. Paula
    Paula September 7, 2012 at 1:58 pm | | Reply

My doctor told me very little about anything – and he is also Type 2. I got involved with a diabetes education program that has been a lifesaver. Anytime I hear someone talk about having Type 2, it is always the same story – they cut back on dessert, don’t monitor, that is it. It kills me – I am reading and learning all I can, and others blindly trust the doctor. I am trying to put good information into as many hands as possible – thanks for this blog!!

8. Cheryl
    Cheryl September 8, 2012 at 8:57 am | | Reply

I found out before a surgery that I was diabetic! So at age 49, had a hysterectomy, in the hospital for a week, was struggling from the surgery getting injections for diabetes and hospital did not know what to feed me so I went home not knowing what to eat, what my sugar numbers meant, if I could or should eat certain things, picked up a monitor and strips at the pharmacy on the way home from discharge and they not having a certain med I needed so supplemented and I don’t know even to this day if it was a percription as I use wal-marts brand now. I was put on metformin 2 times a day, unsure when to test, so went by what I thought they did in the hospital so tested 7 times a day to learn at my 2 month check up I was only suppose to check 4 times a day. So, went home with stitches, so no exercise was allowed, not knowing how to eat so tried to go off what the hospital gave me to realize it was not a diabetic meal plan. Then my life saver came through being allowed to go to our Wellness Center where there is where I learned through 6 different classes how to deal with diabetes 4 months later after fighting it myself. My dietitian was the best, and she always checked my numbers and recorded all I told her…thank you Carisa.

9. Kevin L McMahon
    Kevin L McMahon September 10, 2012 at 7:07 am | | Reply

There is a lot of solid and relevant data around these questions tabulated from the adult type 2 diabetes RCT that I conducted for the State of Texas HHSC for its Medicaid members. The final report to the State can be downloaded at http://type1techventures.com/clinical-trials. A formal manuscript is under development and it addresses many of the issues raised in this post. Good luck.

10. My Diabetic Heart » Blog Archive » Got Type 2? Take the survey.

[...] you have type 2 diabetes, kindly visit the CALL FOR INPUT: Glucose Monitoring Experiences of Type 2s page over at the Diabetes Mine and take the survey.  It’ll only take a few minutes and [...]

11. Lauren
    Lauren October 27, 2012 at 5:40 pm | | Reply

My grandfather who has diabetes is testing at least 3 times a day and doing any less I think would be bad for him.