1. Nathan
    Nathan September 15, 2012 at 6:12 am | | Reply

The ice cream info is solid. I love ice cream and as a T1 I have tried all the reduced sugar ones. If anything, they just raise blood sugar less predictably, like in the middle of the night. Normal ice cream has a drawn out effect due to the high fat content, so for me they were about the same in that regard. Sugar alcohols are weird things.

My chiro asked if my BG control had improved after I had been treated for back pain and I said no. He said some people had discovered improved control with treatments for 3 months. That comes out to about $1200 of treatment (at the rate I was paying). No thanks, there’s reputable treatments for diabetes that actually have tried and true results. There were charts on the walls all over the office touting all the things that could be cured by adjustments including allergies, and asthma.

2. Tim
    Tim September 16, 2012 at 1:07 pm | | Reply

Chiropractors who make these grandiose claims are right about one of them: it can cure you of excess cash syndrome.

3. CJ
    CJ September 21, 2012 at 11:43 am | | Reply

One year ago I was diagnosed with LADA after a preganancy, so I am still producing low levels of insulin and controlling my blood sugar with diet (for now). There is a HUGE difference between how sugar alcohols and sugar affect my blood sugar. If I use xylitol or erythritol as a swettener I see no impact to my blood sugar; whereas sugar, corn syrup, honey, and even agave will result in a spike. Also, my endo told me they have minor impacts on blood sugar. Furthermore, to your claim that sugar alcohols are a “chemical”, not all are created equal. Xylitol comes from birch trees and is sold at many natural foods markets that have standards for not purchasing processed foods. It needs to be extracted from the birch trees the same way sugar needs to be extracted from sugar cane and refined. I frankly don’t see the difference and haven’t seen any literature documenting its adverse health effects. It has also been proven to prevent tooth decay. There are some people who have GI issues when consumed in large quantities, but I have never experienced this nor do I consume them in large quantities.

Perhaps once I go one insulin, it won’t matter if I eat sugar or a sugar alcohol since I can just dose appropriatly, but aren’t there advantages to using less insulin? Seems like sugar alcohols are good alternative to use for those that are not on insulin yet. What are others experience with sugar alcohols versus sugar?

4. Linda Lou Turner-Palmer
    Linda Lou Turner-Palmer September 21, 2012 at 11:09 pm | | Reply

For what it’s worth (apparently not much), I’ve had diabetes for 20 years and have had neuropathy for about 10 years. I went the gammit in “mainstream” medicine – took every pain med known to man, tried physical therapy, but nothing helped my neuropathy. Out of pure desperation I sought Chiropractic treatment at a Wellness group. At first, I went 3x a week for intense therapy which included Russian e-stim and manipulation. This continued for a year – at the end of the year, I no longer walked with a cane, and had absolutely no pain or numbness whatsoever! I stay on a high-alkaline diet and drink lemon water. I keep my cells healthy and they keep me happy – my A1c is down considerably since I began this treatment. It takes not only the Dr’s expertise, but a proper diet on your part to make the entire package complete – and it WORKS – I’m living proof! And because of the diet – I was able to lose the excess weight and maintain control with diet and exercise. I could not even think about exercising before – but I now walk a mile every single day and thank GOD that I can! I ride my bike 4 miles a day – again – so very thankful that I can!

5. Katie
    Katie September 28, 2012 at 10:32 am | | Reply

Regarding chiropractic care and diabetes, check out the program called 8 Weeks to Wellness. I’ve personally completed this program, along with thousands of other people, who are no longer considered diabetic or pre-diabetic. It’s based on blood work before and after the program. It’s more extensive blood work testing than a medical doctor uses.

6. CJ
    CJ September 28, 2012 at 10:56 am | | Reply

@ Katie-

I imagine this program may help those with type 2. To my knowledge, and the rest of the medical community, nothing can “reverse” the autoimmunity associated with Type 1. Any chiropractor, natropath or otherwise, who says they can is nothing short of foolish. I will go to a chiropractor when my back hurts, and stick with my endo for my diabetes.

7. Katie
    Katie September 28, 2012 at 12:21 pm | | Reply

Thanks for your comment regarding my prior post. Chiropractic care was actually discovered by helping a deaf person regain their hearing again, and nothing to do with back pain. What I’ve learned about chiropractic is that when the doctors adjust the spine, it helps the nervous system deliver messages to the rest of the body. Knowing the nervous system coordinates all cells, functions, and organs in the body, it would seem that getting your spine/nervous system adjusted would be very beneficial in Type 1 diabetes. Any good chiropractor would be addressing the nervous system, not just back pain (a common myth in our society).

I’m not trying to discredit anything you posted. I’m just trying to open the doors to alternative options for people to consider. Chiropractic has a reputation for back pain, which it certainly can help with, but it is so much more holistic than pain & symptoms.

8. CJ
    CJ September 28, 2012 at 12:46 pm | | Reply

@ Katie

I am all for alternative medicine, but it has limits. Chiropractic care can not change the autoimmunity against the pancreas’ insulin producing cells. Chiropractic care can not spontanaously produce insulin in someone who no longer has the cells to produce it. End of story. Any chiropracter that claims they can should be out there “curing” the thousands of children diagnosed every year. I guess all the researchers that are working to stop the autoimmunity and recover beta cell function have been wasting their time, and should have been studying chiropracty instead. Sorry, this is just plain ignorant to me and a very sensative issue for those living with the disease and the parents who have to watch their children struggle. Be careful what claims you make without robust clinical trials to back it up.

9. Clkraatz
    Clkraatz October 4, 2012 at 6:25 pm | | Reply

I am the mother of a three year old T1…we almost lost him just before he turned two. Neither my husband nor I have a family history of diabetes. My husband relies (only) on western medicine, where I prefer to treat symptoms rather than mask them. I love my chiro and since I play roller derby, she has DEFINITELY kept me operational, and not just with head/neck/back pain. I haven’t ever questioned her about diabetes, and I am more than willing to try anything wholistic that may help. I don’t have any substantial knowledge one way or the other. What I do know is, every time someone claims to be able to “cure” diabetes, something carnal in me explodes. I have the same emotional response anytime an uneducated a-hole goes off about the horrible effects using insulin can have on the body. The only reason I have bothered to post this, is because I NEED to say thank you for acknowledging how sensitive, as well as painful, a subject this is for parents of T1 babies.