1. Seth Rothberg
    Seth Rothberg August 23, 2012 at 4:34 am | | Reply

Hi Allison, I like Kashi bars. They’re pretty high in protein, not too much sodium, and some of the varieties are what I consider low carb. My nutritionist introduced me to them. She suggests I eat them before or during exercise because of their protein. I especially like the Roasted Almond Crunch bars. Each packet has two bars so it’s easy to eat only a half serving. A whole serving is 26 carbs, which I don’t consider low carb. But 13 carbs for a half-serving is just right. Plus I like crunch.

Nothing but healthy ingredients, too.

2. Dan Patrick
    Dan Patrick August 23, 2012 at 8:25 am | | Reply

Hi Allison,
    Good to here you are off to a great start and the fact that you took the time to check it out.
    The discovery of insulin in 1921 brought freedom. This was just the beginning. Next to consider is the question ordered freedom. This is where the true challenge rests. A routine is just that, a routine. Does it help us to manage our condition in the best manner possible. When any of us find an ordered freedom the next questions is the ability to have sustainable freedom. Meaning a sustainable freedom is the ability to respond and modify our choices based upon new factors which have entered or existed our lifes. Keep up the good work and as always have a great day.
    Dan

3. cps
    cps August 23, 2012 at 8:58 am | | Reply

Forget pricey exercise classes. Just try running outside. It’s the most efficient form of cardio exercise you can do- and it can be fun. If you go for a run in the mornng you’re guaranteed to feel relaxed, calm and focused for the rest of the day. Good luck to you.

4. Allison
    Allison August 23, 2012 at 9:25 am | | Reply

“The body only needs roughly 300 calories per meal, and more than that means it’ll turn the food into fat. Yikes!”

Yikes is right – this is completely wrong! What are Ginger’s credentials? Please please do some research on your own…

1. Ginger Vieira
      Ginger Vieira August 23, 2012 at 11:22 am | | Reply

Hi Allison,

What we had actually discussed was not that ALL bodies only need 300 calories at a time, but instead that due to Allison’s level of activity and desire to lose weight, she will benefit by taking her daily calorie intake for weight loss (approximately 1500 – 1800 calories) and divide those calories evenly throughout the day. 4 to 5 meals a day would lead to those meals being around 200 to 400 calories, thus the 300 average for Allison.

-Ginger

2. Ginger Vieira
      Ginger Vieira August 23, 2012 at 11:28 am | | Reply

My training, by the way, includes 15 records in drug-tested powerlifting and certified in the ISSA in personal training and fitness.

Everyone’s body is different. As a powerlifter, I was eating 400 to 600 calories per meal because of my activity level. Everyone is different.

1. Allison
        Allison August 23, 2012 at 1:11 pm | | Reply

Thanks for the response – I like reading the breakdown of the recommended food intake. Good luck to both of you :)

5. Sysy
    Sysy August 23, 2012 at 10:01 am | | Reply

So glad you go to experience this and got positive results! Good for you! Oh and thanks for writing about it!

6. Stacey D.
    Stacey D. August 23, 2012 at 11:16 am | | Reply

That’s one of the things I loved about her book – that she recommends doing experiments of your own to find what works best. Many medical professionals do not work that way but should. I love Special K bars – especially the chocolatey pretzel. 17g carbs, only 90 calories and I believe no HFCS. And taste good too. I hope you continue to reap the benefits of your coaching :)

7. Working with a Diabetes Coach | Living in Progress

[...] from DiabetesMine gave coaching a try for 4 weeks…and shared her [...]

8. Karen Logan
    Karen Logan August 23, 2012 at 12:05 pm | | Reply

I appreciate your article very much. I had no idea there were such things as diabeties coaches, although I did attend diabetes education classes when I was diagnosed in 2004.
    I am 55 years old, retired, and I get no exercise except for walking up and down the stairs at my apt complex to get the mail every day! I thought about doing yoga but haven’t done it yet. I kind of graze on different food all day long because at some point during the day I will feel sick. It happens every day. I am very much a junk food junkie and love sweets. I hate to cook so I don’t do that much and I eat a lot of sandwiches on whole wheat bread. I really don’t eat fast food that often cause I don’t drive so I can’t go get it. Therefore, my diet is pretty poor because like I said, I hate cooking. It would be nice to feel good and have some energy again. I actually think I need to gain a little bit of weight but maybe that should come from adding bulk to muscles rather than eating a lot? Thanks again for this interesting article.

