1. Sarah
    Sarah August 30, 2012 at 6:04 am | | Reply

It is so amazing how, in an instant, your care no longer revolves around just you, but now this other person who depends on you being healthy, and the new drive that it gives you to BE healthier no matter what.
    Congrats Gina. Babies are a wonderful blessing!

2. Stacey D.
    Stacey D. August 30, 2012 at 6:20 am | | Reply

Gina, this was a beautiful post. I am so happy for you and hope the rest of your pregnancy and the delivery go smoothly! I’ve heard so many great A1c readings from pregnant women, I’m wondering if that’s the key? lol

1. Gina
      Gina August 30, 2012 at 7:36 am | | Reply

Stacey,

My sister told me I should be pregnant all the time so my numbers are always in range haha!!

3. Anne Findlay Dowling
    Anne Findlay Dowling August 30, 2012 at 10:08 am | | Reply

congrats, Gina! I am so happy for you! it has been fun sharing our experiences over the past many months. :)

I agree that there is no motivation like carrying a child for improving diabetes care; I think my diabetes management will forever be changed for the better as a result.

4. Bernard Farrell
    Bernard Farrell August 30, 2012 at 10:14 am | | Reply

I’m so happy for all three of you GIna! I hope the rest of your pregnancy goes smoothly.

5. Romeo Higbee
    Romeo Higbee August 30, 2012 at 11:31 am | | Reply

I really liked your post.Really thank you!

6. Sysy
    Sysy August 30, 2012 at 12:22 pm | | Reply

yay Gina!!!!! :)

7. landileigh
    landileigh August 30, 2012 at 3:14 pm | | Reply

Congratulations Gina and Mike! you look terrific! I’m so proud of you!

all my love,

landi

8. Julia
    Julia August 30, 2012 at 7:58 pm | | Reply

Congratulations! So happy for you. And that baby is lucky to have you as his mother. Wow! How does one get an A1c down three points so quickly? Amazing. We test our DD two hours after eating but if high, of course, stays high until correction kicks in. Wonder if you had to lower your carb intake quite a bit also in order to achieve your goals; sure it wasn’t easy. I am glad you quit your job, so you focus completely on the little one. Good timing.

9. Gina
    Gina August 30, 2012 at 8:05 pm | | Reply

Julia,

It was really hard work to get it down so fast.

Mostly because I was scared to death. But I did start eating better carbs and making sure to bolus 15 minute before eating. And also add in the dreaded morning sickness as well!

10. Deirdre Apablasa
    Deirdre Apablasa August 30, 2012 at 8:23 pm | | Reply

It is a full time job but worth every second! I have a 23 year old to prove it. Good luck!

11. Nice Diabetes
    Nice Diabetes August 30, 2012 at 10:01 pm | | Reply

Congrats on your pregnancy and looking forward to reading the post about the happy arrival of your little treasure

12. Caroline
    Caroline August 31, 2012 at 8:55 am | | Reply

Wow! Tears and goosebumps reading this post, Gina. I am so happy for you and your husband….I hope this is the start of not only a new life, but a more positive outlook on D!

13. August’s Best of the ‘Betes « Rolling in the D

[...] The Best Motivational Post follows a rather common theme in the awards this month.  It goes to Gina Capone’s guest-post on DiabetesMine: How Pregnancy With Diabetes Saved My Life. [...]

14. Ginger Vieira
    Ginger Vieira September 5, 2012 at 5:03 am | | Reply

Gina! I’m so excited for you and your growing family — and so inspired by your hard work to get your A1C down. Congrats!

15. Robert H.
    Robert H. September 6, 2012 at 12:51 am | | Reply

Congrats Gina, it is not easy of having diabetes while being pregnant, You have to double check your diet.

16. Maureen
    Maureen September 8, 2012 at 4:47 pm | | Reply

I was diagnosed at age 2 with T1D. I remember being told I would not be able to have children. At 26, I had my daughter slightly before Christmas. My second daughter came along when I was 30. Last year, both my daughters had a daughter within 2 months of each other. I retired shortly after at 63 and get to babysit regularly. The joy and wonder conbtinue daily.

17. Grace
    Grace September 10, 2012 at 12:33 am | | Reply

Hi Gina, I understand how you feel. I have the same issue two years ago. No worry, with proper medical care everything will be fine.

18. Lori Wetzel
    Lori Wetzel September 25, 2012 at 7:18 am | | Reply

Fabulous post!! So much happiness to you! Our children have a way of motivating us and changing us from the moment they belong to us. Good luck with it all! – Mama to 3 kids who are my heart and sould (one with T1D).

19. Pregnancy and Type 1 Diabetes
    Pregnancy and Type 1 Diabetes December 18, 2012 at 5:39 am |

[...] Gina Capone shares a powerful story of how pregnancy  with diabetes saved her life at DiabetesMine. [...]

20. Pregnancy and Type 1 Diabetes | Avoid Getting Pregnant

21. Hani Ibrahim
    Hani Ibrahim May 26, 2013 at 12:10 pm | | Reply

Dear Gina,
    I am an endocrinologist working in Egypt. you have indeed reminded me of all those great ladies who have successfully beaten diabetes and hypertension throughout there pregnancies and managed to deliver magnificent babies, I bow to their great determination and strength

22. Monika V.
    Monika V. July 2, 2013 at 1:18 pm | | Reply

Gina,
    Thank you for writing this and sharing your struggle!! I have been a T1D for 17 years and just got married last year. I am desperately wanting to have a baby, but like you, my A1c is not where they want it to be. The clock is ticking too (I’ll be 31 this year). Your story is inspiring and I am so thankful I came across it. Makes me more hopeful and less alone in the “not perfect diabetic” category!! Keep up the great work…I’ll be working on it right along side you!