1. Cara
    Cara August 14, 2012 at 4:54 am | | Reply

I’ve seen both the movie & stage version. Honestly, there’s very little difference in the two. The only major thing is that the staged version takes place completely on the beauty shop & there are no men in the cast. Beyond that there is very little difference in the dialogue/story/etc.
    I have seen & love (for my own reasons) both versions. I also know that there are other things going on that are often overlooked. The play was based on real life events (the author had lost a sister to d in a very similar situation). But you must also note that the play was written in the early 80s, some years after the actual events occurred. There was much less technology & knowledge at that time. Also, Shelby had a heart condition as well.
    Sadly, this is often overlooked by media, and can turn out to be much more misleading, especially if they set the new film in a current day setting.
    I also writer about the T1/T2 aspect, but at this point, we are just going to have to see what the out come is. Personally, I encourage all PWD to go see it, in the theater. And use that time (before & after) to do your own advocacy. I did that when I saw the play on Broadway a few years ago. You might teach someone a lesson.

2. Cara
    Cara August 14, 2012 at 4:57 am | | Reply

And, I just realized it’s a made for TV movie. Oops. I still think there are chances to educate from this though. If you hear someone talking about it, speak up. Blog about it. Write about it on your fb account. We can turn it into a powerful chance to advocate on our own.

3. Lyrehca
    Lyrehca August 14, 2012 at 6:41 am | | Reply

I’ve also tried to reach out to them to connect about the accuracy of diabetes and pregnancy, but have had no luck. WIll be interested to see it when it comes out.

4. Johanna B
    Johanna B August 14, 2012 at 8:03 am | | Reply

I went to college in Natchitoches, LA where the movie was filmed. In fact, I was in the same class with Bobby Harling who wrote the script about his sister who wasn’t named Shelby. It’s based on his memories of his sister regardless of how Hollywood “spiffed” it up. I do regret that the movies hands out some rather startling “realities” about PWD. It will be interesting to see the new version.

5. Mike Bonventre
    Mike Bonventre August 14, 2012 at 9:53 am | | Reply

I was diagnosed with type two diabetes 15 years ago. It was 167 at the time of a serious car accident. I was put on blood presure meds because that is what they did with diabetics. Last year my Dr. said that was not a good call after several years of complaining about low blood pressure. Then Actos, Byetta that made me crave food, then Lantis that gave me all side affects. I took myself off all meds except Metformin when my sugars finally hit 500. Every time I lost weight and got my sugar in acceptable range My Dr. changed meds. I have lost 64 lbs this year and my sugar levels are slowly coming down to high 200′s in just 8 weeks and my DR. is having a fit and wants me to start taking more meds (Bydureon). I am looking for a Dr. that is not a drug pusher or at least seems interested in mixing diet exercise with meds. I am in upstate NY and will travel to any Dr. with an open mind.

1. Karen
      Karen August 17, 2012 at 6:15 am | | Reply

Mike, have you heard of Dr. Richard Bernstein? He has a book and a practice and focuses on a low-carb diet and exercise, with as little insulin as possible to get normal blood sugars.

1. Mike Bonventre
        Mike Bonventre August 17, 2012 at 7:04 am | | Reply

I have not heard of him. I heard about DeWayne McCulley, author of Death To Diabetes http://www.deathtodiabetes.com He called me yesterday and explained how he went from a coma with a 1337 sugar peak in 2002 to a world famous author embraced by the medical community with A1C of 4.5 for the past ten years with no meds at all. I ordered his book and plain on speaking with him again. I will check Dr. Richard Bernstein as well. Thank you for your reply.

6. joan
    joan August 14, 2012 at 11:43 am | | Reply

I am Type I and I remember viewing a Baywatch episode where a guy had hypoglycemia and the lifeguards gave him an insulin shot!. It was years ago and I still remember jumping up out of my chair and screaming “OH MY GOD – NOW EVERYONE IS GOING TO THINK THEY KNOW HOW TO TREAT LOWS!” Very scary when medical information on a tv show or movie is not scrutinized for accuracy.

7. Andrea
    Andrea August 14, 2012 at 1:03 pm | | Reply

I worked for a time in the national resource centre of the Canadian Diabetes Association and we got a call once from a small theatre company who were putting on the SM play. They wanted to make a real effort to make the Diabetes scenes accurate. I went to see the play with some of my colleagues who also have type 1. I’d say that the small production we saw did better than the hollywood movie but they still follow the original script (which was, of course, a play before it was a movie, so the dialogue is not usually drastically adapted). So there were a few groans from the T1D members of the audience even though they had specifically asked for guidance on these issues. What’s missing in the storyline is that this is the story of ONE person with diabetes (and an accurate one at that since it’s based on the author’s sister) and is not representative of the disease or of all PWD.

I definitely get frustrated when diabetes is incorrectly portrayed in mainstream media (like when the girl in panic room injects herself with glucagon and reacts as quickly as if it were a poison antidote!). But I also understand that to make things interesting in movies, you have to dramatize it. So to put a positive spin on things, I always try to see these as educational opportunities. At least, as you say, patient advocates can use this to rebound with some more accurate information.