1. Ginger Vieira
      Ginger Vieira August 24, 2012 at 5:07 am | | Reply

Hi Joan,
      While your weight-gain could definitely be from some muscle development, most weightlifting that the average exerciser does isn’t the type that will build significant mass (it requires a rep-range of under 6-8 reps, with a weight you can barely lift for 6-8 reps). Instead, your weightlifting is probably helping maintain your muscle and muscular endurance — but we could chat about this further to know for sure. Certain types of exercise will use more glucose for fuel, while other types allow your body to use more body fat for fuel — it’s all exercise physiology!

An important part of how I work with my clients around nutrition and cravings for sweets, is to include those types of things that you love, in a way that longer makes them so alluring! My next book, coming out this winter, is on Emotional Eating with Diabetes. If you’d ever like to chat about developing a nutrition plan and exercise regimen for weight-loss, feel free to reach out for a free consultation!

2. Ginger Vieira
      Ginger Vieira August 24, 2012 at 5:08 am | | Reply

Oops! Your name is Karen ;) not Joan. I apologize for switching your name up with the commenter below!

9. joan
    joan August 23, 2012 at 4:58 pm | | Reply

Hi Allison. I am a PWD 1 (for 36 years). I recently switched to smaller meals several times a day (usually a carb and a protein). Although I am still taking the same amount of carbs as before (and bolusing appropriately), I am finding that by consuming carbs in smaller quantities, my glucoses are staying much more level with less high spikes. Has that been your experience?

Good for you for making some positive changes.

I have been reading diabetesmine.com for several years. My favorite blogs are those when you guys talk about yourselves.

10. AyeScarlett
    AyeScarlett August 24, 2012 at 8:12 am | | Reply

Wow, would love to have a Diabetes Coach for awhile . I wanted to add there are loads of breakfast foods other than carb heavy cereals, bagels etc… My faves are yogurts, fruits, eggs-scrambled, poached, boiled, omelet, sunny-side up. Eggs are a plus since they are high in protein and low in carbs and quick to cook. Add some shredded apple and a tbl of granola to yogurt or even low-fat pudding. Love these blogs by the way! :o )

1. Ginger Vieira
      Ginger Vieira August 24, 2012 at 8:59 am | | Reply

If you’d ever like to set up a consult to see if I’m the kind of coaching you’re looking for, let me know! Ginger@living-in-progress.com.

11. Andy
    Andy August 25, 2012 at 6:23 am | | Reply

Hi Allison,

Thanks a lot for sharing such valuable information with us. Millions of people across the world are suffering from diabetes. Your article has given a lot of tips which will surely help many and soothe their souls.

Regards,
    Andy

12. Harry Hendo
    Harry Hendo September 5, 2012 at 10:21 pm | | Reply

I came across this new cell phone based diabetes remote monitoring solution that seems to be a good way to offer diabetes coaching. The system connects various types of glucose meters to a cell phone device that can remotely monitor and evaluate blood glucose levels and then send coaching messages back to you via SMS messages. Looks interesting. For more information check out: http://www.confidantinc.com

13. Carrie C.
    Carrie C. September 7, 2012 at 9:17 am | | Reply

Parent of 6-year old with T1. Do coaches exist for parents? Know of one? Thanks!

1. Ginger Vieira
      Ginger Vieira September 7, 2012 at 9:42 am | | Reply

HI Carrie,

If you’re looking for a parenting coach, for general parenting, I can absolutely introduce you to you.

If you’re looking for a community of parents of children with diabetes, check out http://www.parentingdiabetickids.com

If you’d like to do 1-1 coaching around your child’s diabetes, I’d be happy to work with you.

-Ginger

14. Cathi
    Cathi September 25, 2012 at 12:49 pm | | Reply

I have not read all the comments so this may have been put to you before, but, have you ever thought of changing you eating lifestyle to plant based ie vegan/raw vegan? It may seem quite a HUGE step but, it really isn’t when you get the right info like the book 80/10/10 etc., this is how my partner put his sons type 1 into complete remission.

I hope this helps . . oh and I loved the positive picture on this post too!

All the best.

Cathi x

PS if you want any further info just get in touch.

15. Serg
    Serg April 27, 2013 at 8:43 am | | Reply

Thanks for substantial article. I have diabetes of 1 type since 2001, I try to spend more time in the country. I swim much, I go on foot.