1. Leighann of D-Mom Blog
    Leighann of D-Mom Blog August 25, 2012 at 6:21 am | | Reply

When we were on pens way back when, we were told to inject, hold it in place for a slow count of five or ten, and then turn the pen a half turn before pulling it back out. Something about the turn was supposed to reduce the leakage.

Does that work? I dunno. But we rarely saw insulin leaking out.

Any tip is worth a try in my opinion.

1. Mike Ratrie
      Mike Ratrie August 27, 2012 at 6:52 am | | Reply

Sounds like we have a new title for a WillD blog post – “As the Pen Turns…”

2. David
    David August 25, 2012 at 10:51 am | | Reply

Every blue moon, I draw blood when syringe-injecting insulin and despite always worrying that insulin came out, I have never had
    a spike in bg.

3. Joanne
    Joanne August 25, 2012 at 9:42 pm | | Reply

At dx, we were told a shot that leaked was called a ” wet shot” and we’re supposed to document it as such. It always seemed a bit weird to me. When we did shots, we counted to 5 and then removed the needle. Seemed to work pretty well.

And hey…. Thanks for the shout out!

4. Jasmine
    Jasmine August 26, 2012 at 5:51 am | | Reply

I’m currently on MDI with Humalog and Lantus. Every single shot, every single time, I have leakage both at the injection site and and the needle tip, and I always count to ten.

I may have to try this turn of the pen, but it sounds really unpleasant….

5. Brian
    Brian August 27, 2012 at 6:51 am | | Reply

For me – it is needle in, plunger down fast, needle out fast, and finger over ‘the hole’. This seems to prevent leakage.

I don’t mind the 31 gauge BD needles that exist today (compared to the 28(27?) gauge, individually sealed needles I used back in the 1980s.) Those hurt. Ow.

Not that 31 gauge needles can’t hurt – but they are amazing how easily they go into the skin and how frequently I feel nothing